Cabin sole removal H280

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
I'm in the process of removing and refinishing the teak/holly flooring in my 1996 H280. I attempted to remove the largest aft piece of flooring today, but after taking out the screws, it wouldn't lift out. Before applying leverage to lift it up, thought it might be best to check w/ someone who has done this before: Is there anything else holding the flooring in besides the screws that are visible on the surface of the wood?

Thanks, matt

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Same boat and have a little delamination near the head/shower. Would be interested in the solution as I ay have to pull mine out also.
BK

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Back in the 80's, Ericson used to use some sealant under their T&H sole pieces on some models, as well as screws and plugs.
There might have been some reason that the extra construction step seemed needed at the time, but it has caused owners some anguish ever since when it was time to remove and refinish. My particular model had only screws w/plugs, so the process was more straightforward.
My guess is that your factory thought that, right or wrong, there might some 'give' to parts of the sole and gluing it down was a way make it feel solid. Perhaps. Maybe. (?)

Worst case scenario is ruining your sole piece(s) when you take them up. Make new patterns and make new pieces. However you arrive at the finished solution, the result will be awesome to behold. :)
Those Darned sheets of T&H ply used to run about $150. / sheet.... probably more nowadays.
We have a lengthly thread on this subject over at ericsonyachts.org. If you want the link let me know.

Good luck to you.

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
I went ahead and very carefully applied leverage with a large flat head screwdriver (head covered by a rag to prevent scratching) and a large plastic putty knife and it came up w/out damage. Turns out that accumulated dirt, dust and dampness over 20 yrs had created a "glue" of sorts that was holding it in. Very gratifying to remove it and to thoroughly clean the bilge and surrounding areas covered up by the sole. I took the cabin sole pieces home and on a workbench applied teak cleaner, lightly sanded it, and put on 2-3 coats of teak oil--really looks great!