C16.5 Looking for Mast Float Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rbailey11

We are novices to sailing the Cat16.5. We were out and were unable to uncleat the sail and over we went. No problem except the boat turtled in about 15 seconds. It took ALOT of effort and a 150 HP boat to get it flipped back over. Hobie has a really nice mast bob that attaches to the top of the mast and keeps the mast from sinking. I can not find anything like this for the 16.5 except for things that look like a fender bumper that you tie to the mast. Two questions. One, does anyone know of a similar bob attachment that is made for, or can be modified for the 16.5? Second, is there any info on how to fill the mast with expanding spray foam to achieve the same thing? Are there any problems you can see by filling the mast this way? OOPs, I guess that is three questions.

Thanks in advance!!!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
C16.5 float

We just sold our C16.5 (yesterday!) as we upgraded to Catalina Capri 22 and I can't afford 2 boat payments . . . got lots of info for you and a yahoo group you should join . . .

First, there are float panels specifically made for the C16.5. I believe you can get them from catalina for around $80 or $100. You may have to go through your local dealer. They basically attach to the top of the sail somehow. Alternatives include tying an empty gallon jug to the top of the mast, a hobie cat float, or stuffing pool noodles down your mast. We did the latter, though we never actually capsized the boat so I don't know if they work or not. There are posts about all of the above on the Catalina 16.5 Yahoo Group.

Second, you said you couldn't get the sheet uncleated before you went over? Main or jib and what was it cleated to? You should have a quick release cam cleat on the barney post for the main and that sheet should *never* leave your hand. That being said, I took a 20+ mph gust once and we had to let both the main and jib fly. We went right to the point where the boat was going over even though I'd let the main run - finally my crew was able to free the jib but it took several upward yanks to get it out of the cam cleat. I'd like to see that arrangement changed but I'm not sure how I'd do it and still have the ability to move things on the track. BTW, I strongly recommend black magic sailing gloves . . . mine have saved me from severe rope burns on both boats this year.

Let's see - what to do when the boat *does* go over. First, make sure you & your crew agree ahead of time who's going to do what. You should both try to avoid landing in the main sail if at all possible. One of you should try to go over the high side of the boat (if you can) and get on the centerboard asap. If you're really good you can climb over and not even get wet (I'm not that good at all) The other person should head for the end of the mast in a hurry. Their job is to hold it up so it doesn't turtle. Also, don't forget that before you flip the boat up the sheets need to be released so it doesn't go right over the other way or sail off without you.

You might also want to add a ladder or folding step to the transom. We tried the step first, just above the water mark near the rudder. Worked for me, not for my wife. We then added a 2 step ladder - worked for me, jury is out on my wife who got the giggles the one time she tried to use it. I ended up towing her to the beach and she climbed in from the dock.

Oh yeah, if you don't have them, send your main off to Ullman Sails this winter and have them put in reefing points. I did that last year, it cost less than $150, and it was worth every penny. I put in jiffy reefing and it made a world of difference on strong wind/gusty days.

Hope this helps,

Chris
FKTR Catalina Capri #893 - Verboten

RobK

Feb 27, 2009
2 Capri-16.5 Lewes, Delaware
Just bought my 16.5 - My photo is of a gent in Arizona that has a Hobie masthead float. I just ordered the same for just over $100. He said the modification was simple and worked fine for him. You can see from the photo, he may have need for it several times

RobK

Feb 27, 2009
2 Capri-16.5 Lewes, Delaware
It works... well!

Ok, I now have first hand knowledge of the Hobie mast float. But you will have to wait for a "how did it work" report. It's way too cold to capsize just yet! I think we can say it works just fine - why wouldn't it?

The bracket that comes with the float is of high quality stainless. Hard to drill through even with new drill bits. I did have to measure and drill new holes to match the masthead holes. I replaced the pully posts that have cotter pins through them, with stainless bolts and nylon lock nuts. It is on and it's fit is firm (near perfect). I raised the mast, for the first time, with the float and jib (furler) with a wounded right shoulder. I say that because I didn't exspect to be able to do it - It was tough but not so bad to be risking further injury...

This past weekend was perfect for testing the "new to me" C16.5. Winds 6 to 8 on Sat. and 8 to 12 on Sunday. I enjoyed the peace of knowing the no matter what, the mast wasn't going under and I would be able to bring her back up - if I still know what I'm doing (been 20+ since my last righting). She sailed great with out issue.

I do have the Catalina head sail panels (floatation), for sale if anyone is interested.

Take care all and have a great spring -

Rob

Mar 15, 2009
2 Capri-16.5 Prescott, AZ
Hi,
This is Aloha Dave and I am the owner of the boat pictured here. Yup - that's me! I can tell you I have been using the Hobie float for over a year now and have dumped it at least 10 times. As you can see - I definitely go for it! If I stay high in the boat, I don't get wet at all (even the pouch at the front doesn't get wet). I simply climb over the top dry edge, stand on the keel and pull on a line (I rigged a line that ties at the center and comes out over both sides of the boat wrapped around a cleat on each side). As the boat comes over I jump in and don't even get wet! The whole process takes less than 30 seconds and since the Cat is self baling - I am off and running right away. It's actually fun to do. Now I must say something here. Today was a screaming day at Willow Lake here in Prescott - winds 15-20 and gusts up to 30. We had a race which I won (I always win in this great boat), and afterwards myself and 2 friends went out again. They were not so experienced and as we came about, the weight shift inside was not apprapo and the jib was not cut loose in a timely manner and so over we went. 1 person stayed high, I stayed in and was climbing up and the 3rd person was being hoisted up. I believe the weight and the wind was too much pressure and strangely enough - the mast broke and we turtled. We were sitting atop the turtled boat waiting for the wind to take us to a shore when the fire dept boat showed up and towed us to shore where we flipped it and got towed in to the ramp. It was a bit of a tangled mess but it looks like all I need is a new or used mast. Now - I will still use the Hobie float but it might have been better for us to be in the water in this case rather than all of us stay on the boat. Anyway - if you know of a mast - please let me know.

Feb 5, 2010
Cataline Capri 16.5 Burt Lake, MI
Hi Dave --

First, I LOVE that picture. You do hang it on the edge. I also singlehand a great deal and win most of the races I enter. We have some serious Lightning sailors in our fleet (we use Portsmouth) and it drives 'em nuts.
But I pretty much skip the race if the winds more than about 14kts. true and I can't find crew for rail meat. I've only capsized once and, as indicated above, turtled quickly. Masthead stuck in the mud on the lake bottom, took two jets skis and about an hour to get us back on our feet. Fortuneatly -- and surprisingly, perhaps, given your experience -- no damage. The idea of a masthead float makes sense but I hate to give up the Windex. I have telltales on the side shrouds and the luff of the jib and leech of the main of course, but still sometimes I just like that masthead fly. Probably worth the tradeoff tho. Tell me more about the line you've rigged to help you right. If I understand, as the boat capsizes you scamper over onto the c'board, boat cant go any further cause of your weight and the masthead float, you grab the line and lean back and as it comes back you jump back in the cockpit? Where do you rig the line exactly?
Thanks for your help!

Good sailing!

Feb 5, 2010
Cataline Capri 16.5 Burt Lake, MI
Forgot to ask, I dont see you using any hiking strap to get you onboard. Am I just missing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.