bow eyes

kenpa

Mar 25, 2018
catalina 22 Maraine state park
I just moved up from a 22 cat to a 1984 cat 25 and need to install a bow eye . The boat had miner bow damage that was repaired but bow eye not installed. In checking find only one hole for the bow eye which is 11.5 inches below bow tip and comes into the anchor well. Cat direct states some older 25s only had one bolt eyes. Question is I want to use a 2 bolt eye and can drill new hole in the anchor well will that be strong enough if I use the direct bow eye kit?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It should be strong enough if proper use is given. A sailboat is not winched on the trailer but guided and floated on to the bunks. The bow eye can be used to attach a safety line when trailering with the bow resting on the bow stop. Many boats come from factory with no backing plates or nuts in the bow eye

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If your C25 is anything like my C22, the one hole you have is probably just a drain for the anchor locker. You wouldn't want bow eye bolts coming through into the locker. There's an air space between the bow and the locker, so the bolts would be very hard to seal, and the locker itself is too flimsy to provide backing.

Your boat could be entirely different. But on mine, you have to cut open the anchor locker to access where the eye bolts go. A little gift from Frank Butler.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
bow eyes really do not help, you just need to watch where you are going and not hit anything, LOL

CGJohn

Nov 14, 2016
Catalina 25 Sarasota
Gene is right on the money, the anchor locker has a drain hole that goes straight out the V. If you are still needing info, I can look at my '87 Cat 25 and let you know how my trailer eye bolt is installed.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My daughter has an 81 cat 25 with a bow eye that is a u bolt. It has a wedge shaped teak backing plate. No problem to put it below the anchor locker.