C270 New Sails

May 29, 2018
Catalina 270 Garden City, UT
Hi All,
Our main and 155 genny are in need of replacement and our Variable winds at Bear Lake are an understatement. Calm seas and light winds are common in late summer and many times were are sailing in circles just to keep the boat moving.
I like a larger genoa that I can reef on the fuler because these light winds can quickly become gusty 20-30 mph gales where a quick reef is handy. These winds often die off and you're headed back to the marina with all the sail you can muster.
We race a little on weekends, but question the need for the high end composite sails for a medium performance boat like the C270
Cost is also part of the equation but not the most important thing. In Utah our purchase would be online as I don't think there are any remaining sail makers around.

Thank you... even direction to a previous thread would be appreciated.

Paul / C270 # 264

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
For C270's a lot of people keep talking about 155's which doesn't really fit the tracks very well (too big unless you have added deck tracks). Why not get a 150 instead? The couple of inches smaller won't make any difference in light air, and will reef a little bit better, and give better adjustment range on the track.

May 29, 2018
Thank you ... we do have the additional tracks and two aft winches, but you're probably right about the 150 vs 155 argument. I do want a genoa that will reef on the furler and look fair... maybe the foam.

One guy suggested a Dacron edge instead of Sunbrella to keep the weight down and improve shape.

I might even set up some quick change (shackles) sheets to use the upper deck tracks when roller reefing from genoa to jib (in size). I have them from my last boat

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If the intent is to reef it, you probably want to give serious consideration to the EZGlide cars. You'll never get a decent sail shape without moving the blocks.
DSC00800.JPG

May 29, 2018
oh we move the blocks all right, but we move them the hard way. We have tried them at every position except the upper deck

Thanks for the picture

Aug 1, 2011
We fly the 135 from the top track. The 155 does not fly well at all from up there, the block, even at the very back is too far forward to control the sail. There are times, wind angles and speeds that we have the block almost all the way back, on the top track, for the 135.
The little bit of track that the EZGlide came on is handy for moving it, and typically we use the 135 in the spring and fall when there’s wind. The 155 and the kite are the weapons of choice the rest of the time.

May 29, 2018
I'm going to roller reef the 155 (doused all the way) unshackle the genoa sheets, snap on the jib sheets (already attached to the block on the upper track) and see how things look. I tried this on my last boat.

we have both upper and lower tracks

Thank you

Aug 1, 2011
Mine is a plastic laminate. Other than originally constructed to withstand a trip to the southern ocean it’s performed very well. My neighbour has a nice new set of black carbon ones and the weather (smoke) has prevented much outside time again this year.