Bulkhead fit & hull twist

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I replaced the plywood bulkheads on my 87' C22 late last summer, but haven't had her back in water yet.

I'm happy with the job overall, but in retrospect, I should have been a little more aggressive with a rubber mallet in refitting the bulkheads before drilling and bolting them back in place. I have about a 1/8' gap between the outside of the bulkheads and the side of the hull. Looking at it now, I'm wondering if the lack of tight fit against the sides of the hull might lead to twisting or warping of the hull when the boat is under load on a reach.

Does anyone with more experience think this might be an issue? I can re-do the job if needed. The vertical fit of the bulkheads is solid and hard up against the underside of the deck, and the chainplates are solidly attached. Thanks for any advice.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
You are fine... That gap is present in all C'22's, that's why the vinyl bead trim is stapled to the outer edges. If you left those off, that's why you can see light around the bulkhead edges and it might be bothering you. It's easy to make new ones with some small diameter rope (paracord is good) and vinyl material from a fabric store or even Sunbrella.
My bulkheads needed refinishing but I did not replace them. All the staples in the trim were rusted so I replaced them with monel staples (hard to find, and $20 a box, lol). I believe the 'factory' gap on my bulkheads was probably more than 1/8", so if you got a fit within 1/8" I think you did an excellent pattern/cut.
When you step the mast it will slightly flex the cabin roof onto the compression post. You shouldn't visibly notice any change. If you ever removed the compression post you'd have had to use a jack to flex the roof up 1/4 inch to slide the post out and that's how it should work. The strength of your hull (in terms of oil canning) does not come from those measly bulkheads, it comes from the cabin liner that is bonded into the outer hull.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thanks CloudDiver! That's a great idea with the rope. I was thinking along those lines too, but I just might go the easier route and use 3 strand by itself and chalk it up to a nautical look. The project list is still a good way from the bottom.. Thanks for the tip about the monel staples as well.

I have various interests I stop into forums for, and I have to say this C22 forum has the best group of people I've ever come across. The only problem is, I wind up procrastinating here instead of getting office work done. Gotta get the work done to keep it from cutting into the sailing time. Thanks to everyone who contributes-

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Sailing work has to out vote the work time, but you need the job to support the boat so its a balancing act! When you retire the hours are great for the boat but the pay sucks.