butyl tape source? gel coat paste source?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
bottom work done, keel work done, on to bedding deck hdwr & touchup on some spider cracks...
recommended source for butyl tape (is all bt created equal?)
source for gel coat paste (white)
Thx in advance,
Ron

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
recommended source for butyl tape (is all bt created equal)
No all butyl tape is not equal. I bought some from amazon and west marine and they worked ok but had different consistency sand thickness. If I were to do it again I would get it from mainsail. His tape seems to squish out better than most and is reasonably priced.

http://shop.marinehowto.com/products

Information on tap can be found at. https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Hope that helps and glad to hear your starting to wrap things up!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Absolutely buy the butyl from our frequent contributor MaineSail, as advised above.

Relative to the gel coat: Search this site for related threads. There have been many. There is a source of low cost gel coat that can be color matched to your boat, and it has been discussed here several times. I just can't remember the name.

Edit: Maybe Mini-Craft, somewhere in Florida?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Also recommend Bed-It butyl tape.. Follow his directions on his site and ya likely won't have any more problems.. Do the beveling of the holes for sure which stops some spider cracks from developing and helps with the butyl seal.. It is quick and easy to work with..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think you have your answer on the butyl!

I've never bought ready-made gel coat paste, but I've had great success buying pre-waxed gelcoat from Jamestown Distributors (https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...Name=Evercoat+One+Step+Finish+Premium+Gelcoat) and thickening it with colloidal silica (West 406, Cab-o-sil, whatever). One can of it will probably be more than enough to touch up all your boo boos. What you don't thicken can be sprayed with a $5 Preval sprayer, rolled on with a foam brush, etc.

You may want to try your hand at tinting it though. Your boat may look white, but there ain't nothin' as white as untinted gel coat.

Oh, and gel coat doesn't stay fresh very long at all. Once you buy it, you have to use it all within a couple months. Keeping it in the fridge supposedly helps.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You might want to look at butyl from an auto glass supplier first. And relatively cheaper too. They seem to know what they're doing and you can actually touch and feel the various permutations of which there are many. These folks also have the expertise to properly advise which suits boat windows best.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
mainsail's butyl it will be, nearly unanimous...

found the paste on one of Luke's posts = "Chips, scrapes, and gouges are easily fixed with Spectrum Gel-Paste and its cheap/easy to work with"....(can be ordered by color, make/model/vintage of boat)....will give it a whirl...

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Keeping it in the fridge supposedly helps.
I've had a can of gel coat in the fridge going back about four years and it hasn't clotted yet. Keep it in a zip lock bag to ensure no vapours escape. Touch up a few spider cracks every year before the novelty wears off and boredom sets in.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I believe Hamilton Marine also carries Maine Sails Bed-It Tape.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
ralph, u crack me up! ("Touch up a few spider cracks every year before the novelty wears off and boredom sets in")
I'm gonna buy it and give it to the Admiral to do, she insists I build a small galley, she can do the spider cracks!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
give it to the Admiral to do
She'll love it. Grind out the cracks with a Dremel, fill 'em with with gel coat, sand 'em down, polish. Keep her happy for hours.

PS don't let her see this or it's curtains for both of us :yikes:.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've had a can of gel coat in the fridge going back about four years and it hasn't clotted yet. Keep it in a zip lock bag to ensure no vapours escape.
Good to know. :thumbup:

My record was four months, and I thought I was pushing it.

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
Good heavens! I just learned more about bedding than I even knew existed! Tape order is ongoing......

In my liveaboard days, I just assumed that EVERYONE had to rebed stuff every spring/summer......it was a constant exercise. Who knew?

I love this newfangled internet thingie!