Cable pass thru fitting leaking on a 99 361

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Hey all, so I noticed last serious rain storm that there was a leak in the roof under the laminate wood trim that covers the mast base from inside. After removing them I saw it was coming from two of the pass thru fittings for electronics going up the mast, not sure which. I hope pass thru fitting is the correct name for this, I added a picture instead of thousand words.

It wouldn't be hard to replace these as there is a disconnect for all of the mast wires inside but maybe there is a better fix? the one closest to the mast already has some sealant on it so this isn't a new thing, though it's new for me after 10 years ownership. Any tips appreciated, maybe even some tip on which one to get if a new is in order.

thanks!

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have the same ones..... and the leaked until I put butyl tape around them. Will be replacing next year

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
mine all leaked(5) ,just add a small o-ring to existing rubber and they all stopped leaking.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
I'll try removing them, carefully labeling the wires of course, and take them to west marine see if there is a replacement, if not I'll look at a fix for them. The leak is not coming from under them but rather thru the wire hole so the rubber must have lost its seal. thanks!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
You may be able to find a split grommet at most auto parts stores, (mine leaked also)

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Ok so decided to do this "right" and almost regret it already. Just FYI in case others are thinking about doing this maybe my steps will help. The connector used was the white "sugar cube" type connectors but all screws were rusted stuck in it so I had to cut the cables free, I made drawings, took pictures and labeled every wire before cutting. I then pulled the wire out thru the deck, took the screw part off the fitting and saw the rubber grommets were both damaged. I took the grommets and "nut" to WM where they have all new fitting even though I just need a grommet. bought two, put the grommets in the old fitting and reassembled, saving the actual fittings for a later day.

finished right? not quite. one of these were coax cable, but not the RG6 I got new connectors for, nor did the WM standard deck fitting grommet fit, it was RG59 for the TV antenna and smaller than RG6. So I had to get coax crimp tool and connectors for RG59, which they had at Lowes, along with the sugar cube connectors, none of this at WM. To fix the deck fitting not fitting, I'm also ordering the shakespeare deck fitting (WM 6558209) as it has grommet adapters for smaller wire, again I'll probably just use the grommet.

Something simple took all day running around to hardware stores and WM trying to find parts for this, suspected as much as WM never really has what I need in my store. looking back I should have sourced all this before starting it but I really didn't think it would be hard to find the parts. just need those grommets and it's back together sealed up... yay!

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I had the same problem with those leaking cables when I bought my 2000 B361. I just wrapped them with Rescue Tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-...09166&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=rescue+tape&psc=1

I don't think I paid this much for it, but and I don't think I got this same width, but otherwise it's the same stuff. Works great in sealing those water intrusion points. I have to do this every spring as I store my boat inside during winter, so the mast comes down each fall.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Came really close to using tape, in fact it was on for a bit after I noticed the issue but Mrs complained about the look and boat might be coming up for sale so figured I'd make it solid. Dang over $50, the ones I got were $7 and I really only needed the grommet... Looks nice though.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Came really close to using tape, in fact it was on for a bit after I noticed the issue but Mrs complained about the look and boat might be coming up for sale so figured I'd make it solid. Dang over $50, the ones I got were $7 and I really only needed the grommet... Looks nice though.
On a Benny I'd spend the dough, your boat is worth it. However, I really think you'd be more that fine wadding up a ball of butyl tape in there and taping the outside with self amalgamating rigger's tape. Pro-Tip, clean the cable with Goof Off adhesive remover. Actually clean everything with it, lol. Use tef-gel on the threads of the cap when you put it back on.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Something simple took all day running around to hardware stores and WM trying to find parts for this,
This proves my case for multiplying any project time estimate by 4 to get an estimate of TTR - time to repair. And @Syversens didn't identify lunch or break time, let alone beer contemplation time.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The butyl tape stopped the leek on mine, however I am going to replace these as mine are peeling and look shabby. There are also some different styles that I will also explore. However in regards to the VHF and TV antennas, I was thinking a different approach to eliminate splicing. Now the wires come through the deck then inside the boat where they are spliced prior to the typical wire connection. Couldn’t there just be a fitting epoxied to / through the deck where I can just screw the cable fittings onto??

Thanks

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Update on this, I replaced and installed new fittings with butyl tape, so far no water is getting thru the fitting so that's good news, the bad news is there is still water intrusion and its coming down inside the sleeve for the cables... One is from the deck/steaming and the other is from the anchor light. Anyone have a good tip on how to stop that type of leak? I'm thinking maybe climbing up there and see what's going on but also started thinking somehow open up sleeve a "drain" before it enters the cabin... This leak is significantly less, just a few drops but with everything exposed now its easy to see.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Syversens I would inspect the light fitting. Install can be done several ways. I like to first heat shrink the electrical wires to the light. This involves a piece of adhesive heat shrink long enough to extend over the wire sheath. Then wrap the wires with Self-amalgamating tape before attaching the light to the mast.
Not impervious but the best I know to limit water intrusion. I have seen some folk squirt silicone caulk into the wire jacket. They say it also works.

You may also be getting water running down the wires in the mast. To stop this be sure your wires have a drip loop at the bottom. Then the wires can go up then down into a sealed tube to go through the mast step into the hull. See attached image of tubes in my mast step. Assuming you have a keel step mast look to effect the same principals of the drip loop then into the deck. If deck stepped be sure that the weep holes at the bottom of the mast are clean so water inside the mast can escape onto the deck.
Good luck. Maybe a picture or two would aid in alternative suggestions.
AFD9AB3A-E54B-4038-8A91-324C81F13BFC.jpeg
351CCED9-B449-4C78-8E78-E23649594CB1.jpeg