Cam cleats for O'Day 23

Jun 14, 2015
Oday 23 Clinton Lake
Hi all,

I am wanting to exchange my horn cleats for cam cleats on my O'Day 23, but wanted to see if anyone has cam cleats for their jib sheets.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
It's a nice upgrade. I don't use cleat hitches, but rather a few turns around the base of the horn cleat is usually enough.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have cam cleats on my boat, with high angle fairleads. Makes it easier to uncleat from the high side.

Others have half horn/half jam cleats, and they like them a lot. As I recall, the Precision 21 was originally set up like that. Works well when I sailed a P-21 years ago, from what I remember.

Oh, wow, went looking for a pic of my jib cleats, and here's a still from a movie I took last Fall. These are Viadana cleats from Sailcare.com, reportedly the exact same design as Harken H150s, at lower cost, and just not polished quite the same. The base looks gooey because I bedded them with Maine Sail's butyl tape. Don't look at the teak, that nasty flaky Cetol has been removed and they are teak oiled this season. :D

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 7.35.42 PM.png

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Impulse aug 04 024.jpg It's a good upgrade.... however, if you have winches, don't put fairleads on your cam cleats.... or use any kind of captive cleat for that matter..... because you won't be able to quickly load and unload the winch drum. The cleat is placed on the exit side of the winch, like you current cleats. You may have to put your cleat on a riser to get the right exit angle... this is to prevent overrides.....

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I never thought I would like this option but they came with the boat. We use them in place of a cam cleat. They don't really self tail more than a half turn but will hold the sheet like a cleat. For a quick release in gusty conditions we run the sheet through the gripper then reverse it and take the sheet to the high side. Pulls free much quicker than having a cam cleat.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/bar...hSuXna_J5shplm2UA4j0oa29nrwj3V7oosaAlhA8P8HAQ