Brown Wood Substitute

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Does anyone have links and product names for the wood-colored substitute he/she is using for hand rails, sliding hatch rails, and other trim? Is it PVC? I find white PVC at Lowes, but no brown. I do not dind King Starboard (hdpe) in dark brown, so I think it is PVC.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I used PlasTeak which is recycled polyethylene with a uniform light brown color. Looks pretty good from 20 feet away but up close you can tell its definitely not real wood. Also can't be glued so that might limit what you can do with it. It was cheaper than PVC decking though

Jan 6, 2010
AG,
There are several PVC materials/brands you can use. CJ used Plas Teak & I used what was called Sensibuilt.
The company is called Fiberon now. I did my deck using their decking boards & fascia boards.
Between the two, I was able to make all deck wood sans the handrails. Here is their link & some pics so you can get an idea.

https://www.fiberondecking.com/products/decking

CR

100_0238.JPG
100_0242.JPG
100_0120.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have known folks to use Azek decking. I believe it is a PVC based material. You have to go to a lumberyard, and they will probably have samples for you to look at. If I remember correctly, Rosewood and Cypress were two colors that might work. I have found white Azek trim in the big blue and orange box stores, but never the colored decking material. I have heard of people using Trex. I believe Trex is wood fibers encapsulated in polyethylene, and based on what I saw on a few TV shows, it's often recycled plastic grocery bags. Personally, if I wanted to replace wood on a boat, the LAST thing I would use would be any kind of wood fibers, encapsulated or not.