Bug Netting on pop top

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I was wondering if anyone has used bug netting over the pop top and down the compaionway? I do not have a pop top surround and was thinking bug netting might work...?

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I have. I purchased a mosquito screen made to be hung from a tree or over a pop up shelter similar to this one: https://www.rei.com/product/729007/mombasa-outback-travel-net-double

Don’t remember the brand. On my 26D i could run it from the mast over the pop top, over the Bimini. This worked well as I could move around the boat without having to move the screen.

When I ran it from the mast over the pop top and then down the companionway it was a real pain. I didn’t realize how many times you go in and out.

Feb 23, 2019
Beneteau 393 Door County-Sturgeon Bay
This works great for hatches- has weights in the hem. I also have the same for my companionway.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My first oat had a pop top and I did as William does; bought a mosquito "bar" and draped it over the top and companionway. Worked well with the albatross class mosquitoes that we have here in the marshes.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
If mosquitoes are the problem, buy a Coleman Thermacell. It will change your life.
My experience was not so good. I was using one in Mississippi when I watched the mosquito fly through the fog.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We cut and sewed some mosquito netting to fit around the edges of our dodger and Bimini. I attach it at the top using powerful small refrigerator-magnets on each side of the fabric, and we added drapery weights to the bottom perimeter seams. It is very effective, and we also use it underway on the rare occasions when we’re attacked by biting flies (seems to happen about 2 or 3 times a year in southern New England, I think it’s associated with hatching events on the water).

PS - after research the cheapest netting was found on Amazon sold as garage door mosquito screens (for people to use their garage as an indoor/outdoor space).

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Rob and Cindy, were did u purchase the hatch screen? Or did u make it?

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Gene, if u swear by the coleman thermacell we will give it a go. They are super cheap and if it works that would be awesome....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I very much do swear by it.

You do have to load a fresh "mat" every three hours, and a butane cartridge every eight. So if you light it and fall asleep, you may waste up to five hours worth of butane.

Other than that, I can't recommend it highly enough. We have the basic $20 one.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am a fan of Thermacell also. Started using them a few years ago.. They are one of the few things that actually work down in the marshes.. I buy the big refill packs from Thermacell directly .. Ya have to be mindful of the wind direction and wind eddy areas, but when we are at anchor or in the marina, there is usually one lit and working in the cockpit by the companionway.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Does the Thermacell know the difference between Mosquito and No-See Um's ( Flying Teeth )