Broken Keel

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
So as the title shows, I now have a broken keel on my 85' Hunter 22. :confused: other than purchasing a new one from the store for the low low cost of 920.00 any other suggestions? or is that a good price? considering I only paid 2000.00 for the boat and trailer, Ouch! Thanks in advance! if anyone has anyone local to southeast AL, southwest GA, or the panhandle FL. that would be extra nice!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Is that a swing keel? If so, the price sounds too good to be true. I am not sure what is shipping but not cheap.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
AS I get older and more squirrely or should I say crazier, I cannot remember much. I am afflicted with CRS which you catch the gist. Just be careful when putting it on as your life is more important sir than a boat.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Thanks Dave, I have found a friend down here who has rebuilt a boat from Katrina, he says he will help me...

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Would any of my 80 series H22 swing keel be able to give me some measurements from their Keel so I can fabricate mine? I have a friend that says he can help me rebuild it? Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
generally a keel is made of cast iron. Since I was not affiliated with that older style 22, I cannot really comment unless you want to supply a photo of it. It is very hard to repair cast iron. Since I am not sure of the materials needed, the cost to build a mold and have someone pour a cast iron keel is enourmous. Again, I am not familiar with that boat and I am not sure of the construction of that keel. If it is only a centerboard with the ballast in the hull, be careful not to make it all fiberglass as the weight alone will be substantial to raising it.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
it was a foam centerboard. but I was thinking about taking some marine grade plywood and then cover in glass, hoping to make it a little more heavy duty?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Chasemixon, I repaired AND then replaced my 1981 Hunter 22 swing keel a few years back. See my previous thread at:
Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions(
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Hopefully, your questions will be answered, or at least touched upon there. If not, post on the thread above (just to keep all related conversations in ONE place), and we'll get everyone involved again to tackle your particular needs.

Exa: See post #15 in above thread from:
rockp2
Hunter 22
Auburn, PA (driveway)

bitte,
Charlie

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Considering all the storms that have occurred in the SE, I would think you could pick up a used one down there.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Steve, apparently everyone that had storms was either smart enough to fix them or smart enough to get the 22's out of the water :)

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
is that a cast iron or simply fiberglass SeaTR/
Fiberglass/foam and weighted for proper balance...gravity and friction when full down, the uphaul line retracts (full up). It weighs in at ~80-100 lbs dry, and is very manageable in the water. I replaced mine dockside a few years back with the aid of two divers.

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
I dont know if the scrap boat we discussed earlier had one or not. The rudder was gone. Charlie got the lid for his cooler off that boat.. I think others may have profited as well. Charlie, do you have the contact info closeby.. I can find it but it's not in front of me.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Rich, yes I HAVE installed that cockpit cooler lid (just another step in the restoration of my salvage H22), and I DO have his contact info...

Bill Spencer
278 Shoreline Rd
Mooresville, NC 28117

Charlie

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Crazy Dave,
Ya, these early 80s H22s have ~1300 lbs of lead epoxied in the bilge on either side of the swing keel housing. I like this method, in that it is easier for me to do maintenance on the swing keel while on trailer. I jack up the boat 32" from the trailer and 'have at it'...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When I refer to a keel, I consider it to be a weighted board as it is the ballast. When the ballast is in the boat, I consider then that the board is simply a center board just like the water ballast boats and refer to that board as a swing center board which in a sense is only acting as a fin to keep the boat on course.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Sorry Dave, my nautical terms are lacking greatly... :) usually I call things thingy-do... and whatchamacallits...

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
Chasemixon, you might want to check with Bill, SeaTR posted info.. he had a scrap H22 that he might have saved the CB off of. He also might have the thingamabobs and whatchamacallits and such to attach it. (c: I wish I could find Bill's email adr but so far the search has been a bust..