Cable steer auto pilot for a Mac 26

Jul 2, 2019
Macgregor 26M Cape May Nj
Any MacGregor 26M owners out there who have installed or know of anyone who is familiar with the Lowrance cable steer auto pilot, and if so are they satisfied with it’s performance on there 62M. Thinking of installing a Lawrence cable steer auto pilot on my 26M but not sure if the twin rudders would overpower the auto pilot. Appreciate any information. Thanks Clipping

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL

Do you have the motor disconnect kit or are you sailing with the motor still connected?

Jul 2, 2019
Macgregor 26M Cape May Nj
Thanks Jim for getting back to me, and I thought I had one of Rogers last Mac 26M’s. I do have the quick disconnect same same as you. I presently have a Raymarine linear below deck auto pilot but I’m not happy with it having to go below to disconnect it when not being used. I’m also thinking about Ray Marine wheel steer but want to find out Moore from other 26M owners who have experience with the Lowrance cable steer. Thanks, Clipping

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Mine's a 2013.

If you're looking at the Lowrance unit I was scanning, it says good for up to 30' single outboard. Your twin rudders shouldn't exert more force than that. Today, a 30' boat would have a 300hp outboard...

It seemed to require some of their electronics to go with it, too. Total driveout cost for complete system might be significant.

Like you, I'll be anxious to hear if anyone has tried it on a Mac.

I haven't installed an autopilot in mine yet. Still hashing over my options. I understand your point about having the linear below deck.

Last edited: