C30 MKIII mainsheet question

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I bought a 2000 C30 MKIII last year. I don't think I had the mainsheet set up correctly last season. I had the mainsheet running from the boom to one of the blocks on the side of the mast, then into the block (fixed / multi) then aft to the winch. This put a lot of stress on the block on the side of the mast. I don't think it's right. If possible, if someone has a MK (the older C30's don't come with the blocks), could they send a photo showing the mainsheet running from the boom aft.
Thanks.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Try catalina30.com fo afactory manual. You will probably need to join to get access but you will probably find lots of good stuff there that you never knew to ask making the cost of joining well worth it.
Les

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Thx Jssailem. The diagrams I have seen are sort of contradicting in that the block at the bottom of the mast seems to be in the same locating as the block for a boom vang or downhaul.
The MKIII has two sets of fixed multi blocks at each side of the mast but IMO should have been located a bit more aft. The line from the block at the base must make a very sharp (almost) backward) angle to go thru them and then run back to the winch.
Also can anyone tell me what are the two single (spring mounted) blocks at each side of the mast for?

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
After doing some more research I believe the two spring loaded blocks probably were added by the previous owner and used with the spinnaker which came with the boat. There are also two fixed multi blocks (only one showing in the photo). They work fine with the in-mast halyards but IMO make a very sharp angle for the mainsheet.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Axel, The blocks you imaged look more for halyards then mainsheet. Can you take a picture of the cockpit, the transom and of the coach roof?