Buying a Hunter has been a frustrating experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Larson

HELP! I have the same problem!

Well, we took our new 260 out for its first sail today and we are really glad we read your post. We began taking on water and knew where to look. There were at least 3 "holes" leaking water into the aft compartment near the battery nearly the size of a pencil. Needless to say, our day of sailing was not fun. On examination, there appears to be a crack next to the rub rail on the underside of the hull/deck joint. I would really like to speak with you on the phone to talk to you about your plans with your boat and what Hunter's response to you has been so far. Bernie, if you wouldn't mind sending me your phone number or e-mail address ASAP, I would appreciate it as we need to decide what to do in the next few days. Thanks, Jim - jlarson@micron.net

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
The buck stops at the top

As a business owner who relies heavily on subcontractors, I have had to (meekly) take the heat from clients on those few occasions when flawed products left the shop, even when it was really the subs mistake. It was still our fault because we accepted something that was below standard and passed it on to a paying customer who had our trust. I think it was bad form for Hunter to blame poor quality on a subcontractor. The name on the boat is theirs, and I am sure Bernie's check was made out to Hunter. The proper response from the factory should have been: "We messed up, and we will do everything that we possibly can to make it right, as quickly as possible." And while they were at it, they should personally contact the buyer of every other boat assembled by that subcontractor as quickly as possible and make sure that these boats all meet spec. Firing the sub or even suing them for damages would not be out of the question. It may be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as lost consumer confidence (remember the Audi 5000?), or a lawsuit from someone injured because of faulty workmanship that was known but not acted on. Peter S/V Raven

D

Doug Winter

Serious QC problems

Hi Jim sorry to here about you new 260. I was at the marina today and got the low down from Joe and Debbie. They told me this was your second serious problem with this boat. the first one was a centerboard issue. To bad!. It seems Hunter has some very serious problems in the quality of the 260. In the mean time, if you sold your old boat and want to get on the water email me. You are more than welcome to use my 26 anytime. dgwinter@home.com

B

Brent Butikofer

I think I'll buy a Macgregor

I too have seriously considered buying and even dealing the Hunter line. After all these horror stories I have had second thoughts. Consider also that all these guys have dropped over 30K for this boat. I can think of few things that would make me sicker than to buy a 30K+ boat only to find out that it leaks and behind that leak to find poor quality workmanship. For my money, I think I'll buy a Macgregor 26. I know, it's not as sexy and it won't sail quite as nicely but I'm pretty sure it won't sink and I won't have to stay up at night wondering about that aft sugar scoop seem leaking with my new born sleeping up front.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
MacGregor?

Brent: Just because you read real truth here why would you not consider a Hunter? If you go look at the MacGregor site (assuming that there is one), these people probably expect these boats to leak and sink. They would probably even bother to complain (so you would never know about it) . Just ask Phil Herring. If something happens to a 20 year old Hunter, these guys act like they just bought the boat last week and paid $200k. Hunter people especially on this site are really into their boats and are very proud of them. And please don't use that word again (you know Mac------)

G

Greg Stebbins

Intolerance? From us? I hope not!

The MacGregor 26 is, I believe, no better or worse than the Hunter 260. They ARE very different boats designed for different purposes. The MacGregor is more or less a motorsailer with motoring capabilities beyond anything the Hunter 260 can manage and the 260 has sail performance capabilities way beyond the MacGregor (but not the Hunter 23-Ha!). The MacGregor may be built a little lite compared to the 260 but the Mac is a big boat for the money and if properly cared for will last. And besides, The old original Venture 21’s were cool looking boats on lite wind days. Greg H23 Faster-

D

Dave Condon

Subject beaten to death

I am going out on the limb as there have been enough posts on this one. For over18 years, I have watched the developemnet of sailboats particualy the Hunter trailerbles. In general, they do build good boats but sometimes they may not be aware of a problem until it occours. When it does occur, they are quick to act to fix it. Too often I see people complain but not to the dealer or the manufacturer. When Hunter is aware, they are quick to act to fix and resolve it. Just like everyone else in manufacturing, mistakes are made but Hunter is one of those who promptly resolves it and this is based on experience as a custormer and now as a dealer. We all are not perfect(there is only one perfect being above us) but when one tries to resolve the issue, then that person or company should be praised. It is sad to see so many cry foul over an issue when many did not experience the problem and in some cases fail to notify the dealer or Hunter. I even get disgusteded when some even mention lawsuits. Also, no one was hurt. The boat was fixed quickly as I understand. This forum is designed to help the Hunter owners and I am sad to see the blank blank gripes that go on and now I wonder whether or not to continue giving imput. I give out input because I enjoy doing so in hopes that it will help some of you but this has been beaten to death. Enough said. Crazy Dave

D

Dave Condon

Response to Gregg Stebbins

As I have mentioned, there is only one perfect being above us. Even the best of the best make mistakes too. Take for example, Raytheon. Sometimes their products do not work but just like Hunter they respond very quickly to resolve and or fix the issue. Raytheon is a good company too just like Hunter. Who do you work for, Rayetheon? Crazy Dave

D

Daniel Busche

Brentdon'tbuyMacgregor

Brent, Remember me? You asked me about my h240 here in Utah at Bear Lake? Please don't make the mistake and buy a Macgregor. You will regret it later. In 1994 I was looking at the Catalina 22, the Hunter 23.5 and the Mac 26. All about the same price. I settled for the Mac, since I thought I would get the most boat for the money. Boy was I wrong and did I ever regret it. I don't want to Macgregor bash, but you cannot compare the boats. The rigging, mast, shrouds, even the sheets were inferior to anything I have seen on either Catalina or Hunter. Just take a look at the flimpsy mast and boom of the Mac and compare it to the mast and boom of the h240 or h260. (Sorry, I said I wasn't going to Macgregor bash :) I am very concerned about what has happend to Bernie's boat. But I feel that Hunter is fixing the problem and fast. My boat (a '99) is as dry as a bone. Just had it out over Memorial weekend and with winds up to 25 mph and I had 12 people on board, ranging from 1 1/2 years to 68. Everyone had a great time. And I felt very confident about the boat and especially the rigging. I agree with Crazy Dave, this thing has been beat to death, but mistakes do happen and the only question is, what is Hunter doing to fix it. And it sounds like they are envolved. Bernie, please keep us all informed! We are feeling the pain with you! And good luck on your next "Maiden Voyage"! Dan Busche s/v Brigitta '99 h240

G

Greg Stebbins

You got it Mr. Dave. Or can I call you Crazy?

Hey Dave, Does this mean I can post here again? I do work for Raytheon, although, its not a part of Raytheon you’re probable familiar with. We’re not very closely affiliated with Raytheon Marine and probably a whole lot less affiliated by the end of year. We build……special aircraft for the U.S. and other governments. Did you like the movie Airforce One? We build those aircraft and many many others for secret and much less benign purposes. The movie was a crock by the way, AF-1 can defender herself much better than portrayed. Greg H23 Faster-

R

Rick Webb

Greg, Can we get Chaff and Flare too?

If I put a flare dispenser on my boat would it satisfy the CG requirements? A chaff dispenser would probably work better than a radar reflector so that the tug boats coming down the ICW could see me. Let us know when you start taking orders.

G

Greg Stebbins

Don't recommend it Rick.

3 elements to avoid when grafting systems are- 1 Halt 2 catch fire 3 kill operator Given your request, 1.HALT- Probably wouldn't "halt" or stop you boat from sailing but given their size, it'd be close. 2.CATCH FIRE- Oh, you bet. Would be very spectacular. 3.KILL OPERATOR- Yes, but not right away. Unless you really need to experience a Viking Chieftain funeral from an "on the boat" point of view, I recommend against it.

B

Bryan C.

Why we need countermeasures on our boats

The following was posted on the HOW a couple months ago. Shows why chaff and flare countermeasure systems are more than just idle considerations. Pretty funny if you didn't catch it. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sailor570/pwchelp.htm

T

Todd Thomas

hunter vs mac? get real

Dear Brent; Deciding to buy a MacGregor over a Hunter is like deciding to go back to horse and buggy because you got a flat tire! Get real! I have owned a Hunter 26 since 1994 and have found it to be the best tralierable around. Sure it's had a few problems, remember, these are HAND-MADE. As for the differences and similarities I feel that I am somewhat of an expert, or at least well educated in most tralierables, you see, after my experience with my Hunter and being fed up with fifteen years in the furniture business I went to the dealership I purchased my boat from and got a job selling and rigging sailboats. We sell Hunter, Catalina, and MacGregor. I can say I have had extensive dialogue with all the respective service departments and I can very confidently say that Hunter and Catalina are not even comparable to a MacGregor. i.e. One year warr. on mac (just on the items they produce, the hull) after that time, yes you can get parts, but THERE IS NO WARRANTY period. You think mac is a deal? No it is less expensive, but not a deal. We have to build in and allow for many things that can and do go wrong. Mac does not cover most of those items, it is your dealer. I could go on, but i will leave you with this. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. p.s. If you do decide on the mac, we do take year old macs on trade. Bernie, I hope your situation is rectified to your satisfaction, I know Hunter is concerned, but alas, we are only human. Best of Luck! T. Thomas piratet@micron.net

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Dave goes the Distance

When I traveled down to North Carolina to pick up my H260 in mid April, Crazy Dave was hard at work. He checked everything in his previous post. He told me that Hunter was having a problem with the rub rail, and proceeded to take it off and caulk the 5200 hell out of it. Then wishing for a camera, Dave stuck his head under the table and proceed to caulk the compression post. Now if this wasn't a sight, partial moon rise in a H260!!!! Sorry Dave....couldn't help myself. NOT! Now if it only stop raining every weekend....

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Warning to Crazy Dave...don't jump ship!!

I watched "The Bounty" on TV last night and I just thought I'd remind you that the penalty for deserting ship is 20 lashes of the cat o' nine. And whatever you do, don't try the line that one of Capt. Bligh's crew used: "They'll have to find me first!". We know where you live, and it's a lot closer than Tahiti! Seriously though, I think a lot of the vitriolic posts were more the result of dashed expectations rather than a legitimate beef with Hunter. We all think highly of their boats, so I guess it would be disappointing to some people to find out that the guys at the factory (and in the front office) sometimes have feet of clay. That's just human nature, don't take it personal. Now, about that peach brandy... Peter S/V Raven

P

Paul Jordan

Personally, I've Had Enough...

At the risk of expressing an unpopular opinion, I have personally had more than enough of "Crazy Dave", on this website and otherwise. I think his continued participation here really compromises the intent of an "owners" forum. Why do I say this? His post, "Subject Beaten to Death", strikes me as a frantic dealer's attempt to squelch an open, honest, "owners" discussion that might result in some people losing confidence in Hunter, which might translate into fewer dollars for him. There is just no room here for that sort of post, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.