Bypassing the winter blues

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Pretty much the same as Jackdaw, seeing as we live and sail in the same place. I had to forgo a TX run to experience Fareast sailing as work is in the way. They like their data to be usable at all times, the nerve I say.... Anyway, I am working on getting the lists of things I will need to complete some projects, watching the VOR, got that trip booked for Newport in May. Oh yeah, keeping the liver in shape with weekly HH with Jackdaw and the monthly yacht club ones.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Well at an average of -20 Celsius over the last two and a half months work on the boat proper has ceased until April and cover off time, that being said we brought home a load of projects when we winterized her and covered her for the winter in early November. These projects include a complete rebuild (re-core and re-fiberglassing ) of the sea hood over the line organizers, a partial re-core of the quadrant cover, a search for a new start battery solar panel and controller for the start battery that was FUBARed beyond any hope of recovery, ordering and getting a new Edson Wheel Brake relining kit, the Admiral bless her heart is sewing up a new cover for the main after taking the old one apart for use as a pattern. (A week ago we lucked into buying a brand new JUKI DDL-8700 industrial sewing machine and all associated kit from an estate sale for approximately 1/3 the on line price, which makes the Admirals projects much easier). We also bought a 28Volt Milwaukee 90Deg drill and a winch bit after a friend that is a machinist required help at his shop for the week and my wages paid the drill out at Home Depot, its gonna be great for pulling up that big main and for the Admiral to pull Mr. Fatbody here up the stick when need be for repairs, etc. Lastly, this weekend we're off to a boat show in Halifax, Nova Scotia (its not a big show) that I refer to as my mental health break. Two or three day in a hotel, someone else doing the cooking, the show and visits with relatives and sailing friends completes the package. Launch day is May 26th, can't wait to get the deck back under my feet.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looking forward to sailing this weekend. Our Local Sailing Club is hosting a cruise.
HISC_15th_Annual_Chili_CookA-1.jpg
Local weather for the weekend is predicted to be:
Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High around 80°F Low around 72°F. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Trying to get a chainsaw working.
Fuel lines and primer bulb issues.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Hmmmm.... Winters already getting short! Been spending time reading blogs, posts here and there and working on "the List"! The parcel from SailRite is due today, so no more procrastination. Prioritization of the List takes a lot of time so I best keep working onnit;)
Best to all,
Paul

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Started spending my Christmas money! Ordered a new prop yesterday.
Got out the old catalogs to start listing all the odds and ends I need.
Still won’t even see the boat until after the first week of May.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
I have been getting out here in Colorado, but think I'll leave some of the maintenance work until it warms up a bit more.
Every weekend I go with the idea of doing some bright work but then I go sail instead, thinking that I'll get some work in when I get back to the slip... the only problem is as the sun starts going down it gets cold and I decide a nice bourbon sounds like a better idea.

I have created a larger bunk for the wife and I though. It spans the width of the cabin and will be perfect for when it is just us and the dog.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good times. The new reacher being sewn up, and new bits for the mast parts (and foredeck hatch) showed up via UPS.

2F8EF018-AFB5-4AEF-85B5-024DC7B01CC2.jpeg

59761AA1-4BF2-4684-9D7A-CA0396F2533C.jpeg

I totally recommend everyone get a NEW SAIL every year. It will massively improve your sailing performance, and your mental health in the winter.

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
New main.. I wish.. it would help with my stoke for sailing..

Along the lines of Bud's ice fishing house with sailboat hardware.. and along the lines of a good thing to do during the winter. A few years ago we got a triangle shaped two person hot tub and there are helper contraptions that make getting the cover on and off for square hot tubs but not for this odd triangle shape.

So.. I built this hot tub gazebo that has a lifting mechanism for raising the cover. And.. it uses all Harken blocks - every one of them. You can see how it works from looking at the pictures but you just crank up a brake winch to raise the cover, release the winch and the cover falls back over the hot tub. Works very nicely.
gazebo_2.jpg
gazebo_1.jpg
gazebo_4.jpg
gazebo_3.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
So.. I built this hot tub gazebo that has a lifting mechanism for raising the cover. And.. it uses all Harken blocks
For the win. Jodi and I love our flat. But miss our hot tub. After 2 years we’ll move in the fall. Probably include a hot tub. Yea.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
So.. I built this hot tub gazebo that has a lifting mechanism for raising the cover. And.. it uses all Harken blocks - every one of them. You can see how it works from looking at the pictures but you just crank up a brake winch to raise the cover, release the winch and the cover falls back over the hot tub. Works very nicely.
Nice work Walt. I like the equalized block concept.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It hasn't been 3 months, since we hauled out (that is frost on the docks, Nov 9).

Haul out 2017.jpg

Sailing is just another feast in life. Summer on the coast is so busy. Winter is a chance to recover and recharge. Living by a harbor means sailing, boats and the ocean - even in winter - are never far from mind.
Fireworks 2017 2.jpg

There's always the next feast. In winter, there is time to see more of our friends and family.

Youngs Xmas 2017 2.jpg

6 to 10 inches of snow will fall today. We need it. I haven't snowboarded yet (I'm not much for ice under my tray).