Buying a new 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've never bought a new boat. It isn't likely I ever will.
But stuff happens - even in the factory. Equipment is installed, maybe by subcontractors, or by the dealer, that may not be right. I think its good practice to have a survey even of a new boat. Yeah you have a warrenty but you have to know about it before you can make a claim. A surveyor's statement would buttress your claim.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
Juice, et.al. I've bought ten new boats from dealers--the last five were Hunter sailboats from two dealers here in the Pacific Northwest. One reason I continued to buy Hunter boats was the quality of workmanship. All of the boats we bought were put together at the factory in a quality fashion. However..... and there will always be a "however," you need to check the boat out carefully when it arrives as well as while it is being commissioned by the dealer.

Your boat will come with sails still packaged and probably on the aft bunk. All sheets and lines will be on the cabin floor....along with the anchor. Somewhere in this mess of confusion should be the owner's manual. Get a hold of that and start reading. One of the first pages will be a check off list of what is supposed to be on the boat.

Some things the dealer will do. For example, I wanted flag halyards port and starboard and I wanted it dead center in the spreaders so that the burgees wouldn't flap on the shrouds at night. It is sometimes hard for a ship yard worker to do something different then they have been doing most of their careers. You just have to check on things as they put the boat together.

Once the boat is in the water and ready for you, get the dealer to go over the entire boat with you--take a day at least. And go sailing. DO NOT DO ANYTHING BUT WATCH. I screw up on this part as I get excited and want to sail MY boat. One of my New Hunter boats came with a curved rudder. But it took a year to figure out what the problem was. My last boat came with a poorly cut sail for a in mast furling main. Again it took over a year to figure out the problem. Had I made the dealer show me everything I think they would have said something is not working quite right. Even so my dealer took care of things even three years in the ownership.

I have to say that the five boats I bought from Hunter were in great shape even with the above problems. Hunter does a good job of building a boat. And yes, they do use equipment from other companies like Lewmar, Doyle, Yanmar, etc. and these items may need checking. I had a Lewmar winch that quit working for me and it turned out it was too well gooped when installed at the factory so that the white stuff came through the bottom of the winch and pushed a gear out of alignment. Probably once in a million chance of it happening. I fixed it with the help of a friend. No big deal.

No, I've never had a surveyor check the boat after delivery. I don't think surveyors see the little stuff like a loose wire. I think that is what the dealer is suppose to do. I have thought of holding back some of the money until the boat is completed but have never done so. I think your relationship with the dealer is important and I want to work WITH them to complete the boat.

It is an exciting time. Take lots of pictures of which you will hardly ever look at once again. Don't forget the champaign. And have fun.

My best to you,

Les

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
The plan is for them to commission and launh the boat in Racine. We will then do a shakedown with them on board, sailing the boat from Racine to Manitowoc by way of Port Washington. They will be on the boat with us for the trip, teaching us how every thing works along the way. I want to be down in Racine as much as possible during the commissioning process. I still need to talk to my insurance agent. Based on my reviews of the forums, there are definately some areas I want to check carefully.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Been Happy

I have owned 2 new Hunters a 2001 290 and yes Hunter came to bat when a leak was found and they paid a none Hunter dealer to do the repair and now I have a 2007 36 and still in love with it and yes I ordered it to be built at the factory with all my added option's and everything worked great maybe a few things none Hunter built equipment did break down but everything was taken care of under warranty,yes I wish I would have had a few things added or changed but did not think of all things.
We are out sailing west coast Florida for expected 2 weeks at least and just love the boat and wish my wife would live aboard for a month or 2 but she likes her home comforts so I am planning longer trips with some guy friends to the Keys and Dry Tortugas and many other places,Hunter builds great boats and they give you alot of boat for the money and Hunters are sailing the same places that so called blue water boats that cost twice as much.
Have fun and enjoy your new Hunter.
Nick

BruceK

Jul 26, 2005
Hunter 33 Portland, ME
Welcome to the club! the 33 is turning our to be quite popular....my 09 came from a dealer who used it for a couple of shows, but I still had issues...many don'y show up until whatever it is gets discovered by accident or first use...e.g. the cooler melted ice rapidly and wouldn't drain, so I removed it and found the drain hose still coiled up with duct tape....and also noticed the foamed insulation around the cooler wasn't....stuff like that. They sent me a new one... But the boat floats, sails really good (fin keel),and the little things still give me something to do weekends! One thing you might think about is replacing the raw water strainer with a real life one that can be cleaned out rapidly in emergency conditions...not difficult or very $$.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Dealer in Toronto said they sold more 33's than any other model, or at least when we bought ours.

Juice, make sure you update us when it arrives etc. and with lots of picures.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
For you factory new boat buyers ...

When do you actually pay the balance of the purchase price - when delivered to dealer - when commissioning complete?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I've bought two new boats, and both times in the sales contract I negotiated a 10% final payment when the boat was commissioned, in the water and I was happy...the second time I made it subject to survey, for which I paid...as the first time around there was a LOT of finger pointing between the dealer, the manufacturer of various equipments and the boat builder...and they did not like the fact that I was the one that said yes or no...

Even on a new boat, your surveyor and insurance company can be your best friend.

Sadly, once you have paid the full price, you lose all negotiating power, as there is zero incentive for the dealer, builder, installer, rigger to fix your issues.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
On all our new boats we've paid up front. It's a trade off I think between you and the dealer--how much do you want his good will later on. I can also say that on several occasions Hunter has gone out of its way to take care of some problems that they might not have needed to--some blisters long after warranty. I will also say that I had one dealer that I might have thought about holding back ten percent. Perhaps.....

Sep 11, 2007
PSC FLICKA seattle wa
It makes sence to get a survey since things can be missed by the factory and the dealer. Here is a question that might also be a reasonable option. Why not sail the boat for a year or so then have a survey? I am thinking you will have an extended waranty. Keep in mind I have nothing but praise for the Hunter Marine service department. I hope others have had a great experience dealing with customer service. :)

Of course if the dealer will come down in price (enough for a survey) then do both :)

Hope by now your enjoying your boat!

May 10, 2004
Boat arrived this morning at the dealer. We will be going out on Saturday to check her out during the RRM open house. Cushions won't be here for a couple of weeks. Mills have a backllog on producing the fabrics.

May 10, 2004
Hull number 620 is our new baby. Finally got to crawl through. So far, no issues that were obvious, except that the cushions aren't here yet.

May 10, 2004
Name is on. The bottom paint is going on.

Checked her out this week. Options list looks right. I put the name decals on Thursday. They started prepping for bottom paint. If the weather cooperates, they will launch on Thursday.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Nice pics... Must be a Harry Potter fan ;)

Glad to see Hunter finally smartened up and put a SS grab rail in front of the stove. Ours has the teak counter adge across the front and partially blocks the stove controls.

May 10, 2004
Nice pics... Must be a Harry Potter fan ;)
We struggled for a few days trying to figure out a name for the new boat. We were watching a rerun of Harry Potter and they were talking about a Patronus as a charm from your happiest memories. In Latin, the word means guardian or protector. I thought it would be appropriate for a boat used to escape from the drudgery of work and daily life. Finding a Hogwarts font on line that could be used by the sign shop was a bonus!

May 10, 2004
What are the little screen cups in the galley for?

:doh:In the shelf behind the galley stove are two little screened cups. They seem fixed to the shelf. What are they for?

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Patronus....are you sure that doesn't mean high grade tequila;).

Beautiful new ride. I'm green with envy. I'm also beginning to think that it's a trend for former 260 owners move to a 33. Nice choice.
Mike

Sep 20, 2006
:doh:In the shelf behind the galley stove are two little screened cups. They seem fixed to the shelf. What are they for?
They vent the cabinets below.

Nice name, I like it. We've read and seen every book / movie. Started out reading a chapter each night to the kids before they could read well enough. Now they're 20 & 17.

May 10, 2004
Launching day tomorrow morning

Well, tomorrow is launching day. We need to be there by 8:30. It's going to be an early morning. Got to warm up the old camera. Now hopefully, it doesn't .....snow:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.