Bow Pulpit nuts accessibility. Oday 23

Aug 9, 2011
oday 23 Toms River
Are the nuts on the forward bolts of the bow pulpit of an Oday 23 accessible from underneath or is an access hole from the anchor locker necessary?( considering a rebedding of hardware -- cover is on--can't look at it -- thinking through the process). Thanks. Roger

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
On the 3 O'days I have worked on, the nuts were all accessible from the v berth. You will probably have to pull back the liner. For the most forward nuts, you may need a long extension, as the anchor locker may inhibit movement around the nuts.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
On my O'Day 19, I had to make an access port to get to the pulpit bolts. You can use a large inspection port (8 inch or so) or cut a large opening but leave a 2-inch lip to attache a new wooden cover like I did. (Actually, I have not put the wooden cover on yet. I like easy access to all things!)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm doing this job sometime this week. I reached up under the anchor locker and could feel all of the nuts. I just wished my arms were about 2' longer. I may change the anchor locker drain hose while I'm in there and irritated. Lee likes her part of the job since we will pull the boat up to the head of the slip and she can stand on the dock to hold the screws and she won't be able to here me crying.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
You will be able to access them all without cutting anything. Do you know any small kids that can handle tools? I removed the board at the head of the vbirth and my son climbed in there head first and tightened up all the bolts as I worked on top. I will tell you he came out and threw up afterwards, he got sea sick. Joke was it was on the trailer in the yard, but we got the job done. Find a kid, shoot him some money and a pizza and you will not regret it.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
+1 on the small kid thing...I plan on doing this to my 23 this spring and have already enlisted the help of my friend's fifteen year old... I think the nuts are accessible as others have said but you may need deep sockets and extensions... Also thinking about backing plates but that may depend on whether core is rotten and needs attention... Would love if you would take measurements of the different layers while bolts are out or if anyone who said they've done the job before on an oday 23-2 could report what they found

Aug 3, 2012
Remember to properly pot those holes with epoxy after you remove the bolts. Then, use butyl rubber to rebed the pulpit bolts!
I used a long extension with long sockets. It worked fine. You will need someone above to hold the screwdriver.

Aug 9, 2011
oday 23 Toms River
While doing the rebedding of bow pulpit and stanchions , key tools were rotary saw to cut back the liner, long extension to get to the forward nuts of the pulpit , a universal fitting to deal with the weird angles, deep sockets , vise grips to hold the bolt heads if no helpers are around and a small flashlight taped to the anchor locker drain hose for light. In my case one nut was imbedded in the liner so a socket wouldn't bite and an open wrench was needed ( 7/16 ) , a 5/8 counter sink bit for camper of the deck holes.

Aug 3, 2012
I wonder if you have water infiltration into the core around those bolts?