Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon,
Per the PM, no email, but have:

713-805-1717

Good luck,
Charlie

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I know the store site will sell you a new one but it will be for your boat as the mfg I believe still has that mold. Knowing that this is a centerboard, the freight is not as high due to the weights.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Sorry I talked with him yesterday, no center board, but he does have some deck hardware and some interior stuff.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
If it were me, I'd swallow the bitter pill and get the new keel...it will be good forever and you'll be back out on the water sooner rather than later.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
...It WAS me, I DID bite the bullet, and I was GLAD I did go with the new...fewer worries about whether the repair holds. To me it was a no-brainer. And good thing too. Lord knows, at my age, I've lost quite a few brain cells over the years!

Charlie

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks SeaTR. I cannot see trying to fix that centerboard.

The house in the VA mountains will be finished soon and of course you will be invited. We have 340 degree view of the mountains and over look the beginning of the James River. I am over the hill from VMI where I gadiated from. Hope all is well with you and feel free anytime to contact me.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
BTW Chasemixon, I paid less than 2000.00 for my salvage '81 H22, trailer and 6Hp engine...I did not think that the new centerboard's expense was too much for peace of mind, and I knew this was a project boat with a slow and potentially costly restoration.

Crazy Dave,
Thanks for the offfer, I'm not in VA all that often, but am familiar with the LOWER James River....closer to the US Navy's mothball fleet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
SeaTR;

My father was second in command of Ft. Eustis, CO of Felker airfield and the Transportation School. He use to test fly new aircraft and that included the helicopter that could land on water. He took me a time or two as a kid and our favorite place was to land around the mothball fleet as you recall or the dead fleet as the locals would say.

I recall at elementary school following a presentation of that, the Principal reprimanded me for telling such a story. Next day, dad flew that chopper to the school, marched in and demanded he and I to fly right then and to the dead fleet. The principal never doubted me again.

Sounds like we have a lot in common. Maybe one day when you know me better, then we can meet. In the meantime, feel free to contact me anytime direct.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
You betcha Dave.

Not to hijack this thread too much... My experiences are limited to the Navy not Army Air Corps, but nonetheless, thanks for the offer to trade, as we say in the Navy, "sea stories" sometime.

Charlie

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Hijack away, I love listening to people's stories, Dave called me a couple of days ago, and he kept me laughing for 30 minutes straight! #CRS. :)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
SeaTR;

Following VMI, I trained to become a naval pilot but with Viet Nam over, well we reserve officers were caught in the RIFT. However, I did barn storming with dad when he air raced. I think maybe I lost brain cells when turning around the pylons which is why I might be CRAZY.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
well, after much thought and deliberation I decided to just buy the centerboard, I was really excited about learning how to glass something but the guy that was going to teach me said, you are going to have 5 - 6 hundred in just material so it really doesn't make sense. just buy the part and save yourself the time. Thanks everyone for all your comments. We removed the old one yesterday, it was pretty easy took only about an hour from start to finish. One question I did have was how come the centerboard would not come out all the way? the line in the cabin had plenty of slack but the line attached to the centerboard below would not come all the way down to the ground? are they two different lines?

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
From what I remember you need to disconnect the line attached to the keel, otherwise the keel is still attached. I would also suggest that you have a local metal shop fabricate a bronze bushing, and a matching ss pin. Send the bushing to whoever is fabricating the keel (I assume it's Foss). The OEM bushing is delrin, or some plastic, and will wear out in 5-10 years depending on use, but the bronze one will last forever.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
I did disconnect it, but just couldn't get under the boat enough to see if it was two different lines or if it was the same one, thanks for the tip about the bronze bushing!

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon,
Yes, sounds like BUYING is the way to go for you. It definitely was for me!

WRT keel removal and repairs....See posts #20, 59, 97 (maybe some others too...) on my previous thread in this forum at:
Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions(
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

...for details of swing keel bushing (I used tubular nylon stock, and drilled for the 1/2" SS shaft) and the up/down haul line connection to the swing keel. (yes, there is only one line).

Charlie

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Thanks Charlie, I see what you mean, I was thinking the line that is used in the cabin went all the way to the centerboard, it actually attaches to the steal cable, and that attaches to a line that attaches to the centerboard. Thanks so much for the post numbers, that helped a lot... That has to be one of the longest on here... :) Lots of good info though!

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon,
Glad to help ! Yes, there were a lot of responses / discussions on that thread. There are quite a few '80s H22 owners out there, with a lot of experience to share.