C-27 Refit/Refurb

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Al right Phil your straying from the Catalina 27 rebuild topic a lil' bit aren't you? LOL.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Yeah, sorry. My 5-month project is going to end up a 5-plus-year project. I still do not have enough water to float at my dock. Not the sailboat anyway... The C25 next door is back stuck sitting on the bottom...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I'm still here. Waiting for water. I never considered I would be doing age-related maintenance with the boat still in the shop.

House batteries are shot. CO detector received as Christmas gift is expired Who knows about the fuel in the gas tank...

I have been patient and life has gotten in the way. Did I tell you guys I have two kids now?

Drought sucks. I feel for Lake Meredith, Lake Travis, all those guys in California... We need rain. Rainfall measuring in feet....

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 30 Ventura
How's the lake looking these days Phil? Oklahoma seems to have taken a huge bite out of their drought lately.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
We have not gotten the rain southern Oklahoma has gotten but we're getting rain. 2.5" yesterday. 20" lake level rise in under 24 hours. We're only 18" below spillway at this typing and it's raining. Here's a pic of the dock just now

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The drought is the least of your worries in Oklahoma. If the earthquakes from fracking don't get you the Benzene, toluene and methane in your water will.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
The drought is the least of your worries in Oklahoma. If there earthquakes from Tracking don't get you the Benzene, toluene and methane in your water will.
We are In a unique time in our lives. This week, simultaneously we have had sever thunderstorm warnings,flash flood warnings, tornado warnings, and earthquakes. Add rattlesnakes and stir.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
It's a little unfair to add the rattlesnake pic as that was 6 years ago but yes my wife took that pic from our boat. Luckily that day our powerboat. I'd hate to meet him becalmed with no way to avoid...

Jun 7, 2014
Cataina 27 Lake Charles, LA
I really appreciate the fact that you are detailing everything you have done so well in this thread. I literally was getting ready to put a for sale sign on my boat to upgrade to something bigger.

But after seeing everything you have done and what is possible w/ the C-27 I'm going to hang on to ADRIFT now.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I really appreciate the fact that you are detailing everything you have done so well in this thread. I literally was getting ready to put a for sale sign on my boat to upgrade to something bigger.

But after seeing everything you have done and what is possible w/ the C-27 I'm going to hang on to ADRIFT now.
It is a good spacious boat and for my family's needs, it should serve us well as a daysailer and weekend over-nighter. I catch myself lots of times thinking "Darn it, there is still so much to do, I should just go buy a turn-key boat."

Only to realize there really is not such thing as a turn-key boat....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So, flipping through my thread, I realized that the cockpit upholstery that was sitting in the cockpit getting all dusty was started back in 2012.... I stitched it up over TWO years ago... I felt horrible thinking aout it sitting up there exposed to the indoor shop elements of sawdust, dust in general, potentially bird poop and (Heaven forbid) the ravages of any foolhardy mice.

So I convinced myself to buck the seats down out of the boat to give them a good thorough cleaning, also to store them away in a more climate-controlled location.

Here are a couple of pics of the newly cleaned cockpit upholstery sitting in my office. I will stack these by size and store them away in some trash bags soon.

The nice thing is, they are out of the way, and now I am free to get back to work on finishing up the boat. I need to clean and polish the cockpit, and then re-paint the non-skid with the Kiwi-Grip I have left. Hopefully it is still liquid! :)

My punchlist is much shorter than when I started the project, but there is still much to do.

* wrap up cockpit polish and non-skid
* Finish buffing polishing and waxing topsides
* Sand buff and polish decks
* Install the 110V shore power circuit, breakers and inlet
* Find out if GFO type teflon packing is appropriate on a bronze shaft in fresh water, and if so re-pack my prop shaft packing gland.
* Replace the ProSport 20 Dual battery charger that smoked my house bank and install the ProNautic 1230 charger I recently ordered.
* Replace the two toasted Group 27 house batteries

I don't feel it is reasonable or even safe to try to go out to the shop this time of year to finish it up. So... No splash this summer. Maybe fall, but probably spring 2016. At this point lets hope they don't suck 11 ft of water back out of the lake between now and then...

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Phil,

Nice job. The idea of multiple smaller pieces makes a lot of sense. We are fortunate that our original 1986 cockpit cushions are still holding up, but they are the looong traditional ones that are a PITA to store, even on our large boat. We wrestle (wrassle?) them down the companionway stairs and stuff them in the aft cabin. Since we have our boat set up so well to sail it easily, I keep kidding that the mainsail cover and the cushions are the "only WORK we have to do on the boat!"

Yes, that packing is just fine in any water that is wet, although I've switched to the Ultra X Maine Sail recommended. It's fine on our 1986 bronze shaft.

Good luck with the water levels. I just thought you were timing your splash for when there was water and the authorities knew your schedule so they were waiting on you! :)

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil,

Nice job. The idea of multiple smaller pieces makes a lot of sense. We are fortunate that our original 1986 cockpit cushions are still holding up, but they are the looong traditional ones that are a PITA to store, even on our large boat. We wrestle (wrassle?) them down the companionway stairs and stuff them in the aft cabin. Since we have our boat set up so well to sail it easily, I keep kidding that the mainsail cover and the cushions are the "only WORK we have to do on the boat!"

Yes, that packing is just fine in any water that is wet, although I've switched to the Ultra X Maine Sail recommended. It's fine on our 1986 bronze shaft.

Good luck with the water levels. I just thought you were timing your splash for when there was water and the authorities knew your schedule so they were waiting on you! :)
Thanks Stu!

I need to dig that packing material out, as I bought it several years ago but I too think I have the Ultra X brand now that I see it in type. I bought a pound if it from Hamilton a few years back, right before I started the AC install portion of the thread...

The authorities are SO not waiting on me.... That's funny.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil,

It is worth explaining the smaller pieces... The sizing is not only convenient, it was chosen to correspond to the lazarette hatches... You can get in either laz without moving a cushion out of the way. Then that small little filler piece? Odd huh? That is the removable piece that allows the tiller pilot to be used without removing any other of the cockpit cushions.

I did a similar thing in the quarter berth area under the starboard cockpit seats. The thru-hull for the motor's raw water intake is under a deck plate back in the quarter berth. Rather than bucking some huge hunk of upholstery out of the way to open and close the seacock, you just pop the little piece of upholstery out and then you have easy access to the seacock. Makes you way more willing to open and close it....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
My how time flies. My oldest child, who wasn't even conceived when we started this adventure, is now big enough to climb the ladder up and into the boat. Here are a few pics from Tuesday night and his first introduction to the interior of the boat.

I am pretty sure I have a sailor in him... :D

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I'm not gone... Just taking longer than Luke in California...

Tonight I got a chance to work on my boat again. Work tonight involved vacuuming debris from between deck mold and inner roof liner where compass mounts. I then fired up a peanut butter-thick batch of West Systems products and packed the voids. There will be some filing and cleanup but I will have a solid area in that bulkhead so the fastening screws of the compass can compress sealant, be it foam or butyl.

Now let's see if I can upload a new pic in this new forum.

Attachments