Cabin Sole Replacement

Mar 11, 2013
S2 9.2 Port Washington, WI
Hi, I have a 1985 S2 9.2 Aft cockpit. The teak and holly cabin sole became water stained from water seeping in along the edge as condensate from the boat drained down and into the lockers adjacent to the floor. I have already sanded and bleached it once and the veneer is sanded through in areas so I'm faced with replacing the floor.

I notice that it is nailed down. Has anyone accomplished the removal and replacement of such a floor? Precautions? Suggestions? I need to order new teak and holly plywood...should I go with 1/4" thick or go thicker?

Thanks a bunch!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Hi, I have a 1985 S2 9.2 Aft cockpit. The teak and holly cabin sole became water stained from water seeping in along the edge as condensate from the boat drained down and into the lockers adjacent to the floor. I have already sanded and bleached it once and the veneer is sanded through in areas so I'm faced with replacing the floor.

I notice that it is nailed down. Has anyone accomplished the removal and replacement of such a floor? Precautions? Suggestions? I need to order new teak and holly plywood...should I go with 1/4" thick or go thicker?

Thanks a bunch!
1/4 inch will be fine ...it should be glued down not nailed

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks Woody,

I have searched the supplier sources and find that I must order these plywood boards from out of state and have them shipped to me, in Wisconsin. I contacted Maritime Wood Products out of Stuart FL. Is this a known source or is there someone else who does this routinely?

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Thanks Woody,

I have searched the supplier sources and find that I must order these plywood boards from out of state and have them shipped to me, in Wisconsin. I contacted Maritime Wood Products out of Stuart FL. Is this a known source or is there someone else who does this routinely?
Please let us know where you end up getting it along with the price. I'll be doing the same soon.
Thanks!

Mar 11, 2013
OK, I will come back to this forum when I finalize my order. It looks like this will be a bout $250 - 275/4X8 sheet plus shipping (270). Wish there were a simpler solution. But, doesn't look like it's going to be easy/inexpensive.

Don

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
try teak east in Donalds SC they may be able to help you on the price and shipping ask for Eddie

Oct 21, 2014
S2 9.2 Corpus Christi
OK, sounds like I joined too late to help you, but I did this job a few years ago on my S2 9.2A. I'm not wood worker par excellance, so I made some patterns out of thick poster board and, in one case, out of much cheaper plywood. This seemed to help a lot, because as you know there is no such thing as a straight line aboard a small boat. The nasty places as you may have noticed are the port side deck under the chart desk and there is a little triangular area right below the cabinets that turns out to be quite tricky. Looks like S2 used glue blobs or something to get the curvature right. If you don't have to replace this particular piece, I would advise that you do not. Also if this is all cause by seeping water, check the seats supports on both sides, the "boxes" that have the under the seat lockers.You may actually have to replace the portion of the marine plywood facing the center-line on both sides. I had to.

Mar 11, 2013
Hi and thanks for weighing in on this.

Actually, I'm still working on my first project - removing old and replacing with new...water heater....whew, that is a project!

Getting near to pulling the trigger on replacing the floor. I found a huge difference in cost for teak and holly floor. It seems that the last recommendatation on this string - by PBO3131 - will be my choice. Boulter seems to know the market and has their system set up to ship to your door - at a fair price.

I don't have teak and holly under my chart table...it is carpet under there on mine.

I think the biggest challenge will be to cut the new and not "screw up the surface" in the process. Haven't started to remove the old, so, I don't know what I'm in for!

Thanks for your input!

Don

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Be sure to put a new support under the mast support post while you are at it. It's a common problem the it is non existent or missing. If you have a dent in the deck or your head door hits the cabinet before the stop on the cabinet you are a lucky winner!

Mar 11, 2013
Just out of curiosity, does anyone, here, know of someone who repairs old (about 15 years old) Raymarine ST4000 Autohelm units? Mine has a digital display which only provides a couple of lines...so, the digital display needs replacing.

Don

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Just out of curiosity, does anyone, here, know of someone who repairs old (about 15 years old) Raymarine ST4000 Autohelm units? Mine has a digital display which only provides a couple of lines...so, the digital display needs replacing.

Don
just look for a used one on ebay

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
Hi Skippie 10. I am in Milwaukee and interested in what is under your floor. I have a 1981 8.5 with the common affliction of the mast support post creating a dent in the cabin sole. I am planning on removing part of the cabin sole to get at the mast support of lack there of. I would appreciate any picts of what is under the floor.

Mar 11, 2013
is the display case black
Yes, the case is black with orange buttons (square). I tried ebay but could not find a replacement. The LED's are partially burned out so it is unintelligible. Wish I could find a replacement! Or, a place I could send for repair.

Don

Mar 11, 2013
Hey Jguyer, I'll be working on the floor in the next month....need to order the teak and holly plywood from the company recommended on this string and it will probably take 10 days to get here. Don

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
Hey Jguyer, I'll be working on the floor in the next month....need to order the teak and holly plywood from the company recommended on this string and it will probably take 10 days to get here. Don
I've got pics of under the cabin floor of an 8.5. I'll post a few that show the head/salon bulkhead the best . I can send more off line if you wish or a cd with all of them.

Bron Taoras
Lithirish
S2 8.5 #088
Rocky River, Oh
taorasbk@aol.com

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Yes, the case is black with orange buttons (square). I tried ebay but could not find a replacement. The LED's are partially burned out so it is unintelligible. Wish I could find a replacement! Or, a place I could send for repair.

Don
OK i checked with my friend in coco to see if he possibly had one we bought a use auto p for the motor to get him back running and replace the flux gate compass but it did not have the display control box as thought it did sorry no help here...i will keep a look out for one if i find one will let you know

Mar 11, 2013
Wow, really appreciate the photos.

Now, I have an S2 9.2 A but the set up is probably the same. Do the photos point forward and aft? How does water get past the vertical barriers/substructure?

Don