Bow Thruster Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Gunni
Your suggestion for the rub rail is looking like the best option was leaning that way anyways
Where did you get yours?

Admiral's knees are getting bad so we will be doing a role reversal and she doesn't want to be the first to damage the goods
As always this is the best place to get educated advice

Thanks
Gary
I looked at both the beneteau rub rail, and an alternative from starboard. Both were made up of spliced shorter sections, were white (and unpaintable) and didn't meet my standard. In the end I had a skilled boat tradesman custom build mine, for only slightly more than the factory parts.

I selected what is commonly called a "spray rail" it stands proud of the hull 2" and is mounted about 2 inches below the sheer. Made of solid PVC extrusion it was black, and seamless (full 42 feet) and my guy awlgripped it to match the flag-blue hull. He then applied the SS strike. A real craftsman. Had a hard time finding old-school, solid-back SS strike but Marine Industries up in Michigan had it and shipped it in.

This is the spray rail / rub rail:
http://www.barbourcorp.com/marine-products/R1059.htm

SS rub strike:
http://www.marineind.net/straight.htm

Attached a pic, as you can see, a 2" rail looks great on a boat like this. Note he even forged the ends to wrap the rail in. Good luck Gary, every fine boat deserves a rub rail !

Attachments

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I'd go for the rub rail and the bow thruster if the cost makes sense to you.

And having a bow thruster doesn't mark you a wimp - especially in a 42 foot boat with a not young couple crew. I've docked my boat using prop walk and wind/tide for 30 years but the bow thruster makes things a lot more convenient. I use it more than I expected (about 1 out of 3 dockings/undockings)

A boatbuilder once gave me a great tip about teaching a new helmsman how to dock. Bump the dock :D Even if you get some fender scuff or a small scratch it proves that the world won't end when the inevitable happens.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
GUNNI
Thanks for the pics,love the paint on your boat

Saved the site for your rail looks like it is the one for me

Gary

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I'd go for the rub rail and the bow thruster if the cost makes sense to you.

And having a bow thruster doesn't mark you a wimp - especially in a 42 foot boat with a not young couple crew. I've docked my boat using prop walk and wind/tide for 30 years but the bow thruster makes things a lot more convenient. I use it more than I expected (about 1 out of 3 dockings/undockings)

A boatbuilder once gave me a great tip about teaching a new helmsman how to dock. Bump the dock :D Even if you get some fender scuff or a small scratch it proves that the world won't end when the inevitable happens.
Karl, I am glad you said that because I would have one in a minute it I could. I put some of these comments in the same category as when roller furled jibs where introduced. The "die-hards" called us wimps and said that a real sailboat had hank on sails and not toilet paper rolls. Look around the marina now and all you see is roller furled foresails and now the mainsails are all going that way too. I think they call it "progress" and in this case convenience. Especially since many of us are getting "up there" in age. I watched the boats at the boat show with these thrusters and I just get envious. Those other guys can keep their "prop walk" I will take mine with some battery assist! :D Especially since the walk only moves the stern and not the bow!

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Rub Rail

Gunni

Phoned over to the rub rail folks you suggested looks like good stuff.

Must be good stuff @$7/foot

Also phoned the strike folks $5/foot
1,000+shipping

Gonna buy it but after the holidays

Thanks again
Gary

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Seriously? On a Beneteau First? Sell it and get an IP or similar. The bow isn't shaped for it, and it ruins the resale. Like putting mudflaps on a Porsche.
I suspect you'd need a recessed retractable flush mount thruster for a First series. As Gunni said the bow section on a First is not likely deep enough to add a tunnel thruster. These flush mount units run into some serious $$$$$...

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I suspect you'd need a recessed retractable flush mount thruster for a First series. As Gunni said the bow section on a First is not likely deep enough to add a tunnel thruster. These flush mount units run into some serious $$$$$...

:wow: Love this set up! Wouldn't it be nice. What is this one on?

Status
Not open for further replies.