Registered users don't see ads

Bumps on hull

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by DLB, Oct 8, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. DLB

DLB

Joined Aug 21, 2016
    20 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    US Lake St Clair St Clair Shores
    finding these bumps on hull of my 332. About the size of a pencil eraser, hard, and not fluid filled. They seem to be more this year than last but not getting bigger. 4E199BCD-8A98-4336-810F-9238CB12ABB9.jpeg
    Thoughts?

2. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,071 posts, 33 likes
    Oday 272LE
    US Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
    I am guessing blisters...

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,148 posts, 589 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Looks like ring worm... :yikes:
    Could it be from barnacles attached to the hull then washed off?

4. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    250 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Yes, I'm suspecting barnacle residue as well. If blisters, I suspect that they are cosmetic and not causing any delamination.

5. The Tanqueray

The Tanqueray

Joined Jul 15, 2014
    50 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 322
    BS Freeport, Bahamas
    I have not seen a 322 with osmotic blisters. It was one of the points that gave me confidence in the pre-leveraged buyout boats.

6. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,071 posts, 33 likes
    Oday 272LE
    US Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
    We had what looked the same on our 272 LE...we opened them, and yes, they were blisters....then we had the hull
    sandblasted then we opened each blister and filled them according to the epoxy instructions and we have never had another blister....that was maybe 5 years ago...I really believe the blisters were caused by the boat remaining in the water for 8-10 years (at least)....we used a bubbler system to keep the water from freezing in the winter; which it did.....but it of course, did not protect the boat from blisters......this could be a long story, but we no longer use our bubbler, but I am thinking about using it this coming winter ....long story short though....we have never had another blister...this was all about 4 - 5 years ago....keep in mind, we bought the bubbler maybe in late 1987 to avoid buying a trailer..the boat spent a lot of time in the water maybe 7-10 years straight, but we'll see what good ideas we have this fall...if reason prevails will probably take the boat out in a few weeks....we've never had another blister....so why press our luck..?...there is a heck of a story here, but I've bored you enough......Patrick

7. DLB

DLB

Joined Aug 21, 2016
    20 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    Thanks for the feedback so far.
    The boat has always been in fresh water during relatively short seasons. One owner kept her on Lake Ontario near Toronto, the second kept her on the northern shore of Lake Erie.
    Here is a better shot. Curious. As you can see many have "popped", but the ones that are still intact are hard and would require a dremel tool to open.
    The other question is why so much of the vc17 washed off when power washed.
    I plan to try opening them and filling, to see how they fare next season.
    IMG_4501.JPG

8. DLB

DLB

Joined Aug 21, 2016
    20 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    A final photo, close up of the bumps, again these are smaller than a pencil eraser. IMG_4503.JPG

9. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    250 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Looks like the same thing that I dealt with after I had the bottom stripped. All the ones I opened up just went through the gel coat and not into the laminate so I simply faired them out the best that I could then applied 5 coats of Interlux 2000e barrier coat to be sure.
    Port_Bow.jpg

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.