Bought a Hunter 25 today

Dec 14, 2010
Hunter 25 Luna Pier, Michigan, USA
Hi all,

I had been lurking for a long time and decided to join only to realize I was a long lost member here, haha, so I am back.

So today was a big day, I bought my first cabin sailboat, my sailing in the past has been on Hobies and Sunfish, so it's a big day for me. She's a 1974, has the pop top on her and is just mostly in need of attention, some money would be involved of course but it's more of a time and effort thing to make her ship shape again. The hull and decks are sound as is the hardware from what I can tell. The thing has more sails than there are stars in the universe it seems. 2 mains (one never flown), 2 jibs, a never flown Genoa, spinnaker as well as a storm jib and what I think is a try sail. She is the deep keel version but was run around once upon a time catching the keel, but the guy I got it from fixed it up well and even gave it new keel bolts in the process.

So with that in mind lets get on to what she needs.
1) A helluva cleaning
Not much mold, no portobellos growing from the galley but the typical nasties from being unused for 10+ years.
2) Electrical
Guy I bought it from was an electrician in his younger days and he insists on a new fuse box and new wiring. This is probably its biggest issue/biggest hurdle for me on this boat. Electrical isn't something I am super familiar with but I got some friends who do. Just a matter of getting the right stuff for something simple. I want at least one wall plug in cabin, power for the VHF and depth finder, a few cabin lights and of course to be on the up and up with my nav lights. Could use some advice here for what all to get in regards to materials.

3) Rigging
The hardware looks good but it looks like the sheets for basically everything are toast. Finding the needed rope is no issue I just need to know the routing of where everything goes. This is a far more complex rig compared to a Hobie or (especially) a Sunfish, so it's not something I've worked on before.

4) Finish/Improve the cabin
While it's not gutted it is partly apart and In need of attention. The bulkhead may need replaced (plywood part not the beam going from the floor to the roof), everything wood needs varnished, insides all need scraped and painted, the carpet liner is in sorry shape and needs replaced. Also Id like to add a stove.

So after that long rambling mess of a post here's what I need guidance and advice on.

1) Does anyone have a owners manual for this boat? PDF or physical copy, doesn't matter. I ask this with focus on hoping there's an electrical diagram and also needing keel bolt toque specs and rigging info.
2) Any advice on cleaning off the old adhesive for the carpet liner? I was thinking of a hot solvent, something stronger than xylene but not killer like MEK, am I in the ballpark on this one?
3) Have a look at my profile picture, that's the boat, does that look like and bottom job you've ever seen as a finished product? Guy is trying to say that what anti-fouling paint looks like, which I find very hard to Believe. Never used nothing with cooper in it so I don't know even though I was a painter once.
4) I will post this in the classifieds too but does anyone have the motor mount for this boat that they would be willing to sell? The dude took the outboard bracket off and lost the damn thing. The mounts going into the transom are still there but the rest of the assembly is gone. Please contact me if you got something, I don't want to buy new for that.
5) As many pictures you can provide of Hunter 25 of this vintage. I just want to see what everyone else is doing with theirs.

I will keep this updated periodically as I get this boat up and going again. Thanks and Im glad to be back.

Regards

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard (again?) Colin .. Check out Maine Sail's website for some great info on some particulars of the project you are embarking on.. Especially check out "Bedding Deck Hardware" to save yourself some heartburn in the future.. There are spots with electrical "how-to" info that are really great info..
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
Manual is available on this site.

I used a chisel and course sandpaper to remove the carpet wall covering.

Do a bottom job, coatings have gotten so much better it won't hurt.

There are some pictures here, sailing texas has a lot of archived for sale ads with lots of pictures

Dec 14, 2010
Link to the manual? I only can find the 25s from the next generation.

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
Go to the Hunter 25 info center, downloads, at the bottom is 73-83 drawings/manual

Dec 14, 2010
I found that earlier today, had a wiring diagram on there too, so that's a plus. Still would like to find a full manual but for now this will do. Thanks John

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had a H25 back in the day and it did not have a manual that was specific to the boat. Hunter just had a generic "boat" manual with pages about safety, regulations, etc. The only details about the boat were in the compilation of drawings (electrical; plumbing; rigging, etc) mentioned above.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Congratulations on your new adventure!

Re your quest for the 25 manual. As just described by JohnT, best I could ever determine over my 10 years of Cherubini Hunter ownership is that back in the mid-late 1970's and early 80's, things were very different about owners' manuals than they are now. It seems that Hunter didn't issue a specific manual for every boat model. Just one "cover them all" would do. Probably they did modify it over the years of the production runs, but really very little has shown up on the internet for downloading. Just best efforts by owners to pdf them.

The attached three pdf's contain one version.

And this link to a Cherubini Hunter 27 manual (from the 27_75_84 here on SBO) has some other drawings/diagrams that might give insights also to your boat's construction. In particular the drawing of the hull to deck arrangement is good to know.

https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_27_75-84_17800797.pdf

Attachments

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks for the info everyone! I emailed Marlow-Hunter about a manual and they sent me a PDF of the complete manual(s) for the old 25s. I'll share them in the resources here if I can figure out how to.

Just a update on my boat, our biggest issue right now is getting it home, it sits on a trailer that has sunk into the ground some and the tires are about a foot off the bead....not that that matters much they have very bad dry rotting. Hopefully in a few days I can muster enough help to get the trailer airborne and get the tires situated.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I bought a 77 Oday 25. It sat for many years. I had to rewire the entire boat. We filled up a trash can with old melted wire, melted switches etc. Lucky it never caught fire. I added several extra circuits, like pressure water pump, wash down pump, 1000 watt inverter, etc. 12 volt is simple, Get Nigel Calders book on electrical systems, it is well worth the money.

Dec 14, 2010
I stumbled across this diagram and electrical finally made sense to me, like a light bulb went off in my head (sorry for the bad pun lol). I think a fuse box with the positive and negative busses together is the ticket. My system I have in my head is pretty simple, bilge, nav lights, VHF, three cabin lights and maybe a wall plug with the nifty USB ports in between the plugs. Sounds like it don't much matter between breakers or fuses, it's a preference thing it seems like.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
You may want to wait and check what you have first. My electrical on my O'Day was a rat nest of added wires and during the test sail sort of worked with one bow light, stern light and 2 cabin lights all on the 12v / DC side. After a weekend of messing around and cleaning out lose wires and trash under the cockpit nothing on the 12v DC side worked. This weekend with some help I managed to restore the power to the original O'day fuse / switch panel, verify all switches had power and functioned properly, restored power to all navigation lights (bow and stern) and cabin lights. The wires running to the circuits from the panel turned out to be in good shape, the issue was the bus bars that were added were hosed up. I was ready to rerun the entire boat, but instead removed all the half donkey stuff left behind and clean up the connections. I plan to add 2 bus bars, 1 positive and 1 negative, to set myself up for the rest of the electrical adds as I go.

Dec 14, 2010
John T, that is the current game plan, if I can salvage the old box that would be a plus for sure but the thing is need a full rewire I am sure of it. Most of the wire Ive actually handled on the boat is losing its coating. But if I can reuse that box that's a some savings for me for other things the ex owner lost, like the spreaders now.

Jun 21, 2007
I emailed Marlow-Hunter about a manual and they sent me a PDF of the complete manual(s) for the old 25s. I'll share them in the resources here if I can figure out how to.
Colin: Please figure out how to post the pdf manual that you were successful getting from Hunter-Marlow. I think that most requests to them through the years resulted in a "we no longer have those" response. So what you have is something quite different.

If the pdf you received from them is below about 2.0 mega bytes in size, just reply to this post using the upload file option. When prompted, go to the pdf you have saved on your computer/device.

Jun 21, 2007
Colin2010:

Thanks for downloading the "manuals" you received from Hunter.

Do you recall the name of the person at Hunter-Marlow that provided these to you? I am curious to see what they might provide specific to my model Cherubini Hunter. A 36' 1980-82.

rardi

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Hey don't forget... when you get tired of the 25... keep a lookout for the Hunter Boat Stretcher Kit... I think it only goes up in size to a 33 though... ;)
Mike Thomas was the person who I've had contact with at Marlow-Hunter for documents as well!
I didn't ask for him specifically... just emailed them asking for any files they could send me.
I've been impressed with M-H and their customer support... well... sort of 'customer' support seeing as how I purchased a 1985 28.5 used that had nothing to do with them! ;)

Dec 14, 2010
Mike Thomas was also the fella who got in contact with me. Unfortunately my deal fell through and I didn't end up with the boat, but I got my money back so that's a plus. It sucks but, while I don't mind DIY, I am more of a sailor than a restoration guy, that thing was far from sail away condition. So looks like I am still looking, I'll find something in better shape this time. Great replies tho, I know I have a place I can ask questions and get answers. Glad I could contribute to the resources here in the process tho!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sorry to hear that it feel through. If you are on Facebook, there is a group called Sailboat Swap Shop and there are a lot of post for boats for sail, seems like a lot in your area too. There is also a O'Day Owners group and they are posted there as well. There is an O'Day 23, 1976, with trailer, in sailing condition the owner is selling for $1500 because she is an empty nester and lost her crew (kids) this year. Boat looks amazing and was sailed regularly last year. I almost grabbed my money and made the 600 mile trip to get it but I really need to focus on my boat. If it was a O'Day 25 with trailer I probably would have popped on it for the trailer alone.