C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
It's pretty bad when the CO detector your wife got you as a Chmristmas gift is expired prior to launch...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Got the ole Popeye arms going again over the weekend. resumed sanding and polishing of topsides...

I am ready for this to be done... Finishing the topsides is going to be relatively easy. The deck and cabin is going to be the real pain...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Compare a stock image of the compass with a picture I took...

The center yellow indicator piece is missing! Well actually it is not where it is supposed to be...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Somehow the piece of plastic came loose and it is just floating around free inside the globe.

I have been in touch with Plastimo in France; very helpful folks... They are working with the US distributor to send out a replacement. I was concerned as I bought the compass in 2012 but had up til now not bothered with getting it mounted. My fear was that they would tell me "too bad, its been too long since your purchase." but that is not the message I am getting!

Hopefully we will get the compass install buttoned up soon!

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So the new compass has an interesting feature: it's dual-view. For most bulkheads the back of the unit pokes through slightly into the cabin so they came up with a way to note your heading from down below. I have to admit it's sort of cool.

Problem is, the stock interior trim bezel is not the most attractive thing in the world. While waiting on some epoxy to kick in a cabin-top thru hole, (for mast electrics) I whipped out this teak piece.

It fits wonderfully and just looks so much better than stock.

A couple more coats of varnish and it will be ready to install.

Two pics. One the stock trim, the other is its teak replacement.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Compass Update:
The nice folks at Catalina Direct and Plastimo, (reseller and manufacturer) have bent over backwards to help me get my issue resolved. A new compass is on its way to me. Love it!

The work on the interior teak "donut" has progressed. I had to do a little fiberglass grinding behind the donut to get it to lay flat against the interior bulkhead. The ring now sets firmly against the bulkhead. I have some black nylon acorn nuts ordered and I will eventually trim the nylon mounting screws down to a proper length to allow the acorn nuts to snug everything up. This will provide the desired look on the inside. I need to terminate my power harness to the compass light, and then connect it to the nav light circuit. After the replacement compass arrives I can button everything up and call this portion of the project done. Here are a couple of images of the progress on the compass:
IMG_7115.JPG
IMG_7117.JPG

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Wow, sorry for the crummy pics. I did not know how bad those were.... I Will shoot some new ones with better light to even out the contrast....

Nov 20, 2015
Wilderness Stystems Tarpon 120 Kayak White Oak Creek
Hi Phil, thanks for posting, it has been a lot of fun to watch you fix-up your Catalina 27. I was hoping to get a Catalina 27 project in the future and go cruising around the world. I need to build a trailer first, so I can pick up one of the deals I keep seeing. I can't find much info on building a sailboat trailer less some online pictures and some cradle specs from Catalina. I was hoping you could measure what main size C-channel they used on your trailer and where the boat is centered over the axles and if the tongue weight seemed about right when you were hauling it. I should be able to figure out the rest, and there is no rush, I am just kind of planning and gathering info right now. The easy part. :) Williams, Mt. Pleasant, TX

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Hi Phil, thanks for posting, it has been a lot of fun to watch you fix-up your Catalina 27. I was hoping to get a Catalina 27 project in the future and go cruising around the world. I need to build a trailer first, so I can pick up one of the deals I keep seeing. I can't find much info on building a sailboat trailer less some online pictures and some cradle specs from Catalina. I was hoping you could measure what main size C-channel they used on your trailer and where the boat is centered over the axles and if the tongue weight seemed about right when you were hauling it. I should be able to figure out the rest, and there is no rush, I am just kind of planning and gathering info right now. The easy part. :) Williams, Mt. Pleasant, TX
Hi Williams-

I wish I could tell you about my trailer with any good input, but I am afraid I am not going to be much help. the trailer is a one-off jobbie; a gooseneck design that looks like it might be an old travel trailer. It is triple-axle, heavily modified, with mobile home axles and wheels... In fact, a buddy of mine is a mobile home transporter and he hauled it for me, so I can't even tell you how well it towed.

Photo006.jpg

If I had to guess I would say the beams are around 10" high; you can sort of get a sense of scale from the picture.

Nov 20, 2015
Wilderness Stystems Tarpon 120 Kayak White Oak Creek
OK, thanks for the info, it definantly looks heavy duty enough for the job. I have seen all kinds of utility trailers on the internet converted to a sailboat trailer. I guess most people get resourceful when the new ones are going for around $4,500. I am in the wrong buisness. :)

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Okay, got some light on the subject. Here is the interior side of the compass mounted and dressed out. Maybe almost dressed out.

The black nylon M5 acorn nuts arrived, so I test - fitted them prior to final install. I think I need to have a washer under the acorn nut to get the look right. I'll do that when the replacement unit gets here.
IMG_7188.JPG

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
While waiting on the marine 12/3 cable, (it's on a brown truck somewhere in Texas) to install a new shore power system I have been working on the master/distribution breaker panel.
image.jpg

The location will be on the end of the aft dinette settee. I have cut the hole and applied the finish to an old door and frame. The Blue Sea Systems 8027 panel will install onto the recessed stained and varnished plywood assembly above. Then a Blue Sea Systems 4027 isolation enclosure will cover the back of the electrical panel.

Here, the door frame is sitting on the recess plywood assembly in the pic but in the assembly the fiberglass of the settee base will be sandwiched between these two.
image.jpg

The door will close over this to hide the technology. There will be three 15A circuits. One will be the new ProNautic 1230P charger. Another will be for the air-conditioning circuit. I will install a single duplex convenience outlet with GFCI on the third.

Having fun working on the boat again...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Recess pocket, door and frame installed. The panel is just sitting there for now. I'll do some wiring tomorrow.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm really not a fan of the number of screws in the frame but the holes were already there. Plugging them just seemed a lot of work.