Registered users don't see ads

Cal 2-34 at auction - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Cal' started by sgwright67, Jan 16, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,049 posts, 976 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    No. I would have offered $1.25 and they move it. Ha ha.

Kermit and sgwright67 like this.
  2. sgwright67

sgwright67

Joined Jan 16, 2019
    15 posts, 3 likes
    Looking Cruiser
    TBD Ca Victoria, BC

3. sgwright67

sgwright67

Joined Jan 16, 2019
    15 posts, 3 likes
    Looking Cruiser
    TBD Ca Victoria, BC
    I attended the auction for the Cal 2-34 today. The boat was in better shape than expected inside, with a decent U shaped dinette to port, and galley along the starboard side, with two aft singles (engine access on both sides and below stairs). The engine was an original 2 cyl Farymann with V-drive. There were about 25 people bidding on this and a Paceship 26. A sad revelation came when the auctioneer said the name of the owner (not sure why he would do this?) and it was someone I used to work with who has fallen on hard luck. I considered bidding on it when I heard this, but thought better of it.
    The Cal went for $900, and the Paceship for $1000, maybe because it had a 9.9 4 stroke motor.
    The mainsail on the Cal was in fairly good shape also, with two other sails in bags. Someone got a solid boat and a project. If I had a bit more time to figure out a plan to transport it to my driveway, I might have bid on it, but I now know that the Cal 2-34 can remain on my list of suitable boats, as the layout was quite funtional, and I like the encapsulated keel.
    Thanks to all for providing feedback!

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,110 posts, 3,330 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    For many buying a sailboat is a journey not a onetime thing. This is also true of sailing. I guess it makes perfect sense.

Keep looking and refining what you think you expect of this adventure.

sgwright67 likes this.
  5. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    955 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    “There is nothing more expensive than a cheap boat” Confucius.

sailnoproblem and jon hansen like this.
  6. MitchM

MitchM

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    710 posts, 100 likes
    Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32
    US Erie PA
    there was very nice freshwater 1 owner cal 34 w a lot of upgrades (elec, sails, bim, dodger, interior... ) on the market for 8K in erie last summer. no takers, and my friend still owns it... it is a sold dry wonderful boat. long ago i read the story of the cal 34 that was modified into an around the world traveler (but alas, the spouse forced me to give away my 30 years' worth of cruising world..)

jon hansen likes this.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!