Buy Tiller Pilot

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
I'm thinking of buying an old Autohelm tiller pilot for a really good price. My question is - if it has issues and doesn't work quite right - can it be fixed? Are these repairable devices, or chuck-and-buy-a-new-one devices?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, but not at Raymarine. There's a fellow named Dan Gerhardt in Colorado who does it. Do a search here on his name, contact info has been posted earlier.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Might I suggest you contact the manufacturer or do a Google search for that exact model? You might find some independent repair service. Our old navico tiller pilot was no longer supported and no parts were available,so we ended up purchasing a new unit.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'm thinking of buying an old Autohelm tiller pilot for a really good price. .
Which model is it and will the seller let you try it to see if it works. If it is a ST1000 or ST2000, parts should be available but like a lot of things the price for parts and labor might offset just buying a new one depending of course on purchase price.

We went with the ST2000 after reading different comments by owners a few years back. The 1000 looks adequate for our size boats but I like the added strength of the 2000, especially after really depending on it sailing solo on long trips where I wouldn't want it to fail.

Personally I'd pass if for any reason it wasn't in working order at the time of purchase. I will say that I wish we would of bought one much sooner ;)

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Dan Gerhardt: "I do not work on tillerpilots."
Turns out I missed out on the deal - someone offered $160 while I was thinking through it. Oh well :)
We went with the ST2000 after reading different comments by owners a few years back.
Do you have a sense for how long (sailing hours in a typical mix of wind/sea conditions) an ST1000 vs. ST2000 would likely last for a Mac?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The 1000 is more than adequate for a 25 under most conditions, and like anything, it’ll last essentially forever if you take care of it.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Thanks Meriachee.
it’ll last essentially forever if you take care of it
How would you define taking care of it?
Does that mean not using it heavy weather, large waves, or on a run, or is there some kind of maintenance that makes the difference?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Keep it clean and dry and if it’s sounding like it’s working too hard, take over for it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First of all, that Autohelm unit is at least 25 years old.... you can buy its replacement, a Raymarine 1000, new for well under $400. Just because it's on Ebay...doesn't mean it's a great deal.. especially with marine equipment. You're lucky you missed out. It might get you around the lake but it won't hold up for that much longer.

The most important thing is to have your sail plan balanced when using it.... that will reduce the stress and abuse on the gears. I have an Autohelm 1000 (pre Raymarine) that served be well for years.... but... it had a difficult time in shifting seas where there was a lot of pressure on the rudder... yawing back and forth, for instance. The bracket that holds the swiveling pin mount cracked and was repaired with epoxy quite successfully. I never found the courage to pop open the case.... the thing is well over 20 years old.. technology has changed.. the new ones are much more intuitive.

I opted for the Simrad TP22 and am very impressed. This unit can be networked.. I have it tied into my Nmea 2000 system and it can use the wind data to steer, compass, course, waypoint..etc. My B&G Vulcan chartplotter has an AP display screen that I use to control it.... looks and works like the A24 wheel pilot controller.
So my advice is to save your money for a new one... they're not that expensive and they will be a revelation to your sailing experience.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Thanks @Joe. Would others agree - it's worth buying new (or slightly used) for 2-4x the cost?
Note that I'm sailing a $1000 boat, so spending $400 on anything (besides a motor) feels like a lot. But being able to sail alone or for more than 3 hours without going nuts would be worth it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks @Joe.
Note that I'm sailing a $1000 boat, so spending $400 on anything (besides a motor) feels like a lot. But being able to sail alone or for more than 3 hours without going nuts would be worth it.
I'd suggest that you think of it as a 25 foot boat, and not as a 1000 dollar boat. Basing everything as a percentage of your initial investment dooms you and your boat to a cheap and frankly crappy existence. Some things are going to cost more. And are worth it. Like the tiller pilot. Some things will probably cost more than your boat. Like a set of sails. Don't be afraid to spend.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Thanks @Jackdaw. I think your comment makes sense with a Tiller Pilot, since I can always use it on a new boat or sell it.
For something that's only useful on this boat (cabinets, galley, anchor locker, seat cushions, etc...), however, I think I still need to consider the initial cost of the boat since I don't want to spend $5000 getting it up to snuff when I could just buy another boat with the amenities I want for $3000.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Thanks @Jackdaw. I think your comment makes sense with a Tiller Pilot, since I can always use it on a new boat or sell it.
For something that's only useful on this boat (cabinets, galley, anchor locker, seat cushions, etc...), however, I think I still need to consider the initial cost of the boat since I don't want to spend $5000 getting it up to snuff when I could just buy another boat with the amenities I want for $3000.

I had the same thoughts once I bought my boat and found it to be a wreck with fresh paint on it. But I decided that overall it fit my needs and so I went about rebuilding it as I sailed. Now I know this boat stem to stern, keel to mast head and I built to what I want (still far from done)- not someone elses idea of what I want. I stopped keeping track of what I spend on it though I always try and be frugal. Keeping track just makes you crazy. I decide what is needed or wanted, must have should have nice to have, and if I can swing it I buy. If not I don't. There are ways to make do.

I never think about resale value because for a 45 year old boat it isn't worth considering. What is worth considering is the pleasure and future I plan on my boat.

Nov 8, 2010
exactly correct.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks @Joe. Would others agree - it's worth buying new (or slightly used) for 2-4x the cost?
If you can guarantee that the $150 tiller pilot can perform... certainly I would say go for it. Unfortunately, you know so little about them it is impossible to determine that from an ebay ad.

The good news is that you've spent so little on the initial investment you are justified in purchasing decent equipment. I always laugh when someone posts on here that they've found a huge bargain.... "all it needs is a mast, rudder, and maybe some used sails"..... the truth about boats is that the sum of the parts far outweighs the total value..
In particular, a tiller pilot is portable and can be taken with you if someone doesn't want to pay for it when you sell the boat. That alone, makes it a good boat investment. But the fact is that a basic tiller pilot is the very best bang for your buck investment you can make in your sailing experience.... new sails are second, btw. so start saving your money. Here's a link to the simrad basic tiller pilot with a really good price https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Simrad-Tp10-Tillerpilot-p/simtp10.htm

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I'm thinking of buying an old Autohelm tiller pilot for a really good price. My question is - if it has issues and doesn't work quite right - can it be fixed? Are these repairable devices, or chuck-and-buy-a-new-one devices?

I bought an Autohelm 800 on craigslist a few months ago. Probably 35 years old and never used $50.
Broke first day I used it but I took it a part and glued back together the small drive gear that had split in half and reinforced it.
I'm a pretty handy guy, and I have more time than money so I don't give up easily.
Used it again on a 3 day sail and it has held up ok. Time will tell. I did learn that I really want to have something like this on the boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
If I was wanting a tiller pilot I would consider this one. https://pelagicautopilot.com/ It is ugly as sin but by all reports I have seen it is bullet proof. Webb Chiles burned out 4 Raymarine units sailing his Moore 24 from San Diego to New Zealand so he tried one of these. He used it from New Zealand to Florida and the only problem he had was a broken wire that was able to be re-soldered.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
If I was wanting a tiller pilot I would consider this one. https://pelagicautopilot.com/ It is ugly as sin but by all reports I have seen it is bullet proof. Webb Chiles burned out 4 Raymarine units sailing his Moore 24 from San Diego to New Zealand so he tried one of these. He used it from New Zealand to Florida and the only problem he had was a broken wire that was able to be re-soldered.
I have one and it is outstanding. It's in a totally different league from the Raymarine ST1000/2000, which are toys by comparison. Much more robust and it actually steers the boat well on courses other than close hauled.
I agree that the earlier versions were ugly but I think the newer control head doesn't look half bad.

Nov 8, 2010
The Pelagic is an outstanding unit for sure... but if you want a direct Raymarine comparo you best compare it to the EV-100. Its arguably more capable than the Pelagic, but also twice ($1500) the price.

RayMarine-T70153-EV-100-Tiller-Evolution-Autopilot_330x280.jpg