BVI suggestions needed

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Going to flotilla sail the BVIs in April-May of 2019. Wife and I are midwest (US) sailors who own a C-22 and have sailed larger boats as well. Probably going to do a Sunsail 7-day flotilla sail.
We like to do more than sail....we travel, visit new places, explore, etc.... Since we are going to spend a fair amount of $$ to get down there next year, is there a lot else to see, either before or after? We could fly into the USVI, then travel to the BVI's, or go straight to the BVI's.
We only have about 2 weeks at most. What would you do with the other 7 days? Visit USVI first? Spend a week in the BVI's prior to sailing? Charter the boat for 7 more days after the flotilla? I am open to suggestions from people who have done all of these. Probably the only time we will get down there and hate to miss something we should have done!
Thanks
Mike

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We landed on St Thomas and stayed at an all inclusive resort called Bolongo Bay the first day. Then we took a ferry to Tortola to meet up with the rest of our gang and pick up our catamaran. Did the reverse at the end of the trip. I'm not sure how much the BVIs have recovered. You should see the Baths. Anegada is a fun trip. Plenty of places to visit. They have diving and snorkeling too.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Mike, I suspect that after you spend one week on the boat you will want another, even 10 days never seems like enough. From what I've been seeing BVI recovery is well underway. There is a great resource here http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html you will get plenty of advice from seasoned BVI charters and travelers.
I will say that St John is a worthwhile visit however St. Thomas is not very appealing except as a stopover on your way to the BVI or St. John. I suppose if you choose to go to a resort that would be a different story. Have a great time planning your trip.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
IMO, the appeal of the VI is all about the water. Book as much sailboat time as you can afford. You'll get plenty of shore time on a boating cruise. Save the rest of your time/money for a different trip; don't waste it land-bound in the VI.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I did my honeymoon that way. A week on a boat and then a week at a resort all in the BVI. I was a bit bored at the resort and wanted to be back on the boat. Also, I recommend flying directly into the BVI. Flying to the USVI and then taking a ferry over and going through customs at the ferry terminal is a time consuming hassle and not worth the savings in airfare (less that $100 by the time you pay for the ferry, taxi, etc.). Get your own boat and make your way over to Anagada for a couple of days along with Virgin Gorda, etc. Go back to the places you liked on the first trip. Do some hiking, etc.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I did my honeymoon that way. A week on a boat and then a week at a resort all in the BVI. I was a bit bored at the resort and wanted to be back on the boat. Also, I recommend flying directly into the BVI. Flying to the USVI and then taking a ferry over and going through customs at the ferry terminal is a time consuming hassle and not worth the savings in airfare (less that $100 by the time you pay for the ferry, taxi, etc.). Get your own boat and make your way over to Anagada for a couple of days along with Virgin Gorda, etc. Go back to the places you liked on the first trip. Do some hiking, etc.
+1 on what MWB said!