C&C34 Mainsheet traveller location change

Oct 26, 2014
C&C 34 Windsor
I would like to move my Mainsheet traveller off the cabin top and into the cockpit just aft of entrance way.
I single hand the boat and would like to have access to sheet control a little closer.
My concern is if the area mentioned is solid enough with a backing plate to hold the traveller.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
C&C 34 mainsheet traveler location change

I have to agree with you that having the traveler so far forward makes it difficult to single hand most boats. You won't have any problems with boom strength because you are going from mid boom sheeting to something further aft which will lessen the loads on the boom. I would guess that your intended location is probably going to be fine as there aren't any long unsupported areas of fiberglass directly aft of the companionway. My C&C 29-2 has the traveler located exactly where you intend to relocate yours. It was designed that way. I suggest that you join the C&C forum and ask some 34 owners. I'm sure you'll get some good information there too. To join:

http://cnc-list.com/mailman/listinfo/cnc-list_cnc-list.com

Oct 26, 2014
C&C 34 Windsor
Thank you for the info.

I had the traveller on a previous boat located on step at companionway and it worked great.
Of course the boat had a tiller.
On the 34 with the wheel makes things a bit more difficult.
Having an Auto helm does help but not in big air.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My old 34 was diabolical to single hand due the traveler location and the wheel inside the T shaped cockpit. Moving traveler would help, and if you are worried about the strength of the brige deck, use a thicker bar designed for use over unsupported spans.

Oct 26, 2014
C&C 34 Windsor
My old 34 was diabolical to single hand due the traveler location and the wheel inside the T shaped cockpit. Moving traveler would help, and if you are worried about the strength of the brige deck, use a thicker bar designed for use over unsupported spans.
Thank you
That is my plan.Also looking under deck to see if there is room for backed board also

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My 2 cents.... if you're going to move it... put it right in front of the wheel pedestal, rather than in the companionway.... Since you'll be sitting on either side and just behind the wheel that would make it very easy to tend the sheet and the traveler from the helm. With a tiller, you would be sitting more forward (on my boat anyway) than you would with a wheel and pedestal. In which case, running it across the bridge deck would be quite convenient. The nature of wheel steering is that the helmsman often locates themselves farther back....

You might take a look at improving the primary winch location also.... if you can't tend or adjust the jib sheets from the helm you'd want to move them closer...

This might seem obvious, but I would consider mocking up a track and try it in various locations before you start drilling holes.

In any event, I think you're making an excellent adaptation for singlehanding. Too many people are unwilling to move things around. In your case, the mid boom, cabin top set up made the cockpit look larger..... and give you plenty of room for crew to work the boat....but entirely unsuitable for a restricted crew or single handing.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
C&C 34 mainsheet traveler location change

Joe made a very good point. Having the traveler and primary winches located aft, just in front of the steering pedestal, in my opinion is the best spot for single handed sailing. Take a look at some of the cruising J Boats such as the 34C, 37C and 40C. They are all set up that way and have received some excellent reviews for their cockpit layouts. Cockpit hatches may prevent you from doing this.

Oct 26, 2014
C&C 34 Windsor
Joe made a very good point. Having the traveler and primary winches located aft, just in front of the steering pedestal, in my opinion is the best spot for single handed sailing. Take a look at some of the cruising J Boats such as the 34C, 37C and 40C. They are all set up that way and have received some excellent reviews for their cockpit layouts. Cockpit hatches may prevent you from doing this.
Joe

Cockpit hatches prevent me from locating near wheel.
Step up area at entrance way appears to be best solution.Area underneath allows me to install a interior support beam and exterior track will be either Lewmar or Harkin.
Old track is original and is due for replacement anyway as it very hard to adjust underload.
Boat is now out of the water for winter and this will be a good project to keep me thinking sailing.
I'm into my 70"s and have plenty of time to putz.

Bob

Oct 26, 2014
C&C 34 Windsor
Joe

Cockpit hatches prevent me from locating near wheel.
Step up area at entrance way appears to be best solution.Area underneath allows me to install a interior support beam and exterior track will be either Lewmar or Harkin.
Old track is original and is due for replacement anyway as it very hard to adjust underload.
Boat is now out of the water for winter and this will be a good project to keep me thinking sailing.
I'm into my 70"s and have plenty of time to putz.

Bob
Track has been moved , backer plate installed, heavier track and ball bearing car,new attachment for main sheet on boom. 6 to 1 Harkin main sheet and continuous traveller adjustment line.
Boat is ready to launch as soon as ice goes away, hopefully by end of next week.

Jun 8, 2016
C&C 34 Plus (1990) Annapolis
From the photo on Ted's profile, I assume this thread is referencing the traveler location of C&C 34+ circa 1990. If so, this is the boat I own. The traveler was moved off of the cabin top where it was inaccessible and too far forward for my taste. It was quite difficult to manage such a large sail without adequate purchase. We placed the traveler just in front of the pedestal. There is plenty of clearance to open the port lazerate and with the bale on the boom slightly forward, the mainsheet does not interfere with the cupholder on the pedestal whatsoever. It is an ideal location. With the primary winches and mainsheet within easy reach of the helm, this modification makes the C&C 34+ an excellent option for single handing or sailing with a young family (my wife is freed to handle the kids and doesn't need to assist the skipper).