C250 Water Ballast Issues

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 25 Naples, FL
Hello Sailors!
I am a former Catalina 25 owner. Looking at the Catalina 250 WB models. Several owners selling their WB models on Craigslist have indicated that their ballast tanks have leaks. They say that they lack the expertise and financial wherewithal to correct the issue. My questions to Catalina 250 WB owners are:
1. Is this a widespread issue on WB 250s?
2. Is this something that most owners can remedy?
3. The boats in question were earlier models (1995 & 1997). Did the company take corrective action in later model years?
Any information would be appreciated!
Fair Winds

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 25 Naples, FL
After the huge # of replies (thanks C250 owners! lol)...I continued reading the sailing magazine reviews. Went with my gut (and the reviews). As much as I think the water ballast would give me a lot more cruising and gunk-holing options in my area (SWFLA's Ten Thousand Islands)....my lady and I made an offer on a C250WK. I would rather have to keep a chart in my hand and watch the depth finder much of the time, rather than sacrifice sailing performance.

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
Sure wish you would have got some answers. I am intrigued by this model but also have concerns with the leaks. Lots of WB boats out there from many manufactures. Always wondered how you keep the talks solid through the years.

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 25 Naples, FL
Yeah, the owners seem to be asleep or smokin' weed. After reading the reviews of the WB, we bought a 2010 Wing Keel. Sails like a dream. No way I'd get a WB. Not a real sailboat. Good luck to ya!

Jan 26, 2024
Catalina 250 Tampa, FL
I have a 1996 WB. No leaks in the ballast or anywhere else. It actually sails pretty well and the bow doesn't sit as high as the WK version. It points a lot better than you would think. I suppose that's what nearly 6ft of draft with the board down can get you. You lose a little headroom in the WB, but it's not like a regular sized person can stand up in the WK version, anyway. Still, it would be nice to have a few extra inches in the head.

The swing keel is hard to lift. I am honestly considering adding another small winch low in the cockpit to address that problem. And that sub 2ft of draft with the keel up only works if you have a kickup rudder. I have a 4ft deep rudder that does not pull up. So, that limits my minimum draft.