Bumper boats

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
At WYC our final Thursday series is held in Wayzata Bay. Less than 1/5th the size of the main body of the lake, it’s over 100 boats in less than a 3/4 a mile across bay. Downwind on port on the way to the mark, all the earlier start boats heading back upwind have rights on us. Pick our way through!

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Cool! I've never seen that many sail boats out on our lake.

Nov 8, 2010
Great video. Definitely a challenging sail.
Normally our downwind sailing is all about performance. With all the boats coming back up at the leeward marks, all of the discussion on board was about weaving our way through boats that had ROW over us. For awhile we were by the lee to climb over a boat. We thought we might want to throw the boom over to get a P/S over the line of Capri 25s coming up on port from the other leeward mark. (We run dual courses)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would be especially interested in reading more about that embedded instrument display. So cool. Looks like a great training tool.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
I think a LeMans start would spice it up some:)
Its pretty close to that. The picture below describes the madness of 'bumper boats'.

All fleets (6 starts, 15-20 boats each, 3 minute interval) share a common start line. Due to wind direction. the start yesterday was jammed up into the corner of the bay (green line). It made staying behind the line impossible until just before your start, when all starting boats dive in then work back up towards the start as to not barge. I've got a 360 video of the race, maybe I'll post that too.

Once started all fleets go to the right (orange) windward mark. Then half the (every other) starts reaches over to the left windward mark (yellow) and go W/L there for two laps then up to their left finish. The other half (including PHRF) stays on the right and goes W/L there and up to the right finish.

Oh, and you have to stay off the marked reef (in red)

Our leeward mark was complicated by boats on the left course rounding and heading upwind on port, crossing our course.

100+ boats. It usually goes without a hitch. No contact last night, but another Capri 25 lost a mast.

track.jpg

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
looks like your bowman has also gotten the rust knocked off. I replayed just to catch the spin sheet handoff.

Nov 8, 2010
The start and first lap in 360 video. Watch on a phone or tablet and spin around, look up and down. Not the same quality as a GoPro, but immersive.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Cool. I followed the blue hull boat as it passed you in the beginning. I'll have to watch the whole thing later.

Nov 8, 2010
Cool. I followed the blue hull boat as it passed you in the beginning. I'll have to watch the whole thing later.
The ensign in the pre-start. Everyone was early. and no one wanted to be left. The he rockets out while we luff to burn time. Not sure where Bob was going!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If anyone, anywhere gets over 100 boats on the race course in a mid-week regatta I would like to know where. We get 30, at one time 40, but 100 is impressive. That does seem like a crowd for a less than 3/4 mile upwind/downwind leg. But it is working. Seriously, is there anyone else doing this anywhere?

Nov 8, 2010
If anyone, anywhere gets over 100 boats on the race course in a mid-week regatta I would like to know where. We get 30, at one time 40, but 100 is impressive. That does seem like a crowd for a less than 3/4 mile upwind/downwind leg. But it is working. Seriously, is there anyone else doing this anywhere?
We race in the bay for the last month of the Thursday series. The main lake is much larger, but adds at least 30 minutes getting out. In the bay we can start the race 30 minutes earlier with the same dock times. And boats get back before dark.

But it does limit attendance; the races are down from their more typical 120-130 during the summers. This is due to some boats not feeling comfortable with what is a very crowded track.

Dave Perry was at the club that day for some j/70 training. He said he's always amazed with what happens there on Thursdays.

Nov 8, 2010
I would be especially interested in reading more about that embedded instrument display. So cool. Looks like a great training tool.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The speedo on the video is fun, but for real post-race analytics, we use RaceQs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Jackdaw,
Those two videos are great. I don't want to derail or hijack this thread with further discussion about the tools. Maybe you could start a new thread. I love to read more about them. I really like the embedded display over the action video because it shows instantaneous data to onboard actions. You know I'm not interested in racing, but that RaceQS ap looks amazing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
do you use race qs?
Yep. Its pretty awesome for post race analysis. I'm also beta-testing their Apple watch app, which is designed to help performance while sailing, with time-to-burn at starts and calling laylines. Fun stuff!