bottom paint

Aug 10, 2013
Catalina 36 MKII 1721 New London Crockers Boat Yard
Once i've sanded down the bottom paint is it necessary to use a primer? I've sanding down to the gel coat. I'm not sure what the previous owner used for paint. I'm planning on using Pettit Hydrocoat Eco. The boat will be sailing long Island sound

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Hydrocoat Eco has not been very effective in LIS. It's a very high fouling area, as you probably know. You'd do much better with the Hydrocoat SR.
Also, if sanding to bare gelcoat I advise you to do a barrier coat to prevent osmosis. (Barrier coat is not needed to make the paint adhere.)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Since the sanding is the hard part, I'd put a layer of barrier coat on while the bottom is clean before I start with bottom paint.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I would put a barrier coat on before the bottom paint. I use Pettit products as well. Give Pettit a call, I used what was recommended for my area and have been very pleased. A good barrier coat will protect your glass and keep you from getting blisters.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sanding sucks. I'd highly recommend using TotalBoat's TotalStrip with a paint roller. Much faster and easier. My preferred method was to slap it on with a brush, spread it around with a roller, cover it with wax paper. After waiting it will look like this or completely fall off on its own
Stripping Bottom Paint.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sanding sucks. I'd highly recommend using TotalBoat's TotalStrip with a paint roller. Much faster and easier. My preferred method was to slap it on with a brush, spread it around with a roller, cover it with wax paper. After waiting it will look like this or completely fall off on its own
View attachment 162925
I have posted several times on how to make this peel away stuff for very little money. If you go to post #4 of this thread you will find the recipe.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/bottom-stripping.194052/#post-1494046

Aug 10, 2013
Catalina 36 MKII 1721 New London Crockers Boat Yard
Thanks for all your advice. I like the peel away method, perhaps next time in a couple years. Sanding sucks.

Fair winds

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would highly recommend you contact Sherwin Williams before wasting your hard earned money on 'name brand' yacht bottom paints. We've been using their Sea Voyage ($100+_ ) for some years and it works every bit as well as the $300.00 a gallon stuff.
It isn't perfect and down here we have to begin hand scrubbing after about 6 months, but just the soft stuff and no barnacles yet. That's better than any Sea Hawk product we've ever used AND it actually stays on the boat!
Next time we plan to use their #45 Antifouling as it is designed for slow moving harbor work craft like tugs and barges, which is much more suitable for our type of craft also, we just were not able to get it this year. They certainly made up for it by selling us the Sea Voyage for us$7.50 (or $50.00 TT) a gallon!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I was just talking to a local company that does a lot of bottom coating.
First off, barrier coat while it's easy to do and then don't worry about blisters later. He uses Interprotect 2000E.
But when bottom coating for the first time (or switching anti-fouling) he always puts on a thin coat of 2000E to the gel coat (or the already cured 2000E if present) and then applies the barrier coat as soon as the 2000E is "just tacky".
He claims this works much like a primer and the barrier coat is much less likely to crack and peel. Of course, this does not apply to VC17 or similar but to the harder coatings that tend to accumulate layers and then crack and peel.
I have no idea if this is sound advice other than he has a couple decades experience in the business and swears by it.

Chris

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If barrier coat was not applied when new, or the boat is more that 10 years old, it's probably a very good idea to do IP2000E since you say you're going to bare glass anyway..