Bypassing the winter blues

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
What's your strategy for keeping sailing alive in your life (or at least your mind) when the world is a sheet of ice and your boat is hermetically sealed ashore? What keeps you going until the Great Spring Thaw?

Don't need a Great Spring Thaw because you're south of the Mason-Dixon line? Well, then post your winter sailing photos!

No worries... we'll get through this together.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Hi, my name is Kris and it’s been 118 days since I’ve been on a boat. (Only 77 more days to go until splash). I survive by watching these discussions and photos as well as looking at my own photos. Vodka tonics help.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I'm fortunate enough to have my boat about 30 ' from my house, (at least I can look at it whenever I want,:) ). My wife and I keep busy playing squash when not working, Oh my the winter is going by!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sitting in Minneapolis, it’s sunny and 0f out. The Super Bowl run-up has been a blast. Went to DMB last night and something every night for a week. We need it.

I sail/race in Texas every month. The FarEast 28r is a trip and lots of fun. Jodi usually comes and sails too.

Planning boat projects. BlueJ has a FB crew group, and we discuss upgrades and updates to the boat online every winter. Some big, some small. Come the spring tune-up race the boat is in PERFECT condition. Normally there is 10+ items on the list, along with one new sail.

WYC has a happy hour every month, along with a winter party. And the PHRF fleet has a party as well.

So we’re busy right up to launch!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
What keeps you going until the Great Spring Thaw?
The thing that keeps me going until April/May is the $1560.00 check that was just deposited to our Marina indicating I have the same slip as last year. WooHoo!

Otherwise we do a lot of this off season...
62A94A74-89CB-4247-AA5C-2821A7ADCC8E.jpeg

Go Eagles!!!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well even south of I-10, we had to panic winterize parts of our boat.
We did go aboard 2 times a week:)
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My granddaughter came to collect me at the hotel. She just got the poncho and is testing my Disney ball cap with her ensemble. Only 2 but already testing her fashion sense. I caution my daughter and son-in-law they are going to have some fun.
Granddaughter is shaping up to be my future sailing partner. Can not wait.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
My granddaughter came to collect me at the hotel. She just got the poncho and is testing my Disney ball cap with her ensemble. Only 2 but already testing her fashion sense. I caution my daughter and son-in-law they are going to have some fun.
Granddaughter is shaping up to be my future sailing partner. Can not wait.
Awesome...I have three GK’s, we’ll have to see about sailability, the oldest is 4 and Mom’s a bit squirmish about boating in general. I’m hoping hard though.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Besides sailing, we do one to two hikes per week with a bunch of really tough 60 to 80+ YO folks..
whipple_wash4s.jpg
dam_hidaway_2s.jpg

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Mine is in the driveway, I give the the green light a pat as I walk by and whisper " soon"...then downstairs to put another coat of varnish on the tiller

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve been getting a lot of projects done on the boat this winter. Replace Traveler, new Rigid Boom Vang, new reefing lines, upgrade to dual fuel filters, fix crack in muffler.

To do this month before leaving on 7 day Sail with @Stu Jackson and @jssailem, replace bow roller, 120’ new chain, replace Bruce anchor with Mantus, splice rode to new chain, clean off the green slimy stuff

Lots to keep busy with

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Lot of wax and maintenance work for our two boats. We bundle up and trailer the little V17 to the lake during breaks in the weather (this was yesterday Feb 4th) to sail an/or fish:
P1050852.jpg
I recently built a new galley for the Mac 25, and am setting it up for the new Assm spinnaker. whoo-ho :)
P1050871.jpg

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
First up is planning our summer cruise - this summer it’s two weeks sailing the Lake Erie Islands. So reviewing charts, thinking through options with different winds. Musing about fried perch at the Village Pump on Kellys.

This winter, we have been following our dock mate, Ben as his sails his h30 from our dock to the Bahamas: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbmMgFgfYaDrzFVa55RGuKw

And we have already taken our annual winter trip to check out Lady Lillie on the hard - high and dry!

Finally, our yard is doing major repair on our cradle. 40 years of rust finally made it too risky to take our boat for the winter. Should be good for another 40!