Bow thrusters - how important are they, and at what length are they a must?

Paula

Dec 18, 2015
oday 272 chesapeake bay
Looking at the larger hunters 36 to 43, some have bow thrusters and some don't. I see some install post purchase, and how hard is that? Cost post purchase if its a DIY as I see some have done.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This is largely a matter of opinion more than actual need. Although it can sometimes help docking in adverse conditions, i've yet to experience anything where a bit of good boat handling couldn't and didn't suffice.
It's good to keep in mind the converse isn't true. That is, a thruster can't compensate for poor boat handling skills.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I think thruster is a must. After I installed in my 41DS made a huge difference in docking. I wish I possessed the skill not to need one, but I don't. Install was a difficult job requiring skill and know how. Cutting the holes in the hull are the easy part!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I really like the thruster on the 41. I wish it had more power but it does make docking a snap. There's a lot less three cushion math going on in your head.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I've handled numerous small boats that were very light (aluminum), and then a bunch in between up to 500 foot warships. When the wind is howling and you are trying tight maneuvers at slow speeds that wind (plus current) can push the bow all over the place. With large heavy vessels you have to consider bare-steerage way, so we don't even attempt docking without the aide of tugs, but I've dropped the hook over a dozen times in strong currents and 20 plus knots of wind without tugs. A bow thruster comes in very handy when conditions are such, in calm waters with no wind I probably wouldn't touch the stick. The Navy could probably save millions a year on port costs (tugs) if they installed bow thrusters on warships, but the tug captains have a powerful union and a bow thruster on a Navy vessel is just another thing to break...
That said, I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting a bow thruster even on a boat as small as 30 ft. Where windy conditions are more common during docking, the greater the justification to get one.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Since we have some experts here ... what are the downsides other than cost? I would think that having a couple of six-inch holes right at the bow would cause all sorts of bad hydrodynamics. I'm not a racer, but I don't like to waste wind power on creating bubbles. Are there other issues like water tight fittings and maintenance on the modern bow thruster?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Since we have some experts here ... what are the downsides other than cost? I would think that having a couple of six-inch holes right at the bow would cause all sorts of bad hydrodynamics. I'm not a racer, but I don't like to waste wind power on creating bubbles. Are there other issues like water tight fittings and maintenance on the modern bow thruster?
The hydrodynamics isn't that much of a show-stopper unless you are a racer. What is problematic is a skipper who is dependent on a thruster.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I have a bow thruster and wouldn't remove it for any money. I plan every maneuver as though I did not have a bow thruster and use it only if absolutely necessary. Puget Sound has strong currents which can play havoc with any docking or undocking. Also, entering or departing locks, minor adjustments timely made with the bow thruster prevent white knuckle situations. Strong currents in the locks combined with various experience levels of dozens of other boats...yes I am thankful for the thruster. I don't need an electric windlass either as I could crank the anchor up by hand but the windlass makes weighing anchor an easy decision, especially in an emergency. I also use electronic navigation with paper backup, diesel fuel instead of gasoline, dacron sails instead of canvas, rope halyards instead of wire. The point is why not avail yourself of an advantage if it increases safety and convenience.

Jun 15, 2012
I bet there are more instances of an engine failing causing a "heart stopping failure" then a bow thruster. It is far easier to control a boat without a thruster, then it would be without an engine.
I also always test my thruster long before docking, just like fighter pilots test there guns before going into combat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I didn't have one on my 356. A few times I could have used one. The bow of the Hunters is generally high in freeboard, light in weight, and with a shallow flatfish bottom, which makes them subject to blow around. I haven't driven one of the bigger ones but they are probably that much worse. So I would say yes - it would be a desirable option as the length approaches 40'.
In general if I'm at a dock and I hear the dreaded roar of a bow thruster, I go into alarm mode.
As for installation, I've watched at a shipyard where I was staying and it didn't seem that complicated. But they are pro's and they should make it look easy. I would never attempt this as a DIY. It's a pretty big hole in the hull.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I bet there are more instances of an engine failing causing a "heart stopping failure" then a bow thruster. It is far easier to control a boat without a thruster, then it would be without an engine.
I also always test my thruster long before docking, just like fighter pilots test there guns before going into combat.
Good point, you do know how to get your boat to dock, or moor without an engine, right? My first 3 sailboats had no engine.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Quote: Good point, you do know how to get your boat to dock, or moor without an engine, right? My first 3 sailboats had no engine."
Now that would be a real task considering I have to call (3) draw bridges in a narrow river. But Gunni, I will crew for you while you attempt that feat!

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I also always test my thruster long before docking, just like fighter pilots test there guns before going
This will hurt:.......... So how do explain all the power boats that make it back to port every day? Are you suggesting that sail boaters do not do adequate maintenance to their engines because they have sails? Your comment confounds me. If my engine needed maintenance I would never leave port. I choose not to be part of the "dirty, cheap" sail boater community. Sail or power, we all need to "sail" with vessels that are not a danger to others.

PS I am a pilot and aircraft owner, before we leave the ground we make sure that we have an airworthy craft.........not after we have taken off. Fly safe, sail safe!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
This will hurt:.......... So how do explain all the power boats that make it back to port every day?
Seatow?

Seriously though, Power boaters have a much easier docking task since typically they have steerable propulsion or multiple motors.

And even well maintained engines (marine and aviation) can and do fail at Murphy's bidding.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
With 4000 fixed and rotary wing flight hours (naval aviator) I had four forced open ocean ditchings (two day two night) in an aircraft that I thought was airworthy when I took off. Dual engine helos by the way. No pilot in his right mind would take off if he thought the aircraft was not airworthy.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
To get back on topic.....Our 2013 C-385 has a bow thruster. Never had to use it, even in a very tight marina....yet. Maybe used it a couple of times showing off. :)
Some boats come into our marina and I swear they are using the thruster as a sole method to steer the boat.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Are you suggesting that sail boaters do not do adequate maintenance to their engines because they have sails?
I think maybe he is, and to the greater extent I would agree... (this statement doesnt apply to seasonal, temporary or private docks, but to permanent public docks with long term moorage options)..
one only has to walk the docks to see that the largest number of boat owners dont care about the boat AT ALL... but they only seem to care about the bragging rights and ownership of it....
it doesnt matter if its a powerboat or a sailboat, on a lake or a bay, there are more boats in a very sad state of dis-repair than there are in good seaworthy condition.... I cant imagine an owner who has no time to take care of the rest of the boat is going to keep his engine in any better condition...

unless one is harboring some guilt feelings somewhere, by default, they CAN NOT take offense at this very true statement, because either they arent in this group of owners, or they are and they just dont care;).....

I agree strongly with the first two replies in this thread.... a bow thruster is not necessary.... AND knowing and being able to admit your limitations/knowledge.
a bow thruster is only a convenience that some people like to have to offer some assistance and save some worry while docking in bad conditions, but it will NOT take the place of experience or common sense...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
We have a Hunter 38 with no thruster. I've thought at times that having one might be convenient, especially in tight marinas, but have no thoughts of installing one. Yes - the bow gets caught by the wind and moves quite quickly but that becomes part of planning the approach or departure. Over our 11 years of ownership, I've become very comfortable with my abilities to move the boat around in tight situations and now approach them with a much calmer mindset. I wasn't very calm in the beginning but it sure got me analyzing how our boat moved with the elements in a marina, and I think I'm a better skipper because of it.

Jun 15, 2012
This will hurt:.......... So how do explain all the power boats that make it back to port every day? Are you suggesting that sail boaters do not do adequate maintenance to their engines because they have sails? Your comment confounds me. If my engine needed maintenance I would never leave port. I choose not to be part of the "dirty, cheap" sail boater community. Sail or power, we all need to "sail" with vessels that are not a danger to others.

PS I am a pilot and aircraft owner, before we leave the ground we make sure that we have an airworthy craft.........not after we have taken off. Fly safe, sail safe!
ice breaker, I am not sure I understand your comments. My remarks have nothing to do with maintenance, but ONLY what was said in a previous post about "hair raising experience" when a bow thruster fails. What exactly do you mean by not being part of the "dirty, cheap" sail boater community?