C309 sea trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2012
Catalina 309 Annapolis
New member here with questions. Not computer savvy so thank you in advance for any suggestions re: board. Have a purchase agreement on a 2007 C309 with only 23 hours on engine. Sad story for current owner who must sell boat. I am wondering about anything that could be suggested to look at in detail given age of boat and relative newness. Has only seen two seasons in water. Boat obviously shows as new. Doing survey and sea trial next Monday. Original batteries, fresh bottom paint. Head and galley look as if never used. Also had some misgivings about in mast furler but thats what it comes with. Am somewhat mechanically savvy but please offer any ideas or suggestions even if you feel they are basic. Again, thank you all and am looking forward to contributing to the forum in the future.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Sounds like you're being thorough, getting the sea trial in addition to the survey. Original batteries are probably getting close to the end of their useful life. The debate over in-mast furling goes on and on, but I can tell you that the in-mast furling on my brand new 2007 was a joke, but really only because the sail had some vertical battens in it, and they didn't go into the mast smoothly. Much jamming and wear. I had a local sailmaker take them out and recut the sail so it is roachless. Performs fine, and no more jamming problems. Check the main for wear at the batten pockets. If no wear, see how it performs. If there's wear, I would suggest a batten removal operation. Mine was $150.00.

My 2007 had a lot of cracks in the gelcoat throughout the decks, in both the non-skid and the glossy areas in the first season. Could have been peculiar to my boat or was there a problem in 2007? Dunno. Mine is hull number 82. I spent a LOT of time writing letters and talking on the phone with Jerry Butler, as they did not want to make repairs. After months of appeals, Jerry Butler agreed to repair them, and flew a guy to my city to make extensive and effective repairs. So, just a "head's up" for you to see if the gelcoat is in the condition you'd expect. Obviously, other boats of various ages can provide a visual reality check for you.

Otherwise, I can think of no known problem areas with the 309 that would deserve special attention by your surveyor.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
You must be buying "Mental Floss" at DYC. I own the first 309 they sold, and keep it just down the road at Stingray Point. The 309 is a nice boat. I've had few problems in 5 seasons. DYC hauled it for the winter after the first season, and they noted some "pimples" on one area of the bottom; they got approval from Catalina to remove all of the gelcoat on the bottom, barrier coat, and repaint. No further problems. Only other chronic issue is the refrigerator, which has never really worked right and is a common problem on the first couple of model years.

I've done a lot of upgrades, some for performance, some for comfort, some for maintenance, and some for convenience. I'd be happy to show you if you'd like. The 309 really lends itself to upgrading. PM me if you'd like to meet. I know your boat; it was next to mine on the hard that first winter, just after it was delivered from the factory!

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
I have C309 #20 and I love the in-mast furling but mine did not have the vertical battens. One minor thing to check is the drain petcocks for the freshwater system. They are located at the base of the companion way steps under the floor hatch. Catalina put in some cheap brass petcocks that rust and do not open, change these to nylon or plastic and you will never regret it. It cost me about 15-20 bucks and was well worth it. You are getting a great seaworthy boat that will give you many hours of sailing pleasure. We can't wait for the weather too improve so we can enjoy ours.

Bob C309 #20 "BIG LUV'

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Great Boat

No problem with furling if no battens. Chech autopilot-probably ok with few hour. Mine was reworked at 350 hrs. I agree your batteries may be a problem but cost is not bad.

Feb 14, 2012
Catalina 309 Annapolis
Thanks for the input all. Going to conduct sea trial tomorrow though it is snowing now in Richmond VA. Just returned from Miami boat show where Catalina had the new 315 hull number 2 in the water. Some observations before they are forgotten. Exterior basically the same though they have added additional hull port just forward of galley and in aft cabin. Interior changes were numerous. Much added cabinetry above both settees and in galley. Table is now fixed with port settee now more of a u shape giving seating on three sides of table. Doesnt appear to be an option to use this area as a bunk now. This boat had inner spring mattresses instead of foam and felt very comfortable. Circuit breaker panel is now using circuit breakers instead of automotive type fuses and is concealed behind clear panel. Large cabinet just aft of v berth is now a smaller thinner cabinet with 2 drawers attached to it. Boat looked wonderful as all boats do at boat shows. With the options installed list price was 170,000 something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.