C30 1995 Crack in headliner above head door forward of mast

Sep 21, 2017
Catalina 30 Sommer Point, NJ
OK. I’m looking at a 1995 C30 MkIII and I can see a few concerns. First, the boat is on the hard, there is a crack in the fiberglass headliner/door frame just forward of the mast. The way the crack is it prevents the door to the head from closing. I think this is being caused by hogging/sagging of the hull as it is sitting on the hard. The deck at around the mast feels sold. Is this something I should be concerned with before making an offer. The second concern is there are blisters on the wings of the keel. I know the keel is iron, so oxidation/rust on the keel beneath the paint can cause the blisters. Again, concern? How would these issues be currected?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
DANN,

I have a 1980 C30. It was on the hard for 2 years & I discovered that the few standoff supports were not located correctly thus causing stresses, sagging & small cracks under the mast area & the head liner. Cracks where you wouldn't expect them.

To properly hard set a boat correctly for a 30 footer is to have a minimum of four standoffs equally spaced @ the correct heights set properly on each side so not to allow stresses & sag. These need be set upon haulout to avoid these problems.

Fiberglass will sag from temperature & stress if improperly set. I've witnessed this first hand. I would assume this is why you're now seeing these cracks where they shouldn't be, many of which (if small) can be corrected however, you need to be sure this is not evidence of a bigger underlying structural problem caused by bad support.

How long has it been on the hard &..........how many supports on each side do you see?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
DANN,

I have a 1980 C30. It was on the hard for 2 years & I discovered that the few standoff supports were not located correctly thus causing stresses, sagging & small cracks under the mast area & the head liner. Cracks where you wouldn't expect them.

To properly hard set a boat correctly for a 30 footer is to have a minimum of four standoffs equally spaced @ the correct heights set properly on each side so not to allow stresses & sag. These need be set upon haulout to avoid these problems.

Fiberglass will sag from temperature & stress if improperly set. I've witnessed this first hand. I would assume this is why you're now seeing these cracks where they shouldn't be, many of which (if small) can be corrected however, you need to be sure this is not evidence of a bigger underlying structural problem caused by bad support.

How long has it been on the hard &..........how many supports on each side do you see?
:plus:

It does sound like the boatyard is not doing that boat any favors.
The keel blistering is an easy fix. Sand and repaint.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 21, 2017
Will: Thanks for the reply on the keel blisters. I thought they would not be a big issue to fix. As for the time on the hard. I believe the boat has been out of the water since late last summer. Maybe 8 or 9 months. I think It has been moved in the boat yard at least once during that time. It is on a purpose built cradle with 4 standoff supporting the hull and support under the keel. The crack concerns me most, as it currently prevents the door to the head from closing. If the hull is hogged that bad, what will happen when it is in the water? Maybe it would be supported correctly and there would be no problem (the door would swing freely) or maybe it would “work” every time the boat crossed a wave.... anyone else ever see a crack in the headliner at this location? I hope to go down to look at this boat again soon, I’ll take photos.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hey, I love your avitar. I'm an Andy Capp fan.

There are very few problems that can't be dealt with by a capable and industrious boat owner. However, that is not to say there aren't problems that are too much trouble. A lot depends on you. I would be concerned about some of the same issues you just mentioned. Whether the crack is easily repairable, there may be stress to more significant areas of the hull, bulkheads, stringers, that should also be addressed. Regardless of everything else, I would want to reinforce the stringers and hull connection to frames so travel lifts and ways don't continue abusing the shape of the hull.
It seems pretty clear that that is a problem. If you can, take pictures of her on the hard and the areas around the pads. Is there any deflection in the hull?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@danneskjold08094
Welcome to the forum.
I would be very concerned about the crack and the head door not closing. There is information on the Catalina 30 association web site about the support for the compression posts being wood incased in fiberglass. If water gets into the wood, it can rot and the compression post can sink causing the two conditions you mention. There is a fix for it but it sounds like a lot of work.
I think there are also threads on this forum but you would need to go back a few years.
There was discussion and thought that the wood support block was changed to metal but in my research I couldn't find positive proof this was true.
I bought a 93 in Nov and if I saw what your mentioning I think I would pass as there are many boats out there without the issue.
BTW, pretty sure they are lead keels but it is still a simple fix.
I sent you a PM.

Apr 18, 2012
Catalina 400 MKI 67 LaSalle,Mi
Ischeck if the cabin top near the mast is sagging and if the standing rigging is at the proper tension. Check the compression block in the bilge for rot. I've not heard of a 30 this new having that problem. The keel is lead so no worries of rot there. I have a 1992 and have a small crack near the same area. It hasn't change in 7 years, I just keep an eye on it. I put adjustable pads on my craddle to help with putting the boat on the cradle. It was difficult finding the proper size wood to support the boat.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I have a '95. The "blistering" on the keel is just fairing compound. It's a lead keel that was faired at the factory. I had some spots lift on the wings of my keel. I just knocked them off with a scraper and bottom painted over them. I know that technically it creates a disturbed water flow over the keel but I'm not racing and I don't feel any difference at the helm. Eventually I'll re-fair it when bottom painting. As for the crack above the door, open the hatch to the bilge and look at the forward wall. If the support in the bilge is rotted you'll see cracking there. If you don't I'd hire a good surveyor to tell you if the boat isn't blocked correctly or if there's some other problem present.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
somy years before your boat was made catalina upgraded to a 'non-wood' compression post.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
somy years before your boat was made catalina upgraded to a 'non-wood' compression post.
I concur. IIRC, it was towards the end of the mkI era where they quit using a wooden block. Even without the wooden block, the compression post itself may be compromised or the hull below it. All worth checking out. That beam in front of the head is a pretty important structural component. I'd also look at the bulkheads and how they're tied into the hull.

Sep 21, 2017
Ok. So I decided to move vet past this boat and keep looking. But to complete the info I got photos of the head liner crack and the keel. You can see the crack where the mast support passes through the headliner and how the door hits the overhead. Also, a added photos of the keel. Grounding damage on the one wing and blisters on the other.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ok. So I decided to move vet past this boat and keep looking. But to complete the info I got photos of the head liner crack and the keel. You can see the crack where the mast support passes through the headliner and how the door hits the overhead. Also, a added photos of the keel. Grounding damage on the one wing and blisters on the other.
You made the right decision. :thumbup:

Have you posted your criteria on SBO to see if someone has or knows of a suitable alternative?

-Will (Dragonfly)