Bowsprit for 1990 C27

Sep 27, 2009
Catalina 27 Port Whitby
I recently purchased an asym. for my 1990 C27. I'm interested in purchasing a Selden bowsprit to provide me some clearance on my standard rig, but need information in terms of best placement of the bowsprit onto the bow of my boat.

If anyone has pics of their setups (for a similar boat) which they can share, I will be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Lewczuk
(Fundy Tide)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yep.
This is on a 270, the process is probably very similar. If you have a look on the blog listed below, you'll find an entry names "sprit city" that has a bit of detail as to the construction of the sprit and some of the issues. The mount for this pole is a Selden unit, but the pole was crafted at home, is aluminum, and powder coated.
Unless you plan on leaving it out, you should give some consideration to where the pole will live below. It has to be stored someplace, and one of the major considerations in the size of mine was where to store it. It lives in the front berth, and that area did dictate the overall length. The whole piece is 1" shy of the available space.
Cheers
Gary

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'm working on a top-down furler at this moment, based on a 400 series Ronstan continuous line drum, with a crafted free rotating tack, and block for up and downhaul.
This part is almost done, however, what's probably going to happen is a slightly enhanced Spinnaker Crane at the masthead, with an extra sheave in it to move the halyard forward 6" or so. That way it clears the existing forestay, and will allow some kind (as yet not considered) anti-torsion device to stop the halyard from getting all bunged up.
The anti-torsion cables out there are hellishly expensive, Marlow has a line out now, that can be had by the foot, but it's something like 8-9 bucks USd a foot. Better measure very carefully!
Here's a couple of shots of the Furler drum and the inner sleeve and bottom bearing race.
The rest won't be seen until the polishing is done.
Cheers
Gary

Attachments