Bypassing the winter blues

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We're headed for Australia and then to New Zealand in 3 weeks. That will be their early fall. We should have our new sails before we go. We don't haul out in the winter but then we don't sail often that time of year either. The constant 40-degree rain feels cold when the wind blows.

Ken

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We had 24 degrees, a thunderstorm with plenty of lightning, and an inch of sleet all at the same time this morning. This last weekend we had record 70 degree temps. Go figure.
I did manage to get my propshaft coupling off so still on schedule for Spring!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We had 24 degrees, a thunderstorm with plenty of lightning, and an inch of sleet all at the same time this morning. This last weekend we had record 70 degree temps. Go figure.
I did manage to get my propshaft coupling off so still on schedule for Spring!
We did the new PSS last year. I like that dry bilge.

Ken

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Visited the boat today. Thought fondly of the launch date months away. Brought home the alternator, getting ready to install a new one, Compass Marine, CMI-90-ERH.

IMG_0970.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm heading to Barcelona on Friday for a week, and then going down to inspect a First 36s7 in Florida. Take that, winter!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
A little lower budget than Jackdaw LOL .. but I picked up new to me stand up paddle board, picture from this last week. I also have an inflatable SUP but wanted something that tracks better and is faster. The person who I bought it from has done 20 mile plus paddles down the Colorado river with it. The person I bought it from is female.. some athletic female stand up paddle boarders around here. Its nice on no wind days and we have a great spot to use a SUP.

2_15_18_1s.jpg
2_15_18_3s.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
I'm heading to Barcelona on Friday for a week, and then going down to inspect a First 36s7 in Florida. Take that, winter!
Oh yeah??? We're heading to the Big Apple in a couple of weeks to see Springsteen on Broadway. Take that Barcelona!

Still working on convincing Susan that we should see Escape to Margaritaville while we're there. Good thing I don't drink Tequila. :D

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Both of my toys are parked for the winter, so things are double depressing!
IMG_1152.JPG
Wife and I usually go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks in February, then it is time to start getting the boat projects done for an April splash.

This year, port water tank is out, new clean out port installed, bilge paint under the tank. Should,get the starboard tank out before splash. Looking for LED bulbs for my dome lights, sewing up a few things on the Mack Pack, ordering a new halyard, etc.

Thank goodness for SailboatOwners, Good Old Boat, and Yachtworld!

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Both of my toys are parked for the winter, so things are double depressing!
A real, honest to goodness 'First World' problem, that. :wahwah:

Well, better than having hydro planed my wife's A4 cabriolet into a guardrail. :eek: And I had just talked to our mechanic about putting the Winter tires on the next week because the current ones were bald. :sosad:

Both your 'toys' are beauties, by the way, Tally.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
I'm a lucky man. Whenever I mention making an addition to the boat, she just sighs, rolls her eyes, and says "whatever." I can't wait until she gets home tonight and finds a box full of new docklines and a new cutting board for the boat. I just know Susan will be sooooooo happy. :)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Whenever I mention making an addition to the boat
I hear you. Bev insisted that we get solar panels and an electric windlass this year. I have to do the install however.(not complaining)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A real, honest to goodness 'First World' problem, that. :wahwah:

Well, better than having hydro planed my wife's A4 cabriolet into a guardrail. :eek: And I had just talked to our mechanic about putting the Winter tires on the next week because the current ones were bald. :sosad:

Both your 'toys' are beauties, by the way, Tally.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you weren’t hurt.

Greg

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
she just sighs, rolls her eyes
I too love the way my wife rolls her eyes at me and allows me to keep adding toys to my boat. The list for 2018 include: new laminate Sails, jib traveler, raymarine i70 wind and Axiom 7 chartplotter. To show my gratitude I’m building her a rowing skiff for when the water is flat. I can envision me sitting on the back with a sun umbrella in one hand a beer in the other:waycool:.
5715266B-A171-412E-81DC-4AE835FBE417.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you weren’t hurt.

Greg
I got lucky in several ways. Not hurt, but also, my father decided he needed a four door jeep instead of his two door wrangler so he gave the wrangler to my wife. She loves it. The only way it could have been better is if I hadn't wrecked her Audi. Now that car, I loved.
It's just as well, though. I had a trailer hitch put on it and my mechanic wanted to strangle me for it. I used it to pull our kayaks because my wife would only go if she could go in a convertible. Now that I have Dragonfly, the Audi wouldn't have been able to handle that, but the jeep can.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
I too love the way my wife rolls her eyes at me and allows me to keep adding toys to my boat. The list for 2018 include: new laminate Sails, jib traveler, raymarine i70 wind and Axiom 7 chartplotter. To show my gratitude I’m building her a rowing skiff for when the water is flat. I can envision me sitting on the back with a sun umbrella in one hand a beer in the other:waycool:. View attachment 146830
I hear ya. The eyes rolled a bit when I said we need a new headsail and then I told her it would be easier to trim. The eyes stopped rolling. :)

Last year we didn't build a new rowing skiff (but I like the idea) instead we bought 2 new kevlar pack canoes. Mine's the heavy one at 18 lbs. Here's a video:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we bought 2 new kevlar pack canoes. Mine's the heavy one at 18 lbs. Here's a video:
Nice boats. When I use to race kayaks, slalom and whitewater, we called those tandem kayaks, like the one in your video, "divorce boats".:cowbell:

-Will (Dragonfly)