Bulkhead replacement on SABRE 28

Oct 10, 2017
J-Boats and Sabre J-30 and Sabre 28 Mark I Annapolis MD
Anyone have experience in replacing the bulkhead and the chain plates on Sabre 28? Any info would be helpful.

TeeDee

May 12, 2020
Sabre Sabre 28 Mk II Kittery
Hi Bill, I see this is an old post, but wondering if you ever got advice on replacing bulkheads. I'm looking to replace compression block in bilge and the job looks like it may involve taking out the bulkheads.

Mar 10, 2024
Sabre 28 Oyster Bay
If anyone has ideas about this topic, I would love to hear them. Specifically, I have a Sabre 28 and one of the chainplates came loose due to the bulkhead rotting from water leak. I am wondering if there is a way to attach a new chainplate to the current bulkhead, or if the whole thing needs to be redone. Most of the bulkhead seems intact, just rotten around where the chainplate was bolted in.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You wrote:
one of the chainplates came loose due to the bulkhead rotting from water leak. I am wondering if there is a way to attach a new chainplate to the current bulkhead, or if the whole thing needs to be redone. Most of the bulkhead seems intact, just rotten around where the chainplate was bolted in.

I tried to highlight the important parts of your statement.

Let’s start with the purpose of a chainplate. It connects the mast standing rigging to the hull so you can capture the forces of the wind and move that 7,400 lb displacement boat through the water. Therefore the chainplate is an important link that needs to be connected. A solid “no compromise” connection to the hull is required. The rotting bulkhead is a compromise.

It would be helpful if you posted some images of the problem. It is impossible to suggest a workaround without more detail.

Simply put you need to have a bulkhead that is as strong as the original to safely operate your boat.

Mar 10, 2024
Sabre 28 Oyster Bay
Thank you both for the input. See attached pictures. These show the hole where the chainplate was, and the opposite chainplate still attached (which also needs to be addressed, as the bulkhead there feels like it is deteriorating).

I guess it is pretty clear some major repairs need done. I am just hoping to get an idea of the approach people might take, and if there is anything about the structure of this specific boat that could come into play.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If anyone has ideas about this topic, I would love to hear them. Specifically, I have a Sabre 28 and one of the chainplates came loose due to the bulkhead rotting from water leak. I am wondering if there is a way to attach a new chainplate to the current bulkhead, or if the whole thing needs to be redone. Most of the bulkhead seems intact, just rotten around where the chainplate was bolted in.
That section the bulkhead is toast. It may not be necessary to replace the entire bulkhead, it may be possible to scarf in a new section of plywood. But replacing the whole bulkhead may be easier.

All the cabinetry on a Sabre can be disassembled with a screwdriver which will make the job easier.

The best place to get advice on fixing Sabres is on the Sabre Sailboat group. Over 1000 Sabre current, past and future Sabre owners with tons of experience.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Replacing a sheet of drywall requires more skill and experience than replacing a bulkhead. Think of it as simply replacing a piece of plywood.

Leave your chainplate attached to the deck while replacing the bulkhead. This way it will stay in the same place and you can use it as a template to drill holes. Once the drilling is done, rebed the chainplate with BedIT

Mar 10, 2024
Sabre 28 Oyster Bay
That is all helpful advice. Here are some more pictures of the bulkhead once I got the rotten section cut out. At the top I still need to go closer to the hull to get all the bad wood out. Any further thoughts on repair vs replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The bulkhead needs to be replaced. there is no safe way to patch or repair the panel. The chain plate will place a tremendous shear load on any repaired section and especially where the chain plate attaches. In order to support that load it will be necessary to do 12:1 scarfs on the plywood. That will be about the same amount of work and effort as just replacing the whole piece.

I'm pretty certain a few folks on the SabreSailboat group have done this repair. Asking there should get you some good first hand knowledge.