Bow eye installation

Nov 27, 2017
Erikson Erickson 25 Rapid City, SD
Have a C30 and need to install a bow eye. Need to know how long of shank I need on the bow eye and the proper location on the bow.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've seen Bow Eyes on European fishing boats but not on a Catalina ...
Eyes of Osiris
Eyes of Osiris.jpg
They always look cross-eyed to me..
BowEyes.jpg
Or perhaps a Tow Eye is what is imagined...
tow eye.JPG
but not sure why you want to tow a Catalina 30...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The West catalog has "bow eyes" and "U-bolts" as "bow eyes" but makes no mention of "Tow Eyes". Nomenclature, please. I put a bow eye on my B323, mainly to secure a line from bow to stern to control the dighy when waxing the hull. Also for attaching a second anchor if necessary or a spinnaker tack line or the dinghy when in a circle raft. They are not just for towing, Toto.
The OP should get the 1/2 dia, longest one he can find. I will put an eye nut on the anchor locker end to secure the rode to. If not planning to tow with it, can you get by with an eye NUT?

Nov 27, 2017
What I meant by bow eye/bow hook is being able to attach a winch cable on the bow to winch the boat snug against a v block when loading to the trailer. We don’t have the luxury of a lift and have to do a float on float off launching and retrevial.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Brian Dail take a look at the way the Tow Bow would attach. It has 4 bolts that you can place two backing plates in a strong place on your bow. This would give you a good place to attach a cable and apply a winch to pull the boat.
The typical U bolt would not be as strong.
Your Catalina is a heavy boat.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Are the bow cleats too high for your purpose. I just dislike drilling more holes in a boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I've toyed with adding a Bow Eye on my 36 - mostly as a way to affix a bob stay -- Most come with very long threads, but be sure and use a good backing plate and thickened epoxy on the inside.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Go to Catalina direct and check out specs for the replacement part from them, then buy it from them or match up from a marine store. They will even tell you the dimensions on the phone if you are old school.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
What I meant by bow eye/bow hook is being able to attach a winch cable on the bow to winch the boat snug against a v block when loading to the trailer. We don’t have the luxury of a lift and have to do a float on float off launching and retrevial.
Sailboats are not winched unto a trailer but are floated on. The bow eye is used to guide the boat to the bunks and to secure the boat to the trailer for road travel. If the boat cannot be floated on it is likely that the ramp is too shallow and the trailer may require a tongue extension. If the bow does not align with the V Bow Stop then the ramp's angle is too shallow or too steep and the recommended solution is to reposition the stop. Have seen and heard of bow eyes pulled out of boats trying to winch them on. There are two schools one feels that a backing plate should be used and the other to just use the screws and nuts, I guess the logic is that in the eventuality of damage a couple of small holes would be better than a whole chunk. Most OEM installed bow eyes I have seen on boats do not have backing plates. Hopes this gives you some ideas.

Nov 27, 2017
Essentially, the boat would be floated, more or less, into place on the keel pad and guides. The bow eye/hook would mostly function to keep the boat in place when pulling out or to keep it from uncontrolled floating when launching

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Essentially, the boat would be floated, more or less, into place on the keel pad and guides. The bow eye/hook would mostly function to keep the boat in place when pulling out or to keep it from uncontrolled floating when launching
Could not have said it better.