Buying First Boat - 1985 Hunter 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

Well said Peggie!

Also, just because a boat has only been in fresh water does not necessarily add to it's value. Fresh water boats in a warm climate are more susceptible to blisters. A good survey will help determine the value and in the end it is what the market will bear not what you think it is worth!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Spot On, Peggy

I do think that having an asking price in the ball park vs. the market is important. Beyond that, if the boat is in top shape and continuously upgraded, the difference is whether you get your asking price, or how close you are able to keep the offers to it. I have sold five boats and got full asking price for four. Same for a couple of cars and three houses too. (The skeptic may respond that I was asking too little, but I don't think so.) Rick D.

P

Paul Aubrecht

Last post from me on this

There are many other factors that go into pricing a boat,though,besides the boat itself.For all of you that live ,luckily near a major waterway or the coast,buying a boat and moving it are easy.For a lot of us that use inland lakes there are other factors,the biggest being,If I can get a boat for x but it cost me x plus to derig,transport,and rerig.That also has to befactored into the price of the boat overall. One more thing,the issue of freshwater versus salt water.Yeah,maybe freshwater might cause blisters,maybe not,but I will put the rest of my boat systems,(engine,thruhulls,etc up against any saltwater boat and in 5 years you tell me which one has the least problems.

D

Diane

This thread went in a whole new direction!

Hi everyone, The posts have been very entertaining lately! I wanted to let you know our current status. We are under contract on an O'Day 322. It appears to be a good, clean, well-cared-for boat with aging sails but otherwise ready to go. Now we wait again ... for survey. We did get the owner's permission to paint the bottom so it's ready to go after sea trial. Do you all remember your first bottom painting?!?! We were red from sanding and slightly blue from the new coat of ablative, but I think we enjoyed it :) We believe the boat was fairly priced to start and not out-of-the-ballpark like some we've seen. It isn't 'loaded' but we can pick and choose those things as we go along. Sure it would be nice to have all the extra's but we will prioritize those and we believe we're getting a good amount of boat for the money. This will be the second one surveyed so we're still a little apprehensive. (At least the O'Day has a metal compression post that's easy to evaluate, unlike the Hunter 31's!!) If this doesn't work out, I'm lobbying for the '79 Hunter Cherubini 33. I don't know WHY I like those old Hunter 33's, but I do! You all have been great with your feedback. Sailboat people seem to be ... just good people! P.S. The Hunter 31 we didn't buy (post problem) came down $7500 in price but still hasn't sold. We're keeping an eye on it ...

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
"New" Boat and Outfitting

Congratulations on finding a "replacement" so quickly! Bottom painting and it's not officially yours? That sounds serious! With our first big boat (35ft) we made up and "open to buy" list using a spreadsheet. The items were prioritized and shuffled up and down the list accordingly. It was easy to insert subtotals. The list was really helpful when going to the boat show. With many "items", say radar to use as an example, there is the basic cost of the unit and then there are all the other little costs: say, the mast, the deck mount, bracing, nuts and bolts, breaker switch, and on and on. All these items can be put on the spreadsheet so you can see how it all adds up. The other "neat trick" it to record all boat costs with Quicken using categories such as maintenance, repair, additions (item added to the boat vice something like fiberglass wax), etc. My wife seems to enjoy doing this. Warning: this process can get "painful" especially at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.