C30 tall rig head stay length - Furlex furler

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Going to replace my Hood 810LD continuous line furler with single line. We need a furler my wife can operate. The 810LD is too difficult to use in any wind over 20 knots.

I am looking at Harken & Furlex. The Furlex comes with a new headstay that is cut to a fixed length. I can measure the head stay as is. But:
1. Will have to check but I believe I have about 4" of rake to the mast. How do I know that's the correct length?
2. How do I ensure the correct balance between the head stay and bob stay (to try to keep the load on the bow sprit reasonably axial (i.e. not pulling the sprit up or down)? Do I check the tension on both head and bob stays and do the math to confirm the vertical components of the stay tensions are equal (or reasonably equal)?
3. Anyone have a Furlex on their 30T, and if so, what model?

Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would think the experts at Harken or Furlex could give you more specific answers to these type of technical questions. But if you have an adjustable backstay, then you should be able to control the tension on the head stay from the cockpit. If you maintain the mast rake at it's current setting... I would measure the new forestay accordingly. But, of course, you can always control that with a turnbuckle or stay adjuster below the furling drum.

May 9, 2012
Catalina 30 mkIII North Star Sail Club
We sail a 1995 Catalina 30 TR on Lake St Clair and the Great Lakes. The original Hood Furler was a dreadful beast to furl the 150 in any blow. We just had the guys at Thomas Hardware quote and replace the Hood with the Harken, and it is fantastic. I am 73 years old, with typical bad body parts, so this was a must do for me. They fabricated a new forestay; pulled the old Hood foil and drum with the mast up; properly measured and secured the sections of the Harken foil; went back up the mast to install the new rig; all in about 3 hours. It wasn't cheap, at around $2800 (installed), but is absolutely worth it. I can roller up that beasty 150 by myself, in a good blow, hand over hand without a winch. It's slick butter.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have a Furlex 200 on my 93 C30 TR. About 10 years old according to my rigger. If I was putting a new one on it would probably be the same model.
The Furlex manual and probably the Harken manual, can be found on the internet. The Furlex manual has very detailed installation instructions that may answer some of your questions.
I'd follow @Joe S suggestion and call the experts for the technical questions.

Actually, I do as much DIY as I can but I don't go up a mast and I'm not learning how to do standing rigging. I like to sail in stronger winds and I won't trust what holds my mast up to a newbies first time try at rigging.

Edit: I just noticed I answered 4 year old questions.