C30 MKIII built in battery charger question..

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I just bought this boat last season. I have only used the shore power once. This boat has what I believe is a factory installed battery charger. My question is if I am using it to charge the batteries should I set the battery select switch to one and then switch to the other or leave it on both?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Normally you would leave it on both. That way you equalize the charge across both batteries. Same is true when running the engine to charge you generally want it on both. Just remember not to switch it while the motor is running but I am sure you know that.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Axel, the answer is it all depends on how it is wired. Do you have a manual? Shorepower chargers used to be installed by the dealers, don't know when they switched to factory installed, but if it's a Charles charger it could be. Some chargers have multiple outlets, so you can turn the battery switch OFF and still use the shorepower charger. If you're interested in learning more about boat electrical systems, wander through this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Lake. I would add both is okay if they are the same make/age/size. Some people are not comfortable having two batteries bridged together, as one battery going dead can drain and/or ruin the other. My boat is 200 yards away, so it is easy to switch one battery on to solar charge, give it a few days, then when on the boat next time, switch to another. Perhaps when you are satisfied both batts are charged, them have the switch on both. My 2 cents.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Typically, like Stu says, the charger is wired directly to the batteries so it does not matter what position the switch is in when using the charger. Best to trace the charger output to see where it goes.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I personally like using a ACR (Automatic Charging Relay or variant) - works when charging from shore or the alternator, and keeps the banks separate as needed. I don't have an "off" switch on the house bank (unless you count the 250A breaker) - even there I have a separate fuse bank before the breaker for the 24x7 devices like bilge pumps.

John - sorry I missed you last week - hope you stayed warm. The more I dig into my wiring the more I feel like I need to do what you just did and trace everything and remove unused runs. I could probably save 100lbs