broken exhaust elbow

May 1, 2016
Catalina 30 Lake Champlain
Hello,
This week end my exhaust elbow broke will I'm using my engine.View media item 26161
I stop the engine quickly when I smell smoke and see water going out of the exhaust flange. The elbow cut on the thread. Repair parts looks easy...cut the 3 inches welded parts, weld a new one and make new thread......
But do I have to check something on my engine before starting it again, I don't want that the water goes on a wrong place...

Thank's

Stéphane

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it a casting or a wrought steel elbow? I'm not sure you "weld" as casting? I suspect that you might have to just replace it with a standard "fitting".

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Things like this I would just buy the part. It failed for a reason..... salt water and exhaust are hell. Redo new.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I still have my old OEM elbow from my 2GM20. Long story short; I replaced it with a stainless steel one but probably didn't need to. You are welcome to it for the cost to ship it. I can send pics.
rant: I have pics on Photobucket but they no longer allow sharing.

May 1, 2016
Catalina 30 Lake Champlain
All the part is in stainless except the thread who are made in iron.....the weldder will cut the rusty part and weld a new one...

Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
Turn the engine by hand several turns.You may have to use a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut in order to turn engine by hand.
If the engine will not turn,or if it stops turning,you may have gotten water in a cylinder from the broken exhaust elbow.
You must get this water out before trying to start engine,or you could do major damage. If your engine has a manual decompressor lever,open it & the water will be pushed out the exhaust safely.
Once you are able to turn engine several revolutions by hand,you may now start the engine & run it for 10-15 minutes.
Then,check the base oil colour. If it is grey & milky(from water) ,change the oil & filter.
Repeat until oil is normal colour.
Len

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Why do you believe she has had water hydrolock her engine?

If it is the elbow that is crack and is leaking, then she has some water in the engine compartment, had some engine exhaust gases which along with noise were ejected.

Did the engine "STOP" or did you stop the engine the moment you noticed the water, noise, or smell?

I wouldn't think you could (or should) be able to turn the engine without doing that with a normal wrench and the purchase that she has available.

I woudln't be assuming that for the moment. If that is the case, then DON"T mess with the engine and get a mechanic in there. Unless there is something else that she hasn't discussed, I think you replace the elbow and proceed to use the engine.

P.S. - Stephane lists here address as the Canadian side of Lake Champlain? Is that saltwater?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cat 30 could have an gasoline Atomic 4 or a diesel Universal? Probably not a Yanmar.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Stephane: Does your boat have a raw water heat exchanger? Is it it a Diesel or Atomic IV (Gasoline)?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Perhaps you could flip on the 2 decompression lever and crank the engine several turns to expel and water in the cylinders.

Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
Hello,
This week end my exhaust elbow broke will I'm using my engine.View media item 26161
I stop the engine quickly when I smell smoke and see water going out of the exhaust flange. The elbow cut on the thread. Repair parts looks easy...cut the 3 inches welded parts, weld a new one and make new thread......
But do I have to check something on my engine before starting it again, I don't want that the water goes on a wrong place...

Thank's

Stéphane

Stephane said "I don't want water.....wrong place". "do I have to check....".
IMHO,it is good safe practice to check for waterlock before electrically cranking any engine that may have gotten water into cylinder(s) from a broken exhaust.
It doesn't matter the type of engine-gas or diesel-raw or fresh cooled-both can get water via exhaust.
Cheers/ Len

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This thread is a good example of vicarious engine hypochondria. Stephane said "I stop the engine quickly when I smell smoke and see water going out of the exhaust flange." So, the engine was running and he stopped it. Presumably, the raw water pump stopped at that moment, too.

Why would anyone assume that water has gotten into the engine??? The elbow keeps the water in, a cracked one lets it out! And, with a cracked elbow, there's zero chance of siphoning, if that was ever a possibility (which it is not).

Replace elbow. Start engine. Done.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had the elbo break apart while running and yes smoke water coming out but thats normal water coming out exhaust.
But my threaded part rusted and replaced with satainless double thread and new elbo no welding should be done that will just rust more and not last long.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
20140522_121426.jpg
I had one break to but thanks to local pluming store was able to put together a new temp one to finish my trip. Please don't hold this against me...lol It did work great though! The engines heat exchangers output went to the top of the unit top pipe, the pipe ran inside pipe just below exhaust inlet from Yanmar 2GMF. This makes sure that water will not go back into exhaust.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
View attachment 141473 I had one break to but thanks to local pluming store was able to put together a new temp one to finish my trip. Please don't hold this against me...lol It did work great though! The engines heat exchangers output went to the top of the unit top pipe, the pipe ran inside pipe just below exhaust inlet from Yanmar 2GMF. This makes sure that water will not go back into exhaust.
Great "get me home" fix! Keep as spare parts after you fit stock assembly. :)