Brominating Tablets

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter 2000 Hunter 460 North Beach
We found a bottle of Brominating Tablets on our boat. We are wondering if we can use these in our water holding tanks instead of bleach &/or to treat hard water. If this is an option how much do we put in the tanks? If not any recommendations?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you "found" them on your boat, and "YOU" did not personally buy them, I wouldn't even begin to consider putting them in my water system.

Holding tanks refer to WASTE. Water tanks are simply water tanks.

To learn how to use and properly treat your onboard water and waste systems, the very best thing you can do is buy Peggie Hall's book, available on this 'site: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Brominating Tablets on our boat
I put some on our boat!;)

We use them for killing algae/slime in our seawater cooling lines for the Refrigerator and Air Conditioner. I drop 2 - ≈1" tablet is the water stainer basket each time we clean the stainer.

I would bet they are for a Swimming pool or Spa use and...
NOT
for drinking water.
_______
The problem is not that Bromine won't kill toxic stuff in the water, but the dosage is not controlled.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
treating hard water
Not a drop in tab.
You can to install a land lubber RO unit, I have considered, pretty cheaply and put it dock side. It is very slow but fills it. You might even install a flow shut off valve and return next day.

Brita filter dont have capacity needed.

Hauling it from a house hold water softener is for the young.;)
Jim...