C30 MKIII listing..

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
My 2000 MKIII appears to be slightly listing to the port/rear side. It had a slight list last season but it seems to be a little worse this year.
Two things that may or may not have an effect;
1. I take the mast down every season and have the boat transported to my home. Is it possible that if the mast was slightly out of plumb it would cause a list?
2. I store my dinghy and engine on the stern. The two must weight about 170 lbs together. I could understand them causing a list while they are on the boat but it should go away when they are removed.
Any ideas?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Axel,

One time for a haulout, I later discovered that the lifting strap locations were wrong. I didn't notice the aft strap was on my shaft breaking the (unknown) seal to the hull connection. I found this out when hearing water pouring into my bilge on a next day overnighter. The cutlass bearing was installed down thru a hull cutout & mudded in from the inside. Well, it cracked.

While on stands at the same boatyard, It came to light that the stands were not set correctly longitudinally on
both sides. I didn't realize this, as my boat was on the hard for over a month in the Florida sweltering heat.
When rinsing off the deck, I noticed that the deck near the cockpit was now puddling water. I found
out that the boat's supports caused this, the aft support was set too far back & caused the hull/deck
to deform & sag somewhat. I'm glad I took pictures.

Back to the boat yard, I let them know they screwed the pooch & I had the photos as proof.
Then, back on the stands (1 extra each side) correctly positioned for a month in blistering heat & lo-n-behold, it was back to normal. Fiberglass will deform given the right temperature & incorrect support.

I now have a diagram for correctly setting stands & lifting-strap locations for my C30 Mk II that I give to the yard to make sure they are positioned right & I confirm the locations. If for a different boat, the builder should also have these diagrams for reference.

Since then whenever I haul my baby out, I show them the diagram of where the lifting straps & placement of the stands should go. I no longer have a problem.

Attachments

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Interesting concept Shadow. My boat spends the winter on jack stands. Not sweltering heat though. I have noticed some water puddling anomalies in the cockpit. I bought this boat 2 seasons ago. I was told it was on the hard for at least 2 years prior to the sale. I currently live on Long Island but will be bring the boat to Florida next year around this time where it will spent most of its years in the water except for short hauls. Hopefully if the hull is deformed it will straighten out. I have read about checking the mast plumb using the halyard which I plan to do this coming weekend.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Axel,

My boat for sale also sat on the hard for 2 years. Just enough time so the workers could steal all the goodies down below.
However, there was no sag & it had 4 stands per side. It was several years later having to repair 117 blisters some 3-4
inch along with a bottom job. I failed to mention that I was NOT there for the haulout which I found also bent my shaft.

Nothing against boatyard workers, but if not being trained on proper positioning, sag can & might happen over time.
After reading what happened to me, you will never again look at hauling & stand locations in the same way.
Call Catalina or go online to find the lifting/stand diagram & be there when it is being done.