Buying a sailboat. Have some questions..

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
I found a sailboat I really like and I'm excited about closing on the purchase. First though, I'm about to spend about $1,500 on a haul out and full survey. Before I commit to that, I'm doing my own inspection and found a few things a little concerning.

When I look up at fiberglass in the ceiling I see some black spots. Is that rot or something to be worried about? Or is it nothing?

The keel bolts/nuts/hardware looks pretty rusty. Is this something to be worried about or not a big deal?

I have more photos too. Appreciate any help and advice :)

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You don’t mention the what kind of boat you buying...that may be helpful in giving additional information.

The keel bolts certainly look bad to me, but again, not sure what sort of boat this is. A few of the bolts don’t have any threads showing above the nuts and the nuts look very bad. I would have to assume the bolts are also in bad shape.

The black spots on the ceiling could be from mold, but the interior doesn’t actually look too bad. You can see the square filler (balsa, I assume) material between the laminate. I would very carefully inspect the top deck above the dark spot to check for mushy decks, or other signs of delamination. But it really doesn’t look to bad from the inside. Why is it bare fiberglass? Normally there is some sort of interior liner to cover up the laminate. Is there signs of leaking?

Let us know what sort of boat you are looking at, and I am sure you will get other helpful comments.

Good luck on your quest for your new boat.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: With Greg’s observations.

$1500 haul out is expensive for our area on a short haul.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Black areas are almost certainly areas of water intrusion from the deck. As Tally Ho said find out what is leaking on the deck. Make sure you step on the deck in these areas. The deck should not deform at all. You may get away with re-sealing at this stage. And, I agree, what happened to the liner? As for the bolts I think they look worse than they are. I think the nuts and backing plates could be cleaned up maybe except for the two (I can't tell where they are.) But you really don't know the condition of the studs. When the boat is in the sling push on the keel to see if it moves independently of the hull. That would suggest dropping the keel or moving on to another boat. Is that a crack under the table or compression post?
It is a big deal if the keel falls off the boat under sail.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A few of the bolts don’t have any threads showing above the nuts
I think what we're seeing in the picture are the bolt heads, with the rest of the bolt tapped into the (presumably iron) keel. In a lead keel I'd expect to see studs with nuts, and yes there should be threads showing above the nuts, but not for bolts in iron. The two worst bolt heads do look pretty poor. If they aren't seized it may be possible to just replace them; the others don't look so bad except maybe some surface rust. Without knowing the make and model it is a little hard to say where else to look, other than the usual suspects like chainplates, mast step, through hulls, etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Newbie3, to the perfect forum for you. Lets hope your choice of names becomes a misnomer on SBO.
I agree with Tally Ho about the bolts and the discoloration is a flag to look for soft spots in the deck, but really, it looks like blue stain fungus, to me. It is a discoloration of the wood from an insect infestation of the tree and can turn the wood blue to blue green in radial patterns through the sap pores. Mostly it just looks bad. I'm not able to reassure you that is what you are looking at. You need to check more thoroughly by tapping with a plastic handled screwdriver or plastic mallet and listen for those dead spots. Definitely walk around on the deck feeling for softness. The cabin top and decks should be solid and inflexible.
I don't know haul out pricing, I'm a trailer sailor, but if the boat you are looking at makes $1500 look like a worthwhile investment just to inspect a purchase, a reputable professional surveyor would be worth every penny. He/she will gladly share knowledge about repairs and costs as well as future expectations. Follow the surveyor around and drink up every word. Maybe the next boat you survey yourself will be easier.

Tell us a little more about your sailboat experience and what you hope to do with your new purchase. It would be particularly helpful to know what type of work you are experienced with doing for repairs and upgrades. Do you feel comfortable with fiberglass and wood work? Mechanical and electrical work? Are you planning to do your own work or hire a yard to do it? Since you are doing your own inspection, I assume you have experience with both boats and repair work. That is good. It would help us know how to consider our answers to your problems better.
Good luck and I hope to read more about your sailboat life in the future. Welcome.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What Will said. This boat looks like a fixer upper from what is shown. Be sure the rigging, engine and sails are up to the task. I hope you are getting it for a good price. I would keep self-inspecting it until it gets to the point where it might not be worth $1500 to look deeper.
Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Wow you guys are great! This is a 38' 1980s Benateau if that helps.

One more item has been on my mind... I lifted all the floor panels I could get to and inspected everything. Nearly the entire bilge looks pretty good with one exception. I can't really tell if this is from manufacturing, damage, or a previous repair... it's a rough edge against the wall. Could this be liner/grid and hull separation?

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You say, "I found a sailboat I really like and I'm excited about closing on the purchase" I'd just like to point out one mistake many boat buyers make that can cost them plenty of money.
Until you actually own it, it is just any other item for sale, like a truckload of bricks or a bucket. You cannot let yourself become emotionally involved in any boat you might want to buy until she is actually yours. Being emotionally involved with a boat before you buy it can cause you to overlook faults that can cost you dearly, and should you fail to make the purchase, upset you unreasonably.
Rein in your emotions and keep this strictly a business deal until she is actually yours.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You say, "I found a sailboat I really like and I'm excited about closing on the purchase" I'd just like to point out one mistake many boat buyers make that can cost them plenty of money.
Until you actually own it, it is just any other item for sale, like a truckload of bricks or a bucket. You cannot let yourself become emotionally involved in any boat you might want to buy until she is actually yours. Being emotionally involved with a boat before you buy it can cause you to overlook faults that can cost you dearly, and should you fail to make the purchase, upset you unreasonably.
Rein in your emotions and keep this strictly a business deal until she is actually yours.
Great advice, but can it really work that way? We try, but as soon as you start to imagine yourself in this boat, you lose your objectivity. It's a sailboat. If you weren't the type to make emotional decisions, you wouldn't be looking at a sailboat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Wow you guys are great! This is a 38' 1980s Benateau if that helps.

One more item has been on my mind... I lifted all the floor panels I could get to and inspected everything. Nearly the entire bilge looks pretty good with one exception. I can't really tell if this is from manufacturing, damage, or a previous repair... it's a rough edge against the wall. Could this be liner/grid and hull separation?

Ah that sure likes like cracks from something happening to the keel at one point. I'm far from an expert but I'd walk away if I saw that and could get no info from owner. @Jackdaw is a Beneteau resource, maybe he will take a look at that issue. I find it hard to believe that left the factory in the 80s like that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Maybe the tabbing of the pan to the hull separated. Usually this is caused by a hard grounding. So you have to inspect the areas in front of and behind the keel for hull damage and the keel for damage or signs of repair. On the good side is that if the keel bolts held up the grounding they are probably good to go. The bilge is dry - right?

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
The pan, grid, or liner... seems like these are interchangeable terms for the same thing... is a structural component, right?

If that's come disjointed from the hull... it's a serious problem. Dangerous even?