C&C 33-2 - known issues?

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
I'm looking at a mid-80s C&C 33-2. Overall, boat looks great, but would love to know if there are known issues with these boats that I should pay attention to. I know about the potential for wet core, and will be getting a full survey if I go forward, I'm more wondering about items peculiar to this model

I'd be especially interested, for example, in knowing if there are patterns of things that need attention: things like sealing or rebedding hatches, replacing leaky windows, wobbly stanchion bases, hard-to-get-to thru-hulls, etc.

Things that caught my attention in the first inspection:

-- I noticed that there isn't great access to the engine - removing the stairs/forward cover provides access to the front, but it looks like it would be tough to get to the sides if needed. It looks like the only way to get to the shaft coupling and packing gland, for example, is through the cockpit lazarette. Has this proven to be an issue, or is it okay?

-- it looks like there has been repair to [at least] the gelcoat at the forward end of the fixed plexi windows, both port and starboard. I've read several threads about having to replace leaking windows, is this a common problem? And would it have required gelcoat repair, or is it possible there was some other kind of issue?

-- there are some stress cracks in the gelcoat at either end of the teak trim at the top of the transom. Is this normal (eg, just an artifact of a "hard corner" in the mold), or does it indicate something potentially more serious?

-- the top of the door to the forward v-berth looks like it has been shaved. In other boats, that can be a sign that the interior structure has "racked". but all the other doors and drawers seem to be fine. Might be nothing, or... not. Anyone ever heard of structural issues in these boats? Is there access to inspect the tabbing where the bulkheads are joined to the hull?

-- the various sections of the cabin sole are screwed down. Is this normal, or an owner-add? I'm generally a big fan of being able to easily check the bilge (and inspect the keelbolts) without tools, unless there's a good reason to secure those sections.

Thx,
bgary

Jun 5, 2014
C&C MK2 FAIRHAVEN
Haven't looked in here in awhile, saw your post while getting some info for spring work. You discribed our mk2 to a tee!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've known a couple of C&C's that had leaks at what appeared to the hull-deck joint.

Sep 14, 2017
c&c 33 MK II Shelburne, VT
I've known a couple of C&C's that had leaks at what appeared to the hull-deck joint.
We bounced off a rock in high waves a year ago and thought we had things fixed over the winter, but as we got sailing in high winds again this year, without hitting anything, the keel trunk and keel apparently loosened up and we started taking in water near the joint between the keel trunk and hull primarily. A pretty good crack opened up at the leading edge of the joint connecting the top of the keel and the hull. We've hauled her and are trying to make sure we diagnose things right and fix it right this year. It sounds like others may have had similar issues. Curious to know what you've done.