BVI Smaller Beneteau charters

Jul 17, 2009
Beneteau First 310 2 50 Point Marina, Lake Ontario
We sail a Beneteau First 310 on Lake Ontario and this month’s issue of Canadian Yachting has us interested in charters around the BVI’s etc. Does anyone know where among these islands we might do a winter charter on a smaller 31 to 36 foot monohull? I’m not ready to captain the 40 plus foot boats typically offered for charter.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Judging by what's just happened down there, there's a good likelihood that there won't be too much charting going on for a while.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Meriachee, but on the other hand, charters/tourists are the lifeblood of the BVIs, and there should be an accelerated rebuilding of the facilities. My club was to charter in February through Moorings. Been there 5 times.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
We sail a Beneteau First 310 on Lake Ontario and this month’s issue of Canadian Yachting has us interested in charters around the BVI’s etc. Does anyone know where among these islands we might do a winter charter on a smaller 31 to 36 foot monohull? I’m not ready to captain the 40 plus foot boats typically offered for charter.
Most charter companies are in Tortola. Quick half day sails to most of the other islands. Don't be afraid of the bigger boats. You will acclimate quickly. You can also hire a captain for a day to help you get settled in. In winter, the Christmas Winds can blow pretty hard and although you are sheltered somewhat in Sir Francis Drake Channel it can get whipped up pretty fast. Go bigger. They are much more forgiving and more comfortable when it blows. You're gonna wish you had a bigger boat.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Ditto on the uncertainty for a while. But, I have always used Horizon Yacht Charters and have had very good experiences with them. I do believe that they have (had) some boats 36 and under. I too sail a 310. The Bavaria boats they have are a good boat and sail well. http://horizonyachtcharters.com/bvi/fleet-and-rates/

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
As others are saying, I'm guessing every operation is in rough shape right now. That being said, a few years ago, my wife and I chartered from Conch Charters (in Tortola) and would do it again in a heartbeat. They are much cheaper than some of their competition down there, and have what they consider "older" boats, but ours was maybe 7 or 8 years old, and in great condition. We chartered a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 36i called. I'm hoping the BVI recovers quickly from the terrible storm damage... such a special place... and while the storm was terrible for the the people there (and the boats), MOST of what we loved about the BVI were snorkeling, caves, "the baths" and easy sails from harbor to harbors... things that weren't destroyed, so I look forward to visiting again soon.

May 12, 2004
Just spoke to a good friend who works for the Moorings. They are trying to get up and running ASAP. Tortola should reopen next month or Dec. followed by St. Martin in Feb. or so. They have ordered all new boats.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What about all of the fun bars, shops, marinas, fuel stops etc? Will they be ready? Will it ever be the same again?:frown:

May 12, 2004
With so many boats destroyed, I wonder what will happen to the second and third tier charter companies like Conch that rely on boats coming out of charter from first tier companies like Moorings and Sunsail?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Conch Charters. We have chartered with them many times. Always great. Unfortunately, they were hit hard the hurricane and are temporarily out of service like many of the charter services. So are many of the fun places to go. I know that the Bitter End Yacht Club got badly damaged. So did Jost Van Dyke.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Smaller is better when chartering from some company, and bigger is better when choosing a boat. Just take more crew to offset the costs. We use BVI Yacht Charters out of Port Purcell. You’ll not find better service and friendly people to work with. Provisioning is a piece of cake from their location. http://www.bviyachtcharters.com/

I’m unsure of their inventory or current commitments, but a call will satisfy all that. We have plans for Feb/Mar 2019.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I am told that this is what the BVI charter fleet looked like a day or two after the storm. Damage seems to have been substantial.

Attachments

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I am told that this is what the BVI charter fleet looked like a day or two after the storm. Damage seems to have been substantial.
Looks like a almost all monohulls went upside down. The Cats seem to have done much better. They shoulda put some Hobie bobs on them before the hurry cane.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like a almost all monohulls went upside down. The Cats seem to have done much better. They shoulda put some Hobie bobs on them before the hurry cane.
Every boat in that picture is a cat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It was so sad to read my latest issues of Sail magazine. For some reason the last 2 issues came at the same time. The October issue had a lot of coverage about going down to the beautiful BVIs and other sailing paradises. Then the November issue had a lot of discussion about the devastation and recovery down there. Sad. I'm glad we were able to get down there last year when we did. To see what the places we visited look like today is heartbreaking,