C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
After some bronze wool softening and smoothing I was unhappy with the lack of shine.... So, a couple of hours later after buffing out and polishing, I mounted everything and bucked it up the ladder to see how it looked in the head....

Now to pop those bulkheads out and get them covered in Formica....

The hinges on the door over the toilet need to be swapped for nickel, but it is hanging in the meantime. A hinge will not prevent floating.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Waste Thru Hull Gone!

While I don't have pictures for the first part of this poast, I did remove the stock 3/4" head raw-water-pickup thru hull, and replaced it with a new marelon thru-hull and flanged seacock. This will be the new sink's drain. I bedded in a flange, (3/4 birch ply, soaked in C.P.E.S. for a week) with epoxy, chopped strand and collloidal silica to provide a good backer for the seacock and flange.

I had left-over bedding compound, and had alread ground the gel off around the inside of the old waste water thru hull hole, so I quickly grabbed some woven glass and used the bedding compound and the woven 'glas to apply 5 alternating layers over the old hole.

Here is where the pictures come in.

Saturday, I ground through barrier and gel on the outside of the old waste thru-hull hole bevelling out to a rough diameter of about 6 inches. Similar to the inside patch, I mixed up another batch of chopped strand, colloidal silica, and epoxy. I wanted a wetter mixture compared to the inside to better wet out the 'glas but not so wet as to run, since I was working upside-down.

With my epoxy consistency right, I applied more of the woven 'glas. First was a big patch totally covering the entire ground out area. Then I started laying in smaller patches. My rationale is that the big patch was a continuous piece, pulling all the repair area together under a single hunk of fiberglas. the smaller patches added strength but were more for fill. I alternated patched with more large rounds, but they got smaller as the hole filled. A light shining from the inside while working is a real good way to make totally sure you have no bubbles or voids in your layup.

Sunday I ground the new 'glas fair and then slightly undercut it, sanding slightly into the old gel and the old 'glas. I de-waxed and then mixed a layer of gel to lay in. The first coat of gel had a few bubbles, (evident in the pic of the plastic wrap covered gel) in it, so I faired the gel patch last night and skimmed a second coat of gel in. We will see how it looks tonight. I will lay on a barrier coat patch, and then the whole boat will get a fresh coat of ablative prior to launch.

Here are the pics. Sorry, they are not Maine Sail's level of thoroughness, but they give you an idea. One less hole in the boat. No y-valve, no hassle, no worries.... One less chance to sink.... :D

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Popped the head bulkheads out last night. I am going to cover them in Formica and pop them back in. Based on the looseness of the chainplate tang, I highly recommend checking your sealing and bedding at the deck...

Attachments

gdanza

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 22 Visalia, Ca
I must admit, Stu is right on that point. I have been sick as a, well, a sick person, since I logged off last time, but am now among the ready to sail again group. I would say white Formica in the head is good, and contrast is a good thing, and will make the bright work pop! BTW- it is okay to do something other than work on your boat for a day, as long as you are working on the shop where you work on your boat.... Merry Christmas! (no offense!)

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
A flurry of activity the last few days, in and around Christmas shopping... I managed to get the Formica installed on the bulkheads that define the head. That was a real quick and easy job. I got some white vinyl and just wrapped it over the existing brownish edge welting, (which appears to jsut be rubber vacuum hose with vinyl stitched around it). See the pics of the closer to finished head.

I also did some veneer laminating work on the cabinet that goes over the galley area. the primary function for this cabinet is to hide the backs if the depth meter and knot meter. It probably will get a bottle of rum, or even a bottle of port. Port is good to have during bad weather. As they say, in a nasty blow, any port is welcome... ;)

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
AV work has started

Yesterday was mild, but I knew today would be brutally cold. I am waiting on two parts to finish my shop heater installation, ( a new spring for the gas valve and a different orifice), so in preparation for today, I started the AV installation by fabbing up an antenna mount and got the antenna mounted. This is the Shakespeare 2025 14" omni antenna.

The coax cable supplied with the antenna was WAY too short, so I went to the home supply store and bought 100' of indoor outdoor signal cable.

My history with weather expopsed deck connections has been poor, so the mast light(s) wiring and the antenna cable will pass through the cabin top without plugs, to be terminated inside the boat. I have had awesome luck with the Blue Sea Systems CableClam compression-type deck fittings, so two of those will be used, one for the TV and one for the lighting wiring. I am not going to pass the wire through the mast base, where I can't get to it. I want the CableClam's outboard of the mast so I can get to the wiring for maintenance.

Today I am going to plug in a heater for the boat interior and work on installing and wiring the TV and audio system. Hppefully it will be toasty in there... At least inside the shop, I don't have wind to fight.

Here is a pic of the antenna mounted at the top of the mast. It is higher than the anchor light, so as not to obstruct visibility. The antenna is forward of the Windex. At the moment it is on the same plane, but I will be lowering the Windex to get it in clean air so it can function properly.

Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Status update.

The TV is nice, Skyworth SLC-1971-A3

The antenna's amplifier is an amazing surprise. I bought the Shakespeare 2025 amplified antenna. The actual antenna is on the mast away from the boat, but with a hunk of wire on the amp input, I a getting 4 stations, and I am inside a metal building. My shop is so far out in BFE, I cannot even get DSL, so know it is amazing to get TV channels. Can't wait to see what it will do with the stick upright on the boat.

Got the stereo mounted, wires between the TV, and some temp speakers set. DVD looks awesome. and with two speakers on head power, it is plenty loud. I can't wait to get a sub in there...

A few pics:

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Gut check:

· Finish stripping companionway door boards and varnish them. The wood handle on the companionway hatch could also use a touch up.
· Wire masthead light and attach to top of mast
· Install 4 prong plug on mast wiring at mast base
·Run mast light wiring from breaker box through cabin and up through coach roof/mast step
· Install/rebed mast step
· Install new seacock on water intake for engine and attach water intake line from engine to seacock
· Replace frayed wire that runs from starter to ignition switch
· Repair/replace lifeline that was stripped when putting pelican hook on- I will take care of this
· Put caps on pipes left over from marine head plumbing
· Replace water tank and replumb
· Drill new tiller and replace on rudder post

Outside of these items, I intend to do the following:
· Re-wire the boat's primary charging and distribution circuits
· install a 19" flat screen TV/DVD combo with surround sound, ( I work in AV, so it is kind of a tradition for me)
· Install the omnidirectional digital TV antenna at the mast head
· Replace old cabin lighting with an updated Halogen lighting system
· Install ice-powered AC unit for summer use
· Add rope clutches and redo running rigging for an all-line-led -aft control scenario
· Replace incandescent running lighting with LED, (in an attempt to make up for the halo lighting down below

The red items are items I have completed. We have come a long way, and done a few things outside of the task list. Winter-time brings non-varnishing time so I have been focusing on electrical stuff the last few weeks.

I have ordered new running rigging so I can go with all lines, led aft. I need to order ball-bearing masthead sheaves and one more deck organizer. I have my clutches and while they don't match at the moment, (Spinlock triples x2; one is XAS, the other XTS) I can get going with setting things up. I have a couple of 2-speed #20 winches to pull off the parts boat for the cabin top. the winches will be aft of the clutches so they can be used for multiple lines.

The boat is coming along and with a couple of weeks of promising work, I went from: "This is never going to end" to "This is getting a lot closer to being done."

I have set aside a few tasks to be done post launch; there is no need to totally break the bank, AND miss a sailing season due to a lack of a few things... Minor things... I have to keep telling myself minor things... :D

It is going to be bitter cold this week here in Oklahoma, and I think I have parts now to get my shop heater put together and running so tomorrow night I am being heat and air guy. Hopefully I will light the heater tomorrow night! With any luck I will be working in t-shirt sleeves the rest of the week.

Watch for more pics soon.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Dinette Mods

If ever a meal is served on the boat, is is just the wife and myself. Otherwise we are at the dock socializing wth friends or family. On our C22, we took the dinette table completely out and were amazed at the conversation pit that appeared. We really like it better on the C22 without the table. So on the C27, with the larger area, we thought a compromise might work out. A previous owner had built a replacement tabletop out of plywood. It is not the most attractive thing, but it works. It is big though, and we know we really will never seat a party of four for dinner so I cut it in half. The result is a more open layout in line with a traditional interor, with the benefit of a little table space for eating or playing cards or writing or working on stuff. When not in service as a table we can drop it to cushion height. I am going to try to figure out how to find some more of that material, or use material from seat backs to create a cusion that exactly fits the table top. this will give us a U-shaped seating area, a pit group if you will...

At the same time, getting into the starboard quarter-berth was a feat better served to a little person or a contortionist. The aft dinette seat back was simply too big; i.e the opening to the quarter berth was too small. I decided to cut the back rest in half, removing a tiny bit of back support for folks lounging at the dinette / pit group.

Finally, as I edge closer to getting back to work on the galley mod, I have been taking time to sit and rest and study things while sitting in the boat. Notice the two back cushions in the last pic. With a cusion against the new lowered galley, and a cushion along the hull liner, one gets a nice chaise lounge feel, and it is a perfect locatin to stay near the ice chest while watching a movie, (did that one evening just for fun). I have decided on a large bank of batteries and we only weekend sail, so against Stu's recommendations, I am going to go ahead and install a sump vessel for the ice chest and sink drain, and install a small builge pump to pump the galley water over a vented loop and out the thru-hull drain. No wet sandwiches and no fountains from the sink at extreme heel....

See the pics for the modifications.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Yesterday, (Saturday) saw a ton of different projects in progress. First off, I went to the hardware store and bought fixtures for the head. I picked up a paper roll holder, a hand towel ring, and a robe/towel hook. I did not know where to put them so now the admiral has officially stepped in and helped with some work. She told me where to put it!, (the parts, that is! :) )

I had shown the short dinette table in pics the other day, but did not show my intentions for the seating area. Below you will find some pics of the dinette as a u-shaped seating area. My plan is to take one of our current cusiohns and shrink it to properly fill the gap between seats across the table top. Then we will eventually get new foam and find more of the same material or a complementary material to make seat backs from, so that there is a homogenous feel to the upholstery.

I pulled the two winches from the parts boat yesterday, (Barlow 2-speed 18's) disassembled them and got them into the solvent tank. A 2 - 3 hour soak and there were still stubborn parts... This boat had sat abandoned under a Pecan tree, and there was tons of goop and corrosion in the winches. Eventually everything came apart, and I was able to smooth out the rough edges and get them put back together. One of the cog springs was broken, (1 of 8) so all in all not too bad. They now spin properly and smoothly in both speeds, so the purchase price of the parts boat has already paid off.

While I had the winches apart, I made a marking template to provide locations for the thru-holes in the cabin top to mount the winches. I drilled holes in the template just big enough to mark the bolt locations. Having marked the hole locations, I drilled over-size holes in the cabin top and dug out the core adjacent to the holes. They were then filled with thickended West epoxy and left to cure. A note: Even with the slow cure hardener, the addition of fillers, (in this case, colloidal silica) will speed up the "kick" time, so plan your work appropriately to prevent working with hardening epoxy.

While I had the epoxy mixed up, I took the time to bed in a piece of mahogany backing board for the tiller pilot buushing. A PO had installed a 3/8ths bushing in the cockpit seat, but put it in the wrong place. The old busing location placed the tiller straight in-line with the keel when fully retracted; it would steer to starboard, but could not steer to port. The new bushing plants the tiller parallel with the keel with the ram half-extended, per the manufacturer's recommendations.

I have a new set of sole mats being made. The old mats were suitable for patterns, but needed marked. The new mats will have a striped pattern that mimic teak and holly sole, so I had to mark the "grain" and adjacent edges for the guys doing the cutting and the binding. Notice the notes, "grain" stripes and adjacent edge markings in the old mats.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I wired in the new knot meter and depth finder. The guy I bought the boat from had installed them but had not wired them. The depth finder is on its own power circuit, and the illumination for both is provided by the running lights circuit. Check ot the pics and enjoy!

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Tonight I drilled the finished-sized holes for the cabin top winches. I used a sander to quickly knock down and dress the high spots, and then I counter-sunk per Maine Sail's guidance. I am using butyl tape to bed everything, (purchased from him, I highly recommend it).

Knocking the deck down for under the winches took so little time that I went ahead and marked for the starboard side Spinlock XTS triple clutch I am installing for halyards and other control lines led aft. For the clutches, I am made a Formica pattern as I did for the winches. I then drilled, dug, taped and filled...

Tomorrow the stainless fasteners will be procured to install the winches permanently. The mat patterns are hitting the UPS truck, the winch holes will be drilled, cleaned and counter sunk...

I still need to purchase another triple XTS 8/14, and I need to get deck organizers going....

So much to do, but making progress....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
A few pics of running rigging progress. Both cabin top winches are now installed. The starboard triple rope clutch is installed. The cabin top is a tight fit for the lines-led-aft rigging, but using the Garhaur 4-sheave stacked deck organizer is going to work with the stock cabin top; no risers or special built parts needed. The quad deck organizers are on the way and wil be here Friday.

I will probably find time to drill, fill and re-drill for deck organizers prior to arrival, as I have a single pair organizer here already that can be used as a template.

I fought and fought my brain on the clutch locations port and starboard; trying to make sure I could mount them symmetrically. When I thought about it though, clutch symmetry across the cabin top does not work since the winches take up line the same clockwise manner. The proper orientation, (in this case for a triple clutch) is for the line to exit the organizer forward, and pass through the center clutch, (of the triple) on the way to the feed side of the winch in as straight a line as possible. Since the winches regardless of side take up line in a clockwise manner, the port cabin top clutch will be aligned different from starboard, as the port winch takes up line inboard as the starboard winch takes up line outboard...

So much for the mental exercise, here are today's pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So, curiosity got the better of me, and I busted out the new Hyde mainsail to check it, "to make sure I really got what I ordered" from them. Hah, really a sorry excuse to do some non-work and admire something big and new. :) Sure looks good.

I had been debating the filler / backsplash for the wet bar counter for a long time. I finally fitted a piece of plywood combined with a vinyl-wrapped Formica trimmer to the open space. I used a heat gun to bend the Formica to fit the curved radius of the board. The colors of white are off, (aren't they always) but the basic elements are coming together. I need to finalize hard attachment points to bolt the whole assembly together and in place and then remove it all one last time for final finishing. Varnish varnish varnish.... I think I might paint the fiberglass liner on the port side to even out the colors....

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I received my new fresh water tank on Friday, and found a little time yesterday to start work on installing it. I am using Ronco's B228 tank to mount in the port settee. I needed to remove a lot of the fiberglass here... Dusty for sure.

I trimmed a rectangular section out going as far forward as I could, leving a 1.5" lip forward as it got to the port bulkhead. Removal of this material made the remaining glass seat deck out next to the hull rather floppy. I have shaped a plywood support that will dress and smooth out the port side of the new tank opening while stiffening up and supporting the seat base. The plywood will be glassed over and tabbed in to become a structural member joining the hull and the liner.

After getting the vertical support in place for the seat back, I will be shaping three or four cradles for the tank so it is well and evenly supported. These cradles will be made from plywood, with a flange to spread the load at the tank surface. These will be tabbed to the hull and to the front seat edge, as well as to the new seat back support. The goal is to have a clean locker for the tank to set down in with little or no chafing or wiggling around, yet relatively easy removal if the need arises, to address issues in or near the port settee... One can quickly imagine the need to service the port bulkhead mounting points, and this will be easier with a tank which can be removed. I will fabricate a new lid for the area that will support the upholstery, yet will still allow access to the pressure pump, the batt switch, the galley seacock, etc.

Here is a quick pic of the roughed out hole. It is crude, but I intend to grind, smooth, fair(?) and paint this area prior to installing the tank.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Tank test fit last night. I have the supports glassed in and ready for smoothing and painting. I need to grind and fill the cut edges of the enlarged hole so that they will be smooth when I whip out the paint. I guess painting would not really be necessary, but it is a nice touch. From here, I need to mount the pump and wire it, finish the hose runs and connect it all up. Then come a predictable permanent thaw, we will fire it up and do a pressure test!

I also got my final cabin top rope clutch installed last night. I now have two triple Spinlock clutches for all lines led aft. The water pump has been removed, gone over and a new impeller installed. This boaat is gonna be a joy to sail if it ever hits the water...

It is coming along...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
More plumbing work, and plumbing cabinet work. The new lid for the port settee is in place. I have it held with three small stainless hinges at the moment, but I will likely go with a piano hinge; it just seems a better choice. I also have the tank-top "straps" and their brackets milled and installed. The straps will hold the tank firmly in place, and also tie the settee front face back to the hull liner/ seat back.

I have the flush - mount tank vent installed. I don't like how low it is on the hull, but realize if I have the rail that far over such that the vent is below the water, the admiral wiill be less than pleased.... I was about to go with an internal vent, but then realized I would have no indication of the tank fullness.

At this point it is time for the foam padding to fiurmly hold the tank in place. Then the lid can be installed wit the piano hinge. Hopefully in the next few days I will get the fill line, the vent line and the supply line installed. The pump is sittint waiting patiently...

A few pics

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Updates!

I had a care package show up Friday. A friend who used to work for a marine propulsion company moved to a marine textiles company. I took the opportunity to get him a little practice... New custom cut and edge-bound floor mats! The material mimics a teak and holly sole, but is snap in. Rubber backing adds a nice touch. The mats were digitized from the old excuse for carpets, and then the old ones were pitched!

I akso had the opportunity to instal a fresh bilge pump in the keel sump. I pulled a ton of patched together wiring in the process. In one 12" piece I found 3 butt connector splices, and a wire junction made from lamp cord twised and taped. Not a fuse to be found....
All that questionable wiring has been removed. I have installed a fuse panel so that each load circuit is on its own fuse, and this includes the bilge pumps. It is amazing that the old pumps even worked! As a result of the bilge pump re-wire, the only wiring left attached to the batteries is the dual bank charger wiring, the power and ground to the fused distribution panels, and the big wiring to the motor and to the battery switch. Gone is the octupus mess at the battery terminals!

There was a nasty hole just aft of the dinette, I assume where the old electrical panel was. I was searching for an out of the way place where the bilge pumps' switches could be mounted and that looked like the most likely place. They are easy to get to, yet out of the common traffic areas.

I did not get pics, but today I pulled the companion way hatch pull and the trim panel behind it. I also pulled the hatch side slide guides. All of these wood parts were stripped, sanded, filler stained and sealed with a quick coat of varnish. A few more coats and some intermediate sanding and these will be ready to go back on.

May is coming quickly, but I feel like it is coming together. Hopefully the spring rains will bring the 4' of water needed to lauch the boat!

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
Phil,

You are doing a great job with the overhaul. I have one quick question for you. We are installing a Simrad TP 10 for the comming summer. My question is how critical is the mounting of the bushing for the pilot pin on the side of the boat? By that I mean does it matter if it is not perpendicular and vertical to the pin on the body of the pilot. There are alot of angles on the side of the boat, and this could be a real challenge. How are you going to drill yours? I hope I have made my question clear. Thanks Phil

Dale

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil,

You are doing a great job with the overhaul. I have one quick question for you. We are installing a Simrad TP 10 for the comming summer. My question is how critical is the mounting of the bushing for the pilot pin on the side of the boat? By that I mean does it matter if it is not perpendicular and vertical to the pin on the body of the pilot. There are alot of angles on the side of the boat, and this could be a real challenge. How are you going to drill yours? I hope I have made my question clear. Thanks Phil

Dale
The owner's manual that came with the boat for the tiller pilot tells us that we want the tiller pilot to be as horizontal as possible during operation. I scratched my head for quite a while trying to figure out how to raise the bushing to the height of the tiller handle and finally gave up. The PO had installed a bushing in the seat, level with the seat, yet at the wrong place, (the busihng put the tiller amidships with the ram fully extended, so she could only tack to port not to starboard). I just installed a new busing such that the tiller was amidships with the ram half extended, yet I put the busing at the same seat height. I have not had a chance to sail the boat yet with the tiller pilot, so I am not sure how the angle will affect things with the long tiller handle.

I can tell you that I do sail with friends a lot and the idea of having a long tiller taking up all the cockpit annoyed me, so I took advantage of a scrap of old tiller to make a shorty tiller handle, and I found a different bronze bracket from a parts boat such that the tiller was made to mount where IT is level with the tiller pilot bushing, at the same height. I can quickly switch between tillers, so it will be real convenient.

I have seen another option on some site, where someone had gone and added a very short wooden arm that mounted below the tiller handle, yet attached to the same thru-bolt that the tiller attaches the tiller to the rudderstock head. I think they bent some heavy stailess sheet stock in such a manner that it formed a U-shaped bracket that fit under and aroud the stock tiller handle. This device has the tiller pilot mounted such that it is horizontal, and drives the short flat wooden arm, even with the long tiller handle attached to the rudder. The long tiller handle moves with it, yet is unattached to the tiller pilot, so it can be pivited up and out of the way.

I went and looked and cannot find the pic, so I drew the attached image qucikly. The attached drawign to me seems ideal, as the tiller pilot connects to its dedicated arm, rather than to the tiller you use. YOu can use the long tiller, yet swing it out of the way and the TP can still do its work.

Attachments