Cabin Sole "bathtub ring" stain

May 8, 2019
Catalina 22 Jordan Lake
Unfortunately, I allowed a good bit of rain water to sit in the cabin sole long enough for stains to form. Clorox won't seem to touch it. Any other suitable cleaners or suggestions? I'm considering painting it if all else fails.
Thanks!

Full disclosure - it sat for a year while I was recovering from knee surgery....

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Bar keepers friend and a scotch bright pad should clean it right up. It will take a substantial amount of elbow grease though and you may want a few different coarseness for the pads to really get those stubborn spots.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You might try toilet bowl cleaner. I use "The Works" to clean water stains off the hull. Works wonders with no scrubbing.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Just say NO to abrasives or abrasive pads. That is a last resort to be used only if you plan to refinish.
We need more info to advise you. What is the surface? Fiberglass? Wood? Simulated wood laminate?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
oxalic acid mixed w/water, a tip from a slip-mate, just bought 2# of it off Amazon for ~ 10 buks...

Sep 30, 2013
oxalic acid mixed w/water, a tip from a slip-mate, just bought 2# of it off Amazon for ~ 10 buks...
I've never used oxalic acid, but there are a ton of comments on the interwebs recommending it. Right in line with the toilet bowl cleaner suggestion, just a different acid. ("The Works" is hydrochloric.) I'll bet either one would work. Gel coat is gel coat, whether inside or outside the boat.

Agree with @Captain Larry-DH. I would try hard to avoid abrasive scrubbing.

Sep 30, 2013
Oh and, you will want a strong fan blowing through the cabin, maybe a respirator even. The fumes may get nasty.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
And gloves. It can get eat your skin and organs. Avoid direct contact. Do a web search on oxalic safety.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Oxalic acid is also the ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend too. I've had good luck making a paste out of it, and leaving it sit for a few minutes on the stain before rubbing. Watch out for spilling it on aluminum trailers though-

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
just google it (as Gene suggests)...has it's pre-cautions....bottom line it works, or chose other methods... Lysol seems to be a good alternative...

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
try SNO BOL toilet bowl cleaner, it is a gel, just smear it on , wait about 15 minutes scrub lightly and rinse. Also cheap source for Oxalic acid is cascade dishwasher gel Works great on vertical surfaces as it is a gel. Put couple of cap fuls in a half gallon to gallon of warm water and its same stuff as expensive teak cleaner. Brush with gentle brush repeat as needed and rinse off , dry out and re oil, easiest teak treatment for frugal sailors.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
fwiw, used the oxalic yday, the boat was a mess sitting on the hard since Florence amongst pine trees...sponged on, hosed off after a minute, clean and no serious elbow grease required, especially effective at the scum build up at the waterline, took all of an hour for all topsides....(use elbow length rubber gloves and eye protection, don't ask how I know that!)

May 8, 2019
Catalina 22 Jordan Lake
I appreciate all the suggestions. I was able to visit MerSea today and had a few other priorities, mainly cleaning. I keep the boat in a "dry slip," on the trailer, rigged up and ready to go. In fact, the cleaning almost got ditched today when the wind seemed to pick up! Which is often the case. I'll go out to the lake with a few maintenance or repair items to take care of....then the wind will pick up....end of projects for that day!